UKBouldering.com

Gaskins Returns! (Read 5278 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Gaskins Returns!
May 12, 2008, 04:18:45 pm
C'mon Greg, shout it from the roof-tops, this is what we want to hear!

Quote from: Greg Chapman http://lakesbloc.co.uk
A recent chance meeting with John Gaskins this week gave us the opportunity to probe the world's strongest climbing enigma on his recent comings and goings.

As you may be aware, after the shabby treatment he received at the hands of Markus Bock and others a few years back, John had taken a step back from the limelight and his intense climbing regime - obviously losing much of his faith in his fellow climbing brethren - to concentrate more time on his family and the more accommodating sport of running. Over the last year or two he has "dabbled" in and out of the sport in which he made his name, re-climbing such lines as Cloning Technology (8a+) and adding the odd endurance link to his local limestone crags, but for the most part he's flown under the radar and stuck to endurance ground, that whilst hardcore for most, is at a relatively modest level by his old standards.

On meeting John this week I couldn't help but notice the fact that he looked physically much stronger compared with our last meeting some 9 or 10 months back - forearms that could power a jackhammer anyone? On commenting as such to him he stated that he had recently put his campus board back up, been back on his training board and even been out and about "a bit" over the previous winter and spring.

John's most notable ascent over the last few months would have to be a new 8b+(?) at Woodwell, in the shape of a reverse of Anesthesia (see image below). This starts at the far right of the buttress and traverses leftward to a point a couple of hand moves right of the original start, before climbing up to the break – a 7c/+ in its own right! John wouldn't actual comment on the grade other than saying it was significantly harder than the original. Also of note John repeated Greg Chapman's fine gritstone test piece, Outer Reach (8a) at Thorn Crag. A line which over the last couple of years has seen attempts from a number of strong climbers, but until now rebuffed all comers.

KH

• addict
#1 Re: Gaskins Returns!
May 12, 2008, 05:17:33 pm
Awesome!

As a bog standard boulderer, it's really inspiring to hear about the things that people like Gaskins are climbing.

It's a poorer bouldering world when the news of ascents from the likes of Richard Simpson and Malcolm Smith dries up.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#2 Re: Gaskins Returns!
May 12, 2008, 05:34:54 pm
Like they have now, you mean?   :whistle:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#3 Re: Gaskins Returns!
May 12, 2008, 09:16:30 pm
i love jg.
now, shall we raise some money for him to pay a decent photographer to take his climbing pics?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#4 Re: Gaskins Returns!
May 12, 2008, 11:39:25 pm
I heard a story that following his ascent of Shadow Play 8C at little font (spoken of reverently by lakes locals as one of the most impossible looking bits of rock they have ever seen) he was going to go back with Ray Woods to get some photos. No doubt these would have been incredible. Sadly, it rained on the appointed day and the photo never happened.

That poster of JG on Violent New Breed is pretty impressive though.

KH

• addict
#5 Re: Gaskins Returns!
May 13, 2008, 12:38:02 am
Like they have now, you mean?   :whistle:

As I said, bouldering /climbing is for me the poorer for not recently having had people like MS and RS, as well as JG up to now, beasting the hardest testpieces and letting us mortals hear about it.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#6 Re: Gaskins Returns!
May 13, 2008, 07:22:26 am
You don't feel that's a tad vicarious?

Incidentally, I saw had a vision of Gaskins w/ his wife/photographer and The Holy Ghost on Diesel Power @ Roadside, one time.  LH on the slotty hold (which as anyone who has been in that position will tell you is rather like doing a one-armed front lever on a crimp).

JG ~ Which one looks best?  He asks *feels around on the crimpy rail for his RH*  Is it this one?  *Locks LH solidly and casually probes the next hold and the one after that*

Mrs JG ~ *Looking through viewfinder* No, the other one looks better from here.

JG ~ You think?  *Moves RH hand back down to lowest hold remaining rigid as a corpse on the LH*

I don't remember much after that.  I recall seeing purple clouds roll across the sky at triple speed then being overcome w/ bright light as an Orff-like choir split the valley assunder w/ a fierce crescendo . . .   And I woke up back home, drenched in sweat, thinking I was Damien, next doors' dog just wouldn't stop barking . . .

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#7 Re: Gaskins Returns!
May 13, 2008, 07:52:25 am
Ah, good news indeed.  Welcome back Mr G.

We should definitely have a Gaskins T-Shirt!!

KH

• addict
#8 Re: Gaskins Returns!
May 13, 2008, 01:37:50 pm
You don't feel that's a tad vicarious?

Maybe, but I've always been impressed with how people like MS and RS get brutally strong and then go on to crush new/existing problems.  I'll just have to make do with news of Uncle working his way through Font's hardest problems!

andy_e

• forum hero
#9 Re: Gaskins Returns!
May 14, 2008, 10:25:12 am
YES! Johnny G is back in business, the balance is restored. Who's up for visiting the church of woodwell every sunday?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#10 Re: Gaskins Returns!
May 14, 2008, 10:31:50 am
Why don't you camp outside his house?  Maybe you'll get a glimspe of him; maybe you will get the chance to touch him.

Powdered Gaskin's toenails/hair shavings are doing brisk business on e-bay these days, analysts forecast they will overtake creatine and EPO usage in the near future...

Doylo

• forum hero
#11 Re: Gaskins Returns!
May 16, 2008, 06:39:08 pm
Why don't you camp outside his house?  Maybe you'll get a glimspe of him; maybe you will get the chance to touch him.

we should, we all should really!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal