UKBouldering.com

The Woodwell virgin (Read 2421 times)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
The Woodwell virgin
August 31, 2003, 08:39:03 pm
I'd planned to go to Longridge but I had time to kill. As I passed the turn off on the M6 I was reminded of Chris's comments - 'its only 20 miles further on' so I continued. I'd printed the topos off LakesBloc, and I'm acutely aware that I rarely stray from the Peak so I put the pedal to the metal and carried on up norf.

It did only take a few minutes more to get up to Carnforth, then its a short drive through Warton towards Silverdale before you turn off for the well. You park up in a quiet bay beside the well which looks to me more like a giant cattle feeding trough, then out came the topo and into the trees I went in search of steep slimestone. I was not disappointed! Its only about 100 metres to the first bits of climable rock - Pylon buttress, I was initially disappointed so I carried on past to Toms roof which is where Gaskins V14 - Kaizan creation lives (there are no holds!), I stopped there and did Whats this for, Screaming Slave and some of the easy traverses before a lakes dude turned up and told me to check out O'ert Road. I flailed on The beauty of being numb (I'm claiming that it was in the direct sunlight and thats why rather than admitting I'm crap on pinches) and then walked back to the car.

You leave woodwells car park and drive about 200 metres back towards Warton to park for o'ert road, then you must bushwack through fairly dense forest to get to the crags, but its worth it! As I arrived at the main buttress, my first thoughts were that I had found a giant sharp cragx with killer landings! the rock quality is awesome and some of the lines are inspiring, make sure you take a pad with you though as there are massive boulders underneath and the climbing's all quite hard! I did Blood Sugar Sex Magic and Angel Deelight before packing up and heading back down to Manchester in time for tea.

O'ert Road has some of the best Limestone bouldering I have ever seen, I throughly recommend you check it out! Its easy to find, theres next to no walk in and the climbing is incredible. Mr Gaskins is f*cking hardcore too. Some of the stuff he has put up looks sick sick sick hard! Get to it!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 The Woodwell virgin
August 31, 2003, 08:44:18 pm
Good day out geeza - nice one  :D

Nigel

• forum hero
#2 The Woodwell virgin
August 31, 2003, 08:59:02 pm
Pretty good eh! Glad you enjoyed it, nice to see rave reviews for the place. People always seem to go to the normal Woodwell and then say its shit, without going O'ert Road which is miles better (well, only the best limestone steepness around). Obviously you'll confirm that AD is an absolute classic, although Blood Sugar seems a strange choice (not that its crap, just less of a line than others). Good effort on it though, pretty technical what what? Check out Lakesbloc for beta on Turbulence, for your next visit. Anything else you need to know about here or the area, now's the time to ask...

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#3 The Woodwell virgin
August 31, 2003, 09:21:59 pm
Pretty inspiring stuff!

Now I've got the new motor I'll definitely make my way up there!

Limestone's definitely my thing, although V14's a bit beyond my abilities.

Nigel

• forum hero
#4 The Woodwell virgin
September 01, 2003, 11:01:31 am
Btw I'll be there tonight if anyone wants any beta on any problems...

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#5 The Woodwell virgin
September 01, 2003, 11:03:48 am
You bugger! I'd love to be there tonight, but 2.5 hours away from Sheffield is not a good look on a monday!

Turbulence did look good, I think I might be allergic to jams.

Nigel

• forum hero
#6 The Woodwell virgin
September 01, 2003, 12:15:17 pm
You don't actually have to jam, you can go from the pocket on the lip straight round to the mono, which is probably the easiest way if you're tall. The fingerlock for the first move is a bit harder to eliminate, but it can be done. Doesn't really count as a jam though since it doesn't hurt! None of the pain on this problem is a patch on Lilypond Walk mind - ouch!

Nigel

• forum hero
#7 The Woodwell virgin
September 01, 2003, 09:06:16 pm
Missed some cracking conditions tonight boys and girls!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal