UKBouldering.com

enough is enough (Read 9740 times)

dave

enough is enough
May 09, 2008, 01:21:47 pm
I just thought this would be a good point to establish if this whole thing is actually going anywhere. People have been churning out ideas now for over 3 months and to me it doesn't look like we're anywhere near finding anything we all like (I could well be wrong). The posting and responses on these t-shirt threads seem to be from a relatively small group of users, so it would be good to find out what everyone else really thinks on a poll, anonymously if you fancy.

I mean to make the whole T-shirt printing thing worthwhile we'd have to make sure that enough people would actually buy one, and with the range of users we've got these days I have a nagging doubt that we'll not find a single design that everyone would go with if we stick with this for a month of sundays. In which case, it may just be better to sack it off and everyone stick a tenner into the donation pot. Or everyone could be happy with one of the existing designs, so lets find out.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1 Re: enough is enough
May 09, 2008, 01:34:25 pm
i have seen many designs i'd buy, but you know, us italians dig fashion.
the crest one is ace, and i really liked the spotter one. and the idea of the members' names.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#2 Re: enough is enough
May 09, 2008, 01:55:25 pm
The anyone for Danny's t shirt was a fucking cool design whether you know Dense or not. A peahead on a muscular body is always going to be funny.

I toyed with the idea of something to do with a sawn off lapis design incorporating an 80s and gangster vibe but haven't ended up with anything I'm yet happy with.

Stubbs

#3 Re: enough is enough
May 09, 2008, 01:58:23 pm
Big fan of Rich's designs, particularly the spotter and the zombie arm, but to be honest the guy has obviously got talent and I'd happily pay for any of the designs he's come up with so far.

galpinos

• forum hero
#4 Re: enough is enough
May 09, 2008, 02:15:00 pm

I only ever check this site at work and a lot of the images don't show.

However, there seems to be plenty of support for Rich's designs and if the money (will there be any profit?) goes to Bubba. the running of the site and maybe Rich (if his design is used) then I'd buy one anyway.

Paz

• junky
#5 Re: enough is enough
May 09, 2008, 02:19:24 pm
I don't know what Durham was like Dave but a lot of student mountaineering clubs do nothing but make T-shirts these days it seems to me, and every fucker in them buys one, especially the ones who've little to do with the main activity it advertises your supposed interest in.  This is maybe not the most representative crowd to extrapolate from to deduce UKBers' buying habits, but I maintain some people just like T-shirts.  

Can we have a voting option for `yes I'd buy it, but I wouldn't necessarily wear it'?  I'd by a hard wearing plain one in a photogenic colour if it supported the site.  

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#6 Re: enough is enough
May 09, 2008, 02:45:35 pm
 :agree: I personally vote for the crest.

nik at work

• forum hero
#7 Re: enough is enough
May 09, 2008, 02:58:55 pm
I'd buy one, any design either something already suggested or something else.
As has been said above Rich obviously has talent, and some of the other ideas have been good also. But at the end of the day it's about supporting UKB.
It would be interesting to look in a crytal ball and see which would raise more money, a t-shirt or a (renewed) request that people make a donation.

I guess a t-shirt is publicity as well as money.

Out of interest Rich how do you do your work? Do you work out your design on paper than transport it to computer, sketch rough ideas on paper then work them up on computer or just do it all on computer? And which program(s) do you use? Just curious...

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: enough is enough
May 09, 2008, 04:15:57 pm
I don't have time in my lunch to do preliminary sketches or owt fancy, so I..
bang out a loose drawing in pencil
then straightover the top with a decent marker pen
scan it in and clean the lines up in photieshop
draw some colour in with me wacom set up
All done.

Thanks for the nice words

nik at work

• forum hero
#9 Re: enough is enough
May 09, 2008, 04:21:01 pm
Thanks for the answer, it would seem I can't blame by lack of artistic ability on poor computer knowledge....

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#10 Re: enough is enough
May 09, 2008, 04:31:10 pm
Nik, just blame your bad jeans.
Ba da boom.

chappers

• forum hero
#11 Re: enough is enough
May 09, 2008, 06:07:31 pm
im in for the crest one, even with the yyfy logo below it because it is quite subtle.

(secretly i want moo's WWGD? tee)

Duma

• forum hero
#12 Re: enough is enough
May 09, 2008, 09:46:06 pm
Think there's some fine artistic endevour gone on here, but basically apart from the plain text ones and anyone for dannys...? they all remind me horribly of uni club tops, and that's not something I could bring myself to buy. Do like rich's illustrations though, just not on a shirt - you thought of doing a climbing comic?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#13 Re: enough is enough
May 09, 2008, 10:10:09 pm
I think this slagging off of uni clubs is a bit harsh. Leeds didn't do tees or hoodies this year but will be next year. The club is not full of wads but most are very keen climbers at our own respective levels. Personally I would get a hoody just because I'm proud to be part of the club. I've never really felt patriotic or loyal to the monarchy or anything before but I have a sense of pride knowing that I'm in a club where the likes of Syrett have gone before me.
Sure there are a few people in uni clubs who are strictly social climbers (fine by me) but I think there are many more who have just as much right to call themselves climbers as the next man. Probably the reason that this large group of people is not recognised is because they behave like any other climber at the crag and blend in well. Leeds Uni put up very few top ropes this year and will probably be doing even less next year.

Duma

• forum hero
#14 Re: enough is enough
May 09, 2008, 10:13:54 pm
Apologies, didn't mean to slag uni clubs off - hell I used to run one! (and produced two t-shirts, and bought a hoody) Neverless, I don't want to look like a member of one anymore...

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: enough is enough
May 09, 2008, 10:28:18 pm
I feel like a hypocrit as I am unilkely to wear a t-shirt I designed out and about, though paradoxically I would probably buy one (atleast to support UKB).

So I reckon we should all get UKB YES YES FUCKING YES tattoos.

Show your colours mutha flippers.

Lets not fuck about here.

Dr T

• forum hero
#16 Re: enough is enough
May 09, 2008, 10:42:35 pm
Big fan of Rich's designs, particularly the spotter
second, third, fourth whatever that design - pukka

(woz)

• forum abuser
#17 Re: enough is enough
May 10, 2008, 07:20:42 am
I think the 'crest' design is gash. I would get one to support ukb, but not wear it if there was a chance anyone could ever see it.
Having said that I really like some of rich's other stuff. Especially the lady one. That and Danny's are my favs.

andy_e

• forum hero
#18 Re: enough is enough
May 10, 2008, 11:49:26 am
not wear it if there was a chance anyone could ever see it.

If there's a chance anyone might see you, you usually don't wear any top  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal