UKBouldering.com

Why Broccolli? (Read 4087 times)

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 08:51:49 am
yo,
      heard the stories of Malc training and mostly (or only?) eating broccoli in order to loose weight. Why broccolli, can anyone shed any light on this?

Tim

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#1 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 10:45:22 am
It's not just the broccoli, it's the oats and the breeding, your dad's got to have a beard.

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 10:46:40 am
 :shrug:

galpinos

• forum hero
#3 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 11:23:44 am

Judging by your avatar you've certainly got the beard Serpico!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#4 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 11:31:20 am
timb,
broccoli were part of malc's dieting regime. they are very rich in many important elements and very low in calories. as malc says in an interview, "steak and broccoli for bouldering!"

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 11:49:38 am
Thanks Nible,
                   was just wondering why broccoli's and not cauliflower or, sprouts, or cabbage or etc etc. guess the answer is as you said that broccoli probably is the optimum for low calorie high fibre nutrition with probably a low calorie to volums ratio so making you feel full with relatively little calories. 

cheers
tim

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 12:10:27 pm
didn't he faint at the tor one day?

I was told that Malc and someone (stuey cameron?) had a week or two competitive dieting and when said somebody was losing, he decided to eat nothing but carrots for the rest of the week which ended up covering him in some gnarly orange rash.

webbo

• forum hero
#7 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 12:31:27 pm
Thanks Nible,
                   was just wondering why broccoli's and not cauliflower or, sprouts, or cabbage or etc etc.  

cheers
tim

probably as broccoli is slightly more edible raw than the others.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#8 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 12:57:27 pm
Forget broccolli, get some tripes down yer!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 01:59:29 pm
A mate of mine in SA decided an all citrus diet for a week would be a good idea. Went OK until he got gout in his big toes and couldn't wear his climbing shoes.

Paz

• junky
#10 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 02:11:59 pm
Houdini I finally found wild Garlic growing locally at the weekend.  Even my farts smelt garlicy by monday. 

why broccoli and not cauliflower or, sprouts, or cabbage or etc etc.  
probably as broccoli is slightly more edible raw

And the fact that the others are minging.  There're some good cabbages (Kebab shops seem to regard this as a salad ingredient, and it is sweeter raw but I'd slowly braise it with onion and whole spices) but I also like Kale (not at the moment though) and Spring Greens (currently) as great cheaper alternatives.  You can also get purple sprouting brocolli in a month or so, though the supermarket stuff is shit, you want the wild leafy stuff, the leaves is the shit.  White sprouting is delicious too.  Spinach would be a good alternative too but it's expensive, presumably because supermarkets have realised how much they can charge yuppies for pre packaged, trimmed and cleaned salad leaves.  I prefer the stuff that's as big as the leaves on the Rhubarb down Cheedale.  Frozen peas are brilliant - they just need a couple of blanchs in boiling water and they're warm and edible, and are sweet too, in contrast to most greens being bitter and irony. 

I'd also like to plug Dhal and Urad Chana (Brown chickpeas?) with beef stock, tomato and loads of chilli (they're nuttier than chick peas). 

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#11 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 03:19:42 pm
I'd love to find wild garlic outdoors.  It's quite expensive in the shops €1-2 for a small bunch.  The tiny white flwers are really pretty and there's a lovely scent.

We use as much as we can shredded, especially in green salads or tomato/mozzarella salads.   

dave

#12 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 03:22:56 pm
I'd love to find wild garlic outdoors.   

go to almost any UK limestone venue thats in woodland, it'll reek of the stuff.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#13 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 03:23:51 pm
Finally!   A reason to visit lime!   8)

Kingy

• forum hero
#14 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 03:28:09 pm
Malc's diet resulted in him getting a skin tone described as 'cellophane stuffed with sausage meat'  :o

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#15 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 03:35:09 pm
What a minging image (though not as bad as his hair do around the time he did Hubble   ???). 

Dieting, deeply unhealthy by the sound of it.       

Kingy

• forum hero
#16 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 03:46:03 pm
Yeah that 'fro was never gonna last!!  :lol:

IanP

• forum abuser
#17 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 09, 2008, 08:08:35 pm
Thanks Nible,
                   was just wondering why broccoli's and not cauliflower or, sprouts, or cabbage or etc etc. guess the answer is as you said that broccoli probably is the optimum for low calorie high fibre nutrition with probably a low calorie to volums ratio so making you feel full with relatively little calories. 

cheers
tim

Hopefully you just missed the the  ;) , I always assumed the broccoli thing was a just good line for OTE as opposed to a scientifically planned diet.  The extreme diet thing seemed to be all the rage at the time and spawned a couple of good Pokettz cartoons.

As to wild garlic, not sure how long the season is but the the valley leading to Lyme park via the west gate entrance was overrun by the stuff a month ago.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#18 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 12, 2008, 07:48:48 pm
I'd love to find wild garlic outdoors.   

go to almost any UK limestone venue thats in woodland, it'll reek of the stuff.

Beeston Torr stank of the bloody stuff on saturday.  That, with the incredible heat and vegetation, made me think I was climbing in a giant chinese stir-fry.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#19 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 12, 2008, 07:59:45 pm
aneasthesia buttress is a prime place for wild garlic harvesting

dave smith

• regular
#20 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 12, 2008, 08:03:26 pm
... but I also like Kale...

Kale, stir fried with some kind of chile sauce (such as Tabasco) is awesome. Wouldn't like to eat it on its own though!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#21 Re: Why Broccolli?
May 13, 2008, 08:53:58 am
This stuff was blown out of all proportion and most of these stories are bullshit. The brocolli thing was true but only because (as mentioned) Malc liked it and it was low cal. There wasn't a lot of science behind dieting or training then........ unless you were Smythe.

As an example, Malc did go through a phase of only drinking really strong black coffee at the crag (no water, even when it was hot, at Buoux) not for the caffeine but to dehydrate himself for lightness. I think this might have been why his brain turned to mush and he fell off after the crux on two 8cs due to cocking up the sequences.  :wall:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal