UKBouldering.com

Dave Graham, Chris Sharma & Reel Rock - UK Venues (Read 14540 times)

MattH

• menacing presence
Fair pont re dissing the forum. It was a kneejerk reaction to the fact that, regardless of the commercial nature of the post, I thought there would be a little more positive feedback about the fact that Dave, and hopefully Chris, are coming over to do some climbing. The number of times I have heard climbers bemoaning the fact that foreign beats don't come over to the UK very often is many. Granted, I make a living (a fairly modest one at that) out of climbing, but believe it or not my motivation is not purely commercial. Ever since I started out with the business I've made it my aim to put as much back into climbing as possible.

Given the comments in the post I'm considering makikng a donation based on the fact that I've made numerous posts here over the years, but guys, can I make a request that there's a little less negativity in your posts :-).

p.s. consider me a cynic, but when climbers post on forums (UKClimbing, granted) of ways to get into my events for free it makes it difficult to always keep a balanced viewpoint. Perhaps not the correct attotude I know, but I'm just saying nobody's perfect...

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Come on guys... I know the weather's not been brilliant recently, but let's all  :kiss1:  :kiss2: and make up!

P.S. Can we set Shamra and Dave on Violent Nu Breed please? Or maybe Big Bang at Pen Trwyn?

MattH

• menacing presence
That's more like it :-)
I'll keep you posted if they have specific goals (which I am sure they will).

dave

I'd love to see what those boys make of gaskins shit like walk away SS and that type of thing, but would be a bit of a pisser for them to come all the way over here and have to go to the south lakes though. I mean I like woodwell as much as the next man but I wouldn't fly 10 hours to get there. Ditto for parisellas. They're going to want to check out the grit. shame there's nothing much really above 8b on grit, maybe they'll have to make do with The Ace and Voyager SS.

Or if its raining, hows about the Tor?

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Malham's almost certain to be in great condition in October, so how's about Rainshadow/Overshadow? An onsite of Cry Freedom? There's alway's a line or two at Kilnsey they could look at as well... :-\

Stubbs

Graham is such a hero - I hope they get some good weather - last October was pretty good wasn't it?  Sharma said at his lecture that he was quite psyched to check out Ste Mac's routes, although the idea of him coming from his home in Spain near to all of those awesome crags to climb at Malham was a little ridiculous.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Malham is pretty good I reckon. And Kilnsey - surely these are world class crags? I mean, I know Jibe famously drove past the tor thinking that couldnt be it, but those two are fairly awe inspiring imho? maybe I havent travelled enough.

Imagine what the crimping fingers of dave graham will do to the tor! he'll lay waste to routes I only dream of doing! My mind is boggling.

I just hope they get some reasonable weather.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Malham and Kilnsey are good crags, even by Euro standards. I recall seeing Marc Le Menestral at Kilnsey a few years back, seeking some cool conditions as everything in France and Spain was baking

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters

For those who are interested Lagerstarfish Events will be making good use of the rainy weather this coming winter by being in the pub. The "Masterclass" sessions will be in the form of peer-led unstructured forums where topics for discussion will include football, relationships, what we used to climb back in the day, whose round it is next and funny stuff we have on our mobile phones. I will be performing practical demonstrations of the dangers to health of binge drinking and the incompatibility of this practice with sustaining a happy relationship.

I notice that this has a similar business plan to those held by the Sloper Entertainment Corporation but the topics look far more interesting and your choice of panellists is of a far higher standard too - where do I sign up?

Also a quick warning to miss out on anything by McFiend Promotions unless you like discussing the disgraceful decline of ethics in climbing in the 21st Century over a half pint of beer with a side order of pork scratchings - its scary I tell thee...  ;)

bluebrad

n_man

• obsessive maniac
Samos - why was it so bad?

A quote from Percy B: I didn't see the Sharma lecture at C Works, but I have met Chris several times before and he is a pretty quiet and chilled guy, so the fact that he can give any sort of lecture is good on him (coupled with the fact that it amazes me that he can remain coherant with that quantity of THC in his bloodstream)!

I take the view (particularly if your not a great speaker) getting off your face isn't that clever a thing to do before you go out to speak. I had also heard that he was so out of it he was unable to recognise people he knew quite well!

Seems to me that if your asking people to give up time and money to see you......

Whyatt

• menacing presence
Get em at the cave of justice!, louie into clyde? in hell into pilgrimage!   

nik at work

• forum hero
Why come here to climb on limestone? There are loads of (better?) limestone venues all over the world.
The unique thing here is grit. My hope would be that if they do come and if the weather is good they would get on the grit routes and either:
a) Prove that it is a bit of over-hyped slightly highball bouldering climbed by a bunch of english wierdies, but really isn't that impressive or difficult
Or preferably
b) get spanked and run home crying to their mums.

Obviously they should try the grit bouldering also.

It is regularly stated that international rock heroes would crush poxy grit routes. So lets see them do it.

P.S. If you're looking for specific venues then I'd suggest Rivelin Quarries would be a good place to start....

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Warm grit is shite.   Also, I think imagining what your heroes may or may not be capable of is most vicarious.

nik at work

• forum hero
Dave Graham is planned for October and Sharma for Feb/March. Hardly the warmest of months.

Is your second point that you would rather imagine that your heroes can cruise grit than actually finding out for sure?
in that case I disagree. It's all nice and entertaining discussing whether or not Sharma could cruise Equilibrium over a nice cup of tea and a chocolate hob-nob or 5, but I wouldn't want him to avoid climbing grit just so me and my chums can indulge in a bit of speculative verbal wanking.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Warm grit is shite.

Dave Graham is coming over in October and Chris Sharma is here in February\March - even taking global warming into account it's not going to be that warm though it might well be a bit damp at times.

bluebrad

nik at work

• forum hero
Ha ha beat you....

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Doh!   Not reading closely enough.

My second point is that I have no climbing heroes (excepting A Dense Loner, obviously); they just ain't heroic enough . . .

nik at work

• forum hero
In that case I agree. I also don't have climbing heroes. There are climbers whose achievements I respect and climbers who I respect but not heroes.
I take back the use of the term "international rock hero" and suggest it be replaced with "top international performers currently in climbing". All other uses of "hero" or hero-esque terms should also be struck from the record and be replaced in a manner in accordance with the above.

I'd still like to see (or at least hear about) Sharma and Graham cruising/being spanked by the grit.

samos

Samos - why was it so bad?

... (coupled with the fact that it amazes me that he can remain coherant with that quantity of THC in his bloodstream)!

I take the view (particularly if your not a great speaker) getting off your face isn't that clever a thing to do before you go out to speak. I had also heard that he was so out of it he was unable to recognise people he knew quite well!

Seems to me that if your asking people to give up time and money to see you......

That's hilarious. I've watched most of Sharma's films and always thought he was high off his tits. Since I was always stoned myself, I was never sure of my intuition. Glad to hear I was actually on to something.

Amazing that he can push the limits in that state. I always just ended sitting in the sun pretending I was Dave Graham.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
That all depends on who decides to host. Am in negotiation with Transition Extreme, but as yet no other takers.

Works for me. Challenge them to eat two butteries and then climb. Anything. I suspect lagerfish would do it no worries though.

mark R

Was I the only person very disappointed with Sharma's lecture at The Works?
:agree: No you were not, there was a group of 8 of us at the Works, 2 walked out at the break! I must admit, Sharma is one of my all time hero's he may be able to climb like a demon, and also seems like a really good lad, but when it comes to a stand up lecture he definately needs a lot more redpoint practice for this!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal