UKBouldering.com

Is that resin (Read 2517 times)

Big Frank

• forum abuser
Is that resin
October 23, 2002, 11:32:12 am
At the niche at Brimham, low foot hold on problem 2.
Looks like it to me.
But what does it achieve?
Is it for friction aka pof or because the rock is crumbling.

If its for friction then it's an act of vandalism, but, and heres the point, what if it's there to preserve the rock, is this a good thing?

(This is not a troll, it is there and has been for sometime, who did it I dont know. It may not even be resin but the point is its worth the debate)

Also posted on RT, Sorry fellas, to see the diference if any to attitude.

dave

#1 Is that resin
October 23, 2002, 11:57:28 am
If its repair-type resin, then that sort of thing should only be undertaken with consultation of local climbers, BMC, land manager (i.e. that nice fella in the wax jacket with the dog at Brimham). So you would  expect to have heard about it if this is the case.

If its pof use, then I'd like to contribute a doorknob to your pillowcase.

Big Frank

• forum abuser
#2 Is that resin
October 23, 2002, 12:03:18 pm
I doubt if Jed (the warden) was consulted, and I'm pretty sure he would be against it for any reason. He's a climber by the way.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Is that resin
October 23, 2002, 12:50:07 pm
I've tried to raise this point several times before on other forums (fora?).

Obviously, if it's done for an individual's gain then they deserve to face the doorknobs, as it were.

But, if it's for preservation then fine....but....

Pof is not the answer as eventually you can't climb on those holds without using it (see some of the old Font problems). If that state was reached, then people would probably just start using it everywhere.

The stuff that's been done at the Bridestones seems to work quite well, but doesn't look quite right. I've emailed Al Williams in the past (he's done some good repair work at Robin Hood's Stride) and he said that although it's possible to repair holds well, it's difficult to get a good colour match, is time consuming and expensive. It's a bit much to expect any individual to fund this themselves, so who should fund it?

Does it need something like the various "bolt funds" that exist to keep fixed gear in good nick? If that were the case then I'm sure many would quite happily contribute. I'd like to suggest the BMC should get involved but as I'm not a member that's none of my business.

Now that everywhere carries a heavier load due to the upsurge in bouldering, it's only going to get worse  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal