UKBouldering.com

cresciano?? (Read 2305 times)

chris

• menacing presence
cresciano??
August 28, 2003, 04:17:09 pm
which airport do you fly to when going to cresciano?

has anyone been there? if so whats it like price wise, weather and accomodation. is it big area? read an article in ote ages ago, looks cool, loads of problems at all grades and easily accessible.

some info about the area, flights especially, problems and accommodation would be appreciated. cheers

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#1 cresciano??
August 29, 2003, 07:57:32 am
Spoke to Chris about this last night on the dog n bone, RyanAir have flights to Milan (Bergamo) for £1.99 - is Bergamo the right one though? Plus those flights are only available up to mid september - I've heard its too hot until at least october...

Magic Wood could be a goer though.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 cresciano??
August 29, 2003, 08:05:15 am
I know Si Panton has been out that way so he might be able to help with other locations around there.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#3 cresciano??
August 29, 2003, 09:48:30 am
I asked Mr Clifford and got this:

Cresciano might be warmish but still pretty good i think, it gets the sun for most of the day which is why it warms up quite a bit but because of the mountains it's in the shade from about 3.30 onwards. there is a good new guide (which we've got and i'm sure you can borrow). if it's too warm there, which is was a bit when we were there, then you can go up the road (half an hour) to chironico which is also really good and alot cooler because it gets more shade form the sun. there is a topo for the place on the web somewhere (german site i think). majic wood i haven't been to, hopefully next spring) but from what i here it'll be ok in october unless it snows. majic wood is much colder and makes it good through to summer (it's also quite a way from cresciano and chironico). as far as i know there is no topo so you'll just have to find someone who's been or turn up and hope there are ome locals there.
best place to fly to is one of the milan airports (malpenza is best which is only about and hour and a half from cresciano - cheap flights from manchester). i'm not sure of where to stay, there are gites but they see quite expensive unless there's quite a few of you. I know there is a gite at chironico. we had accomodation sorted for us just south of cresciano near locano (by the lake).
hope that's ok let me know if you need more info.
cheers
tim

dave

#4 cresciano??
August 29, 2003, 09:52:52 am
I'd love to go to "crishtianoff" (as jerry would say) some day, but i recon would be hard to drag myself/my Gs away from font.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#5 cresciano??
August 29, 2003, 11:28:50 am
I asked my hero (Ben Moon):

I don't know anything about Magic Wood although I have heard good reports.

For Cresciano fly Easy Jet to Milan and hire a car (about 1 hour drive).
There is a brand new guide but I am not sure what it is called or where to
get it. Actually you can buy it at a cafe on the main road just below
Cresciano (don't know the name).

Where to stay is tricky. Gites type places seem expensive. I have a number of a Swiss guy called Alex (speaks good English) who has houses in the region which I can give you. I don't think it will be that cold in October. Jan/Feb/March are best times. In October you might want to check Susten Pass. Not far away and looks to have a bit of good stuff. Very high up, might be snowed in.

Avoiding the Traitor

• forum abuser
#6 cresciano??
August 29, 2003, 11:35:36 am

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal