UKBouldering.com

Podcast recommendations ? (Read 3003 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Podcast recommendations ?
April 13, 2008, 01:52:16 pm

I'm now spending a lot of time out on the roads and the standard radio fodder soon gets old. I do have plenty of music on my iPod but also wondered if anyone had any good recommendations for podcasts.

I've subscribed to quite a few of the BBC ones, some digital photography ones, and some comedy ones but just wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for ones I should check out.

k-stone

#1 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 13, 2008, 04:48:32 pm
I think the Collings and Herrin podcast is good, bit rambling in places and sound quality not ace, but made me laugh. Daniel Kitson has a few podcasts, including one of his live shows. The short and sweet Philosophy Bites and Ethics Bites are interesting. Oh, and Tim Vine Celebrates... Christmas is pretty funny too. There ain't enough good comedy on iTunes podcasts though. Cheers.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 13, 2008, 05:17:08 pm

thanks, i'll check those out...

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 14, 2008, 12:42:27 am
In Our Time on radio 4 is always good but you may already have this one.

jimacp

#4 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 14, 2008, 09:32:22 am
mark kermode & simon mayo's movie reviews are interesting and entertaining.  Also really getting into christopher laird and ola's shows on radionowhere, good for a variety of music outside mainstream radio's very limited playlisting

rc

• player
#5 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 15, 2008, 10:50:45 am
The grauniad has weekly science and tech podcasts discussing all the latest events and issues: 30mins each
There's also some sort of environmental one for the hippies.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 15, 2008, 11:00:55 am
If you want some HARD SCIENCE there are various Podcasts from the Nature Publishing Group.

Not really listened to many as I've not got into the whole Podcast thing, but listened to one of the genetics ones a while back with David Balding (a statistical geneticist at KCL or ICL, can't remember, he's Australian anyway) that was quite good (think it accompanied one of his reivew papers in Nature Reviews Genetics).  It was quite good, accessible and didn't require you to be an expert in the area.

Can't seem to find an archive of shows at the moment, but they may well exist.

Of course they might just send you to sleep, which would be bad if your driving.

rc

• player
#7 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 15, 2008, 11:27:02 am
Indeed the guardian ones are science-lite! Probably not even reaching the intellectual heights of new scientist   ;)
However there is an enjoyable vibe of ben-goldacre-esque self congratulatory "at least I am not as stupid as a tabloid reader".

runt

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 15, 2008, 11:57:35 am
I quite enjoyed the guardian science efforts, dunno if they have an archive on line, but I have a load kicking about if you want them mike?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 16, 2008, 03:02:11 pm

It's ok mate, i've got more than enough to be going on with now :)

Thanks for all the links - enjoyed the latest Collings and Herrin one last night.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#10 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 16, 2008, 06:22:14 pm
That's one damn good blog you've got there mate

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#11 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 24, 2008, 10:37:49 pm
Definitely the Adam and Joe podcast.

curly ben

• addict
#12 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 25, 2008, 12:00:11 am
Dang radio. very nice mixes

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 25, 2008, 02:50:28 am
That's one damn good blog you've got there mate
thanks fella - i'm new to blogging and haven't written much for ages so I hope it will get better - will be reviewing podcasts over there soon.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#14 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 25, 2008, 08:31:17 am
For long trips I've started buying 2nd hand audio books, in CD format, from amazon to listen to and the miles seem to fly by. I guess the iPod equavalent isn't going to be free like a podcast but is an alternative should you fancy a bit of Jackanory.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 25, 2008, 12:36:08 pm

I've got a full selection of audio language courses but can't access them at the moment as they're on a hard drive with no pcb but I used to learn French whilst commuting so might try that again - I fancy some Spanish this time.

Also downloaded some Noam Chomsky audio books which are great. I've always been a little put off fiction audio books because I'd heard quite a lot of them are abridged?

Plattsy

• forum hero
#16 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 25, 2008, 03:23:08 pm
I've always been a little put off fiction audio books because I'd heard quite a lot of them are abridged?

Definately abridged. Probably in a similar way to films. Production quality of audio books also seems to vary. I guess it just helps to have a 6 hour story to listen to, to help time past.

Getting that Michel wots-his-name learn french audio book downloaded to my mp3 tonight. Looking forward to that.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#17 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 25, 2008, 03:34:05 pm

I've got the Pimsleur language courses in just about every language :)

mark

• forum abuser
#18 Re: Podcast recommendations ?
April 25, 2008, 05:14:15 pm
Strong recommendation that anyone who enjoys In Our Time and similar programmes listen to the talks on the Long Now site. I have listened to most of them and found almost all to be fascinating. Details of all the lectures here: http://www.longnow.org/projects/seminars/ and there's a podcast subscription option too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal