UKBouldering.com

Building proposals at Wharncliffe.... (Read 2299 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Building proposals at Wharncliffe....
April 24, 2008, 04:37:27 pm
Came across a proposal to build ~400 houses at the disused railway sidings.

Brought to my attention by a post in the Sheffield Group @ Flickr, there are links to the Application Detail at Sheffield City Council (which actually details a proposal for 35 houses, but apparently the associated plans mention 445).

I quite like Wharncliffe and know that quite a few others on here are afficondos, so thought it worth mentioning.

slack

Paul B

• forum hero
Have you objected to the planning application?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 07:21:34 pm by Paul B »

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
dammit,
i read it as "bouldering proposals at..."

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Have you objected to the planning application?

Not yet, and I'm not sure that I would necessarily object as I've not had the time to sit down and read it in detail to understand exactly what is proposed and how it might affect the area.  I will try and comprehend the needless legal mumbo jumbo that seems prerequisite for such things, and prefer to form opinions based on as much available information as possible.

I felt it pertinent to post details here though as it is in relatively close proximity to an area that many regular posters use for bouldering/climbing/MTBing.

Paul B

• forum hero
one thing that does stand out is:

Conclusion
No areas of ecological importance have been identified on the site that would require further survey or investigation works. Recommendations to mitigate the impact of development or protect areas are therefore not required.

which seems at odds to what is said on the Flickr group:
The proposed site is very near Wharncliffe Crags and Heathland, an important natural resource, recognized and protected by the forestry commission and would be bound to have an adverse impact on a fragile eco-system.
A quick look on Google maps though suggest that the site they intend to build on is "S36 2SQ" which seems a reasonable distance from the edge? does that look right?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

That's Station Road - the main entry for taking downhill bikes into the woods. Not sure where they could put in 400 houses there tbh, but the planning link above isn't working for me atm.

nik at work

• forum hero
You'd be amazed how small an area you need to fit 400 modern "executive townhouses".

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
would be no loss to boulderers building houses round here  :o

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal