UKBouldering.com

Snatch, Grand Hotel area... (Read 4734 times)

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 04, 2008, 09:53:29 am
Just a quick one - I got this yesterday, 'Snatch' 8a.  Paul Bennet problem I think.  Nice little move - same grade as The Joker (although maybe not quite as classy).  Also did Bentley's Gonna Sort You Out (given 7c in the guide - felt like 7a+?).  Lovely day anyhow, it was good to get the hell out of Wales and catch some rays, chilled out and watched some freindly local youth cruise Not To Be...  Very relaxing.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 04, 2008, 10:04:56 am
Just a quick one - I got this yesterday, 'Snatch' 8a.  Paul Bennet problem I think.  Nice little move - same grade as The Joker (although maybe not quite as classy). 

You think right.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#2 Re: Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 04, 2008, 10:22:18 am
Third ascent?

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#3 Re: Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 04, 2008, 10:33:43 am

Wondered how long it would take you to get round to this. One move? Check. Dirty Crimps? Check. Throw to a jug? Check. Paul had to scrub "Property of Chris Davies" off the rock with Mr Muscle before the first ascent....  ;)

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#4 Re: Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 04, 2008, 11:13:23 am
It was a case of back to the old school Stu!  I can now actually use both feet, and have been known to dabble in 'knee bars' and 'heel hooks'.  Strange.  I went with my left by the way, with the right to on a scrub slightly under the roof.  Dirty crimps - delicious, yet none to equal the filty 'Diana' incut (RIP my pretty)...

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#5 Re: Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 04, 2008, 12:55:27 pm
Also did Bentley's Gonna Sort You Out (given 7c in the guide - felt like 7a+?).

Which guide are you looking at? Gets 7b+ in Ru's guide. Doesn't feel like 7a+ to me!  ;)

dave

#6 Re: Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 04, 2008, 01:02:43 pm
bentleys at 7a+ would make captain hook 7a or whatever. yeah i recon :-\

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#7 Re: Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 04, 2008, 01:24:44 pm
Sure you didn't do Captain Hook Chris?

Effort on Snatch - harder than it looks eh?

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 04, 2008, 02:33:32 pm
Nice one CJD.

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#9 Re: Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 04, 2008, 05:51:36 pm
Not sure Mr Brown - I started on the lowest of two sidepull/undercuts with the right, and the lowest of a collection of slopey jugs with the left. Climb via a tasty sloper with the left and pop to the lip with your right utilising a clever little toe drag around the lip of the roof - gain the nose, and then a thrutchy top out (for me!) - looked just like the DMM poster of Gaz.

As for Snatch - very much enjoyed Paul B.  Have you checked out the sitter or the project to the left?  Very tasty...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#10 Re: Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 04, 2008, 05:56:37 pm
Sounds like Captain Hook to me. Bentley's goes straight up from the same start, nasty mantel onto slab essentially, Hook does a couple of moves along the lip to gain the nose and top out up that.

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#11 Re: Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 04, 2008, 06:01:29 pm
That sounds about right - and would go with how it felt - I was trying to imagine crisp conditions at the time!  Hopefully catch you soon - are you still loitering around Brad Pit waiting for passers by  :P to sandbag ("ooh, what's this one then, it looks great...") ;)

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 04, 2008, 06:03:01 pm
Not sure Mr Brown - I started on the lowest of two sidepull/undercuts with the right, and the lowest of a collection of slopey jugs with the left. Climb via a tasty sloper with the left and pop to the lip with your right utilising a clever little toe drag around the lip of the roof - gain the nose, and then a thrutchy top out (for me!) - looked just like the DMM poster of Gaz.

As for Snatch - very much enjoyed Paul B.  Have you checked out the sitter or the project to the left?  Very tasty...

noted the project to the left (as did R-man), I might have given it a go at some point if I wasn't in a perpetualy injured and now very weak state. (in fact my doc has just called with some more "great" news  :thumbsdown: )

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#13 Re: Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 04, 2008, 06:12:58 pm
Hope your news is not to bad - I'm keen for coming back up again soon, so if your about, I will let you know when, it would be good to get a tour of a local/s.  Also, as I walked around the back to check out the top, there is an obvious sitter on the encroaching boulder, left hand undercut, right flatty/crimp, slap up and right into easier groung - 7c+?  Has this been done - looks cool.

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 04, 2008, 06:23:58 pm
I may live locally however Grit isn't my thing, if you want a tour of WCJ cornice then that can be arranged with a greater ease  ;)

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#15 Re: Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 04, 2008, 06:30:02 pm
Sounds good!

Doylo

• forum hero
#16 Re: Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 04, 2008, 06:42:52 pm
don't think WCJ is your scene chris! it involves ropes.

dave

#17 Re: Snatch, Grand Hotel area...
April 05, 2008, 12:07:10 pm
I started on the lowest of two sidepull/undercuts with the right, and the lowest of a collection of slopey jugs with the left. Climb via a tasty sloper with the left and pop to the lip with your right utilising a clever little toe drag around the lip of the roof - gain the nose, and then a thrutchy top out (for me!) - looked just like the DMM poster of Gaz.

nice one chris, sounds like you'll have that in the bag next time, you only need to link that from  the start move or two and you'll have it ticked.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal