UKBouldering.com

Rain in Font. Where to go? (Read 5728 times)

Plattsy

• forum hero
Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 08:17:38 am
Just checked out the forecast for this weekend and depending on which site you use the outlook is pretty grim to grim.

I'd heard there was a good overhang at Le Calvaire which offers climbing when it is raining but according to bleau.info this is now dangerous to climb on due to erosion.

http://bleau.info/calvaire/

Are there any other gems in the forest which offer climbing when it's raining?

Also what other alternatives are there? Is there an indoor wall in Font?

If all else fails there is always  :beer1:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 08:42:10 am
Toss it off, just forget Font in the rain; you just end up snapping holds and going "oh . . . "

There is a tiny wall somewhere.  The one at Maison Bleau is better, maybe you can buy Neil some coffees and beers and use it when it tips?  Maybe not?  He'll be along soon I'm sure.

Stef

• player
#2 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 09:49:02 am
Forget Font when it rains. Or do proper tourism.
Le Calvaire won't keep you up more than 2 days or so, and if it rains while it is busy here in the forest, everyone goes...
The tiny gym in Arbonne is pretty much the same.
Neal's wall is cool. Like Neal ! but do you want to climb on plastic while in THE forest ?????
If it rains, book a nice accomodation and bring a nice girl friend !

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 10:05:55 am
Do you know where any nice accomodation can be booked Stef?

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#4 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 10:07:42 am
If it rains, book a nice accomodation and bring a nice girl friend !

i like it  ;D

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#5 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 10:35:39 am
Get them piston hips cranking

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#6 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 10:54:46 am
Depressing as a washout may be you have to remember you're still in France and have access to shitloads of great food and wine at ludicrously cheap prices. If it happens when I go I'll just spend the week stuffing my face and getting rat arsed.  8) :alky:

Fuck climbing on a wall, we have better ones in Sheffield.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 10:58:46 am
If you were sufficiently motivated and it was a complete washout, there are big dumps of snow forecast for the Alps for the weekend. Valley rain = mountain snow.

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 11:19:17 am
Depressing as a washout may be you have to remember you're still in France and have access to shitloads of great food and wine at ludicrously cheap prices. If it happens when I go I'll just spend the week stuffing my face and getting rat arsed.  8) :alky:

Fuck climbing on a wall, we have better ones in Sheffield.

alternatively do what we did and mission it up to Amsterdam  :great: , Font is shit when it rains.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#9 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 11:28:35 am
your not wrong.
There are a few problems that do stay dry, opium is one and there is 7c roof at one of the conquibus areas. You can always go round finding and looking at obscure problems that you normally wouldn't go to

BenF

• forum hero
#10 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 12:05:39 pm
I know it's not everyone's idea of a holiday, but I always take running stuff for when it rains.  With a map, some gels and a camelbak you can really head off into the bits of forest you never go to normally and see some cool places.  There's few real hills but running on sand is good training too.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#11 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 01:18:52 pm
Well I thought this thread might raise my spirits but it only appears to have compounded what I've feared all week. Four days in a tent in Font with no dry rock to climb. The best forecast I can find for any day over the weekend is light rain on Sunday.

All is not lost though. I'll be taking my running gear so I'll have to go exploring on a diet of strong cheese and cheap wine.

Anyone got a restaurant they can recommmend? I don't fancy cooking on a stove in the rain all weekend.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 02:30:17 pm
Anyone got a restaurant they can recommmend? I don't fancy cooking on a stove in the rain all weekend.

Theres a very nice one in Milly.  Can't remember the name, but stand in the car-park facing the thatched market area and on the right is a bar almost parallel with the front of the thatched roof, and down the side on the right is an excellent restaurant.  Very tasty food (and wine  :pissed:)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#13 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 02:33:31 pm
Don't forget cake, you have to eat lots of cake, they make good stuff out there!  :thumbsup:

If I'm honest, a wet day of cake eating on our last visit wouldn't have been a bad thing in my books   ;D

We only went to one restaurant, I can't remember where it was or what it was called but it's wasn't that great so you're not missing much.

Just eat the cakes.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#14 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 03:02:38 pm
Four days in a tent in Font with no dry rock to climb.

Ah sorry, I hadn't considered the misery of camping in the rain I must admit. Puts a different slant on it but hey, the wine is very cheap and did I mention the cheap wine?

All is not lost though............cheap wine.

That's the spirit  :pissed: (magpie's right about the cakes too).

Plattsy

• forum hero
#15 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 03:33:53 pm
Cake and cheese fest with copious amounts of that red wine you get in plastic demi-johns (too cheap?) should get the campsite rocking.  :great:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#16 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 03:38:52 pm
If you are into gourmet camp cooking, the range of products available at the big Carrefour are amazing and good quality. I can't go to France and come back without at least some peppered saissicon, a range of fine cheeses and some tins of anchois piquant.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#17 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 03:44:55 pm
But remember, you are in France.  There is no need to go too cheap on the wine.  €3 or €4 will buy a fab bottle, €5 crazy tasty.  Gets a bit dull being/going cheap 24/7 . . .   

Plattsy

• forum hero
#18 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 03:58:37 pm
€5 crazy tasty.

Gonna get me some of that  :goodidea:

Everyone going to Font this weekend have a good one. If you find dry rock  and you see a white mk2 golf gti on english plates. STOP ME and tell me where it is.  :bow:

adam p

• regular
#19 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 20, 2008, 07:32:47 pm
€5 crazy tasty.

Gonna get me some of that  :goodidea:

Everyone going to Font this weekend have a good one. If you find dry rock  and you see a white mk2 golf gti on english plates. STOP ME and tell me where it is.  :bow:

Hi Plattsy,....this place is good for dinner....Citronelle, 6 Grande Rue in Milly, tel, 01 64 98 81 41.

A bunch of us were camping at La Musardiere last spring and walked to Milly and ended up at there....it does a good steak and the red wine was pretty good too from what I can remember....at the end of the night it was p*ssing down so the waiter, the chef and his mate got their cars and gave us a lift back to the campsite....it also does takeouts!

I've just scrapped a trip to Portland after watching the BBC forecast snow, snow and bit more snow for the weekend...Hope all of you going to Font find something dry or alcholic to do.....I'm heading over in a fortnight for three days so fingers crossed for then!

Cheers, Adam

i.munro

• junky
#20 Re: Rain in Font. Where to go?
March 21, 2008, 06:30:03 pm
One option is the Franklin Roosevelt bar in Fontainebleau. The menu leans towards the bits of animals that the English tend to throw away though so to be avoided if you're veggie or squeamish.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal