UKBouldering.com

DAB Radio let down (Read 3098 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
DAB Radio let down
March 12, 2008, 11:16:01 am
It was with great excitement that I joined the 21st Century this morning and opened my brand new DAB didgital radio to find that, basically I have no reception of then than the BBC Asian service with sound quality of that approximating a tin can and a long bit of string.

The massive Asian population of Matlock must be so disappointed whereas I'm just massively pissed off by the whole thing.  Now back to the old crystal radio.

PS anyone want to buy a PURE DAB radio?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: DAB Radio let down
March 12, 2008, 11:36:06 am
It was with great excitement that I joined the 21st Century this morning and opened my brand new DAB didgital radio to find that, basically I have no reception of then than the BBC Asian service with sound quality of that approximating a tin can and a long bit of string.

The massive Asian population of Matlock must be so disappointed whereas I'm just massively pissed off by the whole thing.  Now back to the old crystal radio.

PS anyone want to buy a PURE DAB radio?

Bummer.  Could have tried checking here, but will probably be told you can get loads when the reality is different.

Might be interested in the radio, what model is it? (If you have a features list or link to a description that would save me two seconds looking it up too).

Oh and an asking price  ;)

webbo

• forum hero
#2 Re: DAB Radio let down
March 12, 2008, 11:44:49 am
we have a dab radio alarm which gets all the stations no problem.
i'm not that keen however on the bleeping sound like a hgv reversing thats always in the background.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#3 Re: DAB Radio let down
March 12, 2008, 11:52:47 am
There was a news report the other day saying they're fucking the whole DAB thing off as no one's interested. If it ain't broke don't fix it I say. Here we get better reception for both tv and radio using analogue and that's in a major city.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#4 Re: DAB Radio let down
March 13, 2008, 10:04:42 pm
There was a news report the other day saying they're fucking the whole DAB thing off as no one's interested. If it ain't broke don't fix it I say. Here we get better reception for both tv and radio using analogue and that's in a major city.

Link to a few more details re: DAB and the problems it faces. I have DAB and I really like it as I can listen to Radio 6 (that marvellous halfway house between Radio 1 and 2) and you can listen to Radio 5 with out all the crackling static that you get on MW. You can also listen to the latest cricket commentary from the other side of the world but with England playing cricket abroad this tends to be more of a downside.

bluebrad

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: DAB Radio let down
March 13, 2008, 10:08:52 pm
I got the Denon TU1800DAB.  Awesome.  Great reception, great quality.
But I don't live in such a backwater as Matlock  :-\

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#6 Re: DAB Radio let down
March 14, 2008, 06:40:25 am
you lot stop winging and move to the right side of the peak. Excellent reception over ere and spoilt for choice of radio stations

nik at work

• forum hero
#7 Re: DAB Radio let down
March 14, 2008, 08:16:03 am
Not where I live there isn't, no digital TV or radio. The analogue signals aren't that great either....

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#8 Re: DAB Radio let down
March 14, 2008, 09:14:08 am
I'm spoilt for choice with analogue radio stations as it is, all with perfect reception. Why I would want to shell out for a digital radio?

Static, whether on radio or tv, is far preferable to the digital freeze/ dropout. Fockin Boylshut.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#9 Re: DAB Radio let down
March 14, 2008, 01:43:09 pm
I'd hardly call radio 4 spoilt for choice. as good as it is there is not much else on analogue worth bothering with. You can't even get the arrow

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#10 Re: DAB Radio let down
March 14, 2008, 03:38:15 pm
I couldn't get it in Llanberis, but just down the road (near the Fricsan) at my new pad I can get the lot, but only if I position the aerial at half mast - fully extended and it don't work.

Tom, have you tried experimenting with different positions in the house etc?

I too have been loving the chance to listen to 6 music off line, well apart from George Lamb of course, who hopefully will soon disappear off to daytime Radio 1 where he belongs.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#11 Re: DAB Radio let down
March 14, 2008, 03:47:37 pm
Tom, have you tried experimenting with different positions in the house?

That's a bit personal isn't it? 

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#12 Re: DAB Radio let down
March 14, 2008, 07:16:09 pm
I too have been loving the chance to listen to 6 music off line, well apart from George Lamb of course, who hopefully will soon disappear off to daytime Radio 1 where he belongs.
Heard about him on radio 4 today. Encouraging teenagers to steal bra's and sell them on at 100% profit. tsk tsk.
sounds like a right knob

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: DAB Radio let down
March 14, 2008, 07:58:28 pm
Heard about him on radio 4 today. Encouraging teenagers to steal bra's and sell them on at 100% profit. tsk tsk.
sounds like a right knob

:-\

Profit on zero outlay surely equals ∞% (infinite) or 0% profit depending on how you look at it?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal