UKBouldering.com

Post your training set-ups here (Read 18397 times)

Stubbs

#25 Re: Post your training set-ups here
March 16, 2008, 05:04:55 pm

Are there some bear-claw style grips on the back of the fingerboard?  They look nasty!

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#26 Re: Post your training set-ups here
March 16, 2008, 06:03:55 pm

[/quote]

Are there some bear-claw style grips on the back of the fingerboard?  They look nasty!
[/quote]

Fairly comfortable to hang, they were an idle experiment in a totally open-handed edge.

lizzy

• player
#27 Re: Post your training set-ups here
March 17, 2008, 07:35:50 pm

The set up in mine and Sam's flat.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#28 Re: Post your training set-ups here
March 18, 2008, 10:24:26 am
That door gym looks just the ticket as I've been w/ out a bar for months now.  The jams are too fragile.  Is it damage-free?

How about a Powerbar........

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,3263.msg120207.html#msg120207

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#29 Re: Post your training set-ups here
March 18, 2008, 01:23:05 pm
I'm not willing to try any bar.  The arcitraves are uPVC (rented apartments, no choice in the matter) they look fine but they are rather fragile.  They flex when I do pull-ups off them and can't have hands in the centre - only above the vertical arcitrave. 

It's a total shit as I have nowhere to do pulls, and am doomed to skip, swim, stretch, press & run my way to fitness.  Which does nothing for power; hence powerballs.  The local walls here are fucking  g a s h, I've looked round them all - kids stuff (and overly expensive) might join a queer gym and start pumping iron/butt again.  (On the plus side, I'm rarely if ever injured).

Paul B

• forum hero
#30 Re: Post your training set-ups here
March 18, 2008, 02:07:13 pm
I'm not willing to try any bar.  The arcitraves are uPVC (rented apartments, no choice in the matter) they look fine but they are rather fragile.  They flex when I do pull-ups off them and can't have hands in the centre - only above the vertical arcitrave. 

It's a total shit as I have nowhere to do pulls, and am doomed to skip, swim, stretch, press & run my way to fitness.  Which does nothing for power; hence powerballs.  The local walls here are fucking  g a s h, I've looked round them all - kids stuff (and overly expensive) might join a queer gym and start pumping iron/butt again.  (On the plus side, I'm rarely if ever injured).

nothing in your local park? or just a handy tree branch?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#31 Re: Post your training set-ups here
March 19, 2008, 09:28:43 am
There are some pipes and a door frame that I use in the cellar/storage area from time to time.  There's a good pipe  narrow enough to pull up on.  It's cladded, not ideal.  It's also a pipe!  And I think it could be integral to the heating system! 

I'm laughing now because I have used it before in desperation.  Sometimes I go to a mates house and use his pull up bar and weights, again not ideal.

I was thinking of making some kind of A-frame (floor standing) where I could do leg raises and bent leg pull-ups. Wouldn't need to be too tall.

I've just done some fingertip pulls above a door, which is fine, but I want to pull up off a closed hand not my tips.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 09:34:15 am by Houdini »

chicane

• player
#32 Re: Post your training set-ups here
March 19, 2008, 09:37:20 am

I think the A frame is a good idea - I don't know why no one produces a light weight aluminium frame that packs away like a tent and can have a fingerboard attached ideal to chuck in the boot for hotel training for those who work away a lot. I've thought before about making a wooden A frame to replace the door gym to enable some more dynamic moves.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#33 Re: Post your training set-ups here
March 19, 2008, 09:48:07 am
surely you could cobble something together with a few bits of scaffolding? Mist be some standing around somewhere, unused? Well unused at midnight at least.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#34 Re: Post your training set-ups here
March 19, 2008, 09:51:09 am
Never knew you were from Liverpool, Chris  ;)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#35 Re: Post your training set-ups here
March 19, 2008, 09:57:46 am
What I need to do is stop building walls for other people and build one for myself in the rock-starved Nord Reich and steal all those paying customers willing to fork out €10 a pop for shite facilities.  That's what I should do.

Or the Works should start Reich-side & I'll manage . . .

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#36 Re: Post your training set-ups here
March 19, 2008, 09:59:00 am
Never knew you were from Liverpool, Chris  ;)

I don't think Scousers were the first to think of midnight spares shops, they just perfected the art.

andy_e

• forum hero
#37 Re: Post your training set-ups here
March 19, 2008, 09:37:36 pm

The set up in mine and Sam's flat.

How the hell does Sam reach the pull-up bar? Bless him.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#38 Re: Post your training set-ups here
March 19, 2008, 09:51:15 pm

Go and pump some iron! 

I miss my weights. And my board is about to be demolished by a lot of big JCBs.

On the plus side, if I get planning permission to build a new house I have already mentally sketched a basement gym / board space that will provide an straightforward path to my Men's Health ambitions...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#39 Re: Post your training set-ups here
March 19, 2008, 09:56:52 pm
I've an honours degree in Molecular Biology/parasitology.  Problem is I prefer repetetive factory work.  I feel the same about pumping iron.  It allows me to switch off & contemplate humankind's untergang.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#40 Re: Post your training set-ups here
March 19, 2008, 10:08:16 pm
I've an honours degree in Molecular Biology/parasitology.  Problem is I prefer repetetive factory work.  I feel the same about pumping iron.  It allows me to switch off & contemplate humankind's untergang.

well, get to it then.

a nice tight pair of shorts and a little vest and a copy of pumping iron and you'll be away!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#41 Re: Post your training set-ups here
March 19, 2008, 10:17:44 pm
Damn that pic is Aryan.

W/ the running/swimming regime my thighs look . . .   Ah . . .  muscular.   Not quite like Arnold, mind.   His triceps alarm me.  Always have.   Just not quite right . . .

k2ted

• player
#42 Re: Post your training set-ups here
April 20, 2008, 06:33:21 pm
finally got the piccies here...
In rented accommodation so needs to be mobile as had landlord check last week. new(ish) property with plaster board walls n no damage so far to doorframe etc... theres a 10mm overlap from the steel 90 degree thingy (sure it has proper name!)Ive screwed to the wood.
 :goodidea:  dunno! tho walls havent fell down yet with me at 14 stone & 20kg added

erm, sam

• forum hero
#43 Re: Post your training set-ups here
June 29, 2008, 10:30:00 pm
Well, been in the new house for a month or so and have got my new mini board up and running. Will add some  more holds when I work out if there is any point. Even managed to spend 20 mins on it tonight! Rare Playmobil astroman included on middle jug for scale......

And a detail view for any Playmobilers out there:

inn wislon

• regular
    • I'll get you, Butler!
#44 Re: Post your training set-ups here
July 01, 2008, 10:07:20 pm

I think the A frame is a good idea - I don't know why no one produces a light weight aluminium frame that packs away like a tent and can have a fingerboard attached ideal to chuck in the boot for hotel training for those who work away a lot. I've thought before about making a wooden A frame to replace the door gym to enable some more dynamic moves.

In the garden/wasteland for summer, but short enough and small enough footprint to fit in an inside toliet for winter.  Pull up bar on the back, that also fits a finger board.  And it all sockets together in 2 mins and goes in a (large) bag which easily fits in the boot of a Corsa.  The board is also T-nutted to swap the rungs for system holds, and there is a pair of dip handles that fit half way up the back legs.......

north_country_boy

• junky
#45 Re: Post your training set-ups here
July 02, 2008, 12:15:54 pm
Well, been in the new house for a month or so and have got my new mini board up and running. Will add some  more holds when I work out if there is any point. Even managed to spend 20 mins on it tonight! Rare Playmobil astroman included on middle jug for scale......

Oh the best holds ever made, the Ian Fitzatrick Brown puppy pinches........ ;D

chicane

• player
#46 Re: Post your training set-ups here
July 02, 2008, 08:03:53 pm
Inn,

Where did you get the frame - thats the kind of thing I was after.

Cheers

Matt

inn wislon

• regular
    • I'll get you, Butler!
#47 Re: Post your training set-ups here
July 03, 2008, 01:28:34 am
It's purpose built for the job, we're working on producing the first batch at the moment......

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary

Kingy

• forum hero
#49 Re: Post your training set-ups here
September 20, 2008, 04:47:08 pm

Here is my fingerboard, I made it ages ago but have just put it up again. I can barely hang the poorest wooden edges even with loads of chalk. You can do pullups on the top of the board where I bevelled the edge. The 1 finger pockets have yet to be used in anger!

(Here are the weblinks in case the images have not embedded properly).

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=140486099/PictureID=5778172052/a=72146871_72146871/t_=72146871
http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=238717960/PictureID=5778168504/a=72146871_72146871/t_=72146871

PS - I will knock one of these up for anybody - the KingyboardTM (for a small fee of course :))
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 04:52:09 pm by Kingy, Reason: Wrong web address »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal