UKBouldering.com

Hunter's Stones - Upto 20 New Probs 3 to 8a+ (Read 5255 times)

Greg C

• forum hero
I thought this was worthy of a plug. Tom Peckitt has developed what was thought to be an esoteric little venue in Stainburn Forest near Almscliff. There is 20 odd new problems from easy to 8a+ and I can vouch for the quality. More details here - http://www.yorkshiregrit.com/hunters.html

I believe this months Stone Circles article in Climber will focus on this area so you'll be able to get a topo and more action shots in the mag, I presume.

Excellent effort Tom!

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Spotted this on Yorkshiregrit. Looks excellent. X-wall sounds interesting - overhanging 7b's,7c's,7c+'s and two 8's!

http://yorkshiregrit.com/hunters.html

And this problem looks fantastic:

Hunter's Roof 7c+

Greg C

• forum hero
The problems on the X Block are awesome if you like very thin terrain (which I do), although it's pretty brutal on your skin.
I climbed a line not currently on the Yorkshiregrit.com list - the wall right of "By Hook or By Crook" is "Hunter's Wall" 7c/+.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Just had a look at the article in WH Smith about 5 mins ago. Looks ace, quite a find.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Aye, saw the article in Climber. It sure looks good however I've had reports to the contrary...

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Question: How do you get there? Yorkshiregrit isn't forthcoming, but seeing as it's supposed to be close to Almscliff it sounds worth a gander.

Also, what are the conditions like? Does it dry fast? Does x-wall stay dry in the rain?

jern

• menacing presence
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=421675&y=451760&z=3&sv=421675,451760&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

Went there about 10 years ago to have a look at little Almscliff and went for walk and found the X block - always meant to go back but never bothered. Didn't see anything else - just remenber thick forest. everywhere.

Greg C

• forum hero
Question: How do you get there? Yorkshiregrit isn't forthcoming, but seeing as it's supposed to be close to Almscliff it sounds worth a gander.

You could just buy the mag, I reckon 3 or 4 quid is worthwhile for a decent topo.

Greg C

• forum hero
Also, what are the conditions like? Does it dry fast? Does x-wall stay dry in the rain?

I went a couple of weeks ago after some pretty wet weather and everything was dry including the X Block. I suspect if there hadn't been so much air movement (wind) then the block in the woods may have started to get water condensing on it. Despite being half sunken in the ground the situation of the X block means it doesn't seem to suffer from seepage or run-off.

monkey boy

• forum hero
I had heard mixed reviews about the place but went with Tom on Sunday and although i didnt climb he gave me another a friend the tour. Watched him cruise through Hunter Roof, which is definately very high quality grit roof action. A full array of heels, crimps, slopers.

This problem will definately dry fast.

The X-block is in the woods and was a little damp on sunday but climbable none the less. If you dont like crimping then am afraid this block isnt for you! However if you do then there are some excellent problems, many involving big moves and small holds.

Its a new place to visit and definately worth a trip in my opinion. Hunters roof will be a future classis if you climb arounf V9/10.

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
Really cool place and inspiring stuff.  Would be well keen to go back, I now have skin (sorry Tom, that really is a poor excuse for getting my arse kicked!).  Some great easier stuff to (6c+ prow by the satleite thing).  Well done, youth.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
didn't go to x-block, was told its ok if you like crimps. The trig point block looks impressive but is let down by the very rough pebbly grit.
Luckily caley is nearby

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom

Doylo

• forum hero

Is Mawsons cracking one off in the background there. Dirty bastard!

andy_e

• forum hero
The X-Block truly is a stunning piece of rock, unfortunately it was wet when we went. The 5+ on the trig point boulder is one of the finest 5+s anywhere - a real beauty! The 6c arete around the back is also amazing. And so is hunter's roof (well, the two moves of it that I've done that is!)

uptown on the easier of the two hunter's roof problems

El Mocho

• forum abuser
didn't go to x-block, was told its ok if you like crimps. The trig point block looks impressive but is let down by the very rough pebbly grit.
Luckily caley is nearby

Jim you missed out. Had a session at the trig point and was not that impressed with most of the stuff, although in my mind Hunters roof is compareable in quality (and style a little bit) to Lowrider. I was about to leave when Tom arrived (does he ever go anywhere else?) and took us to X block. Now I really don't like crimping but it was ace. Very good rock and 5+ nice problems. I climbed 4 of the things on the main face and didn't crimp once.

It is not as good as Caley or Almscliffe (is anywhere?) but it is new. A very good find by Tom.

dave

anyone got any photos of this myterious x-block? i can't be arsed walking to WHSmiths to read the mag.

andy_e

• forum hero
Now I really don't like crimping but it was ace. Very good rock and 5+ nice problems. I climbed 4 of the things on the main face and didn't crimp once.

I heard you got your first split tip ever whilst crimping on that block!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal