UKBouldering.com

Post-hoc editing of posts (Read 647 times)

Tony

• addict
  • “Comedic genius”
Post-hoc editing of posts
February 04, 2024, 11:53:12 am
I believe that post edits on here have generally been used reasonably to either:
Wholly remove a post the poster has thought better off (everyone makes mistakes)
- or -
Add clarifications / spelling corrections / etc..

However, in another thread I noticed an unusual edit to completely change the interpretation of the post after it had already been responded to.

I find this pretty dubious behaviour, what does the wider community think?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1 Re: Post-hoc editing of posts
February 04, 2024, 12:04:01 pm
Really?. I removed the ‘rental yield’ bit because it distracted from the main point of my post (and thread) which was to highlight that the repair of the cragx footbridge cost the same as a small terrace house in an unfashionable part of Sheffield.

Your quote of the original in your post remained intact so it did not affect the context/trigger of your message where you had a go at BTL landlord wankers/boomers/scum like me so the original is still there for all to see.

Tony

• addict
  • “Comedic genius”
#2 Re: Post-hoc editing of posts
February 04, 2024, 04:21:33 pm
Your original post indicated that you were making comparison of a new bridge and a (buy to let) terrace house purely from the perspective of an investment and your personal benefit from your investment.

That is quite different to objective comparison of the value of a terrace house as a “home”.

Frankly, I think you realised your original post was socially distasteful and you wished to portray yourself in a better light. Otherwise, why edit it at all?

Your quote of the original in your post remained intact so it did not affect the context/trigger of your message where you had a go at BTL landlord wankers/boomers/scum like me so the original is still there for all to see.

I think this is rather ambiguous. Your edit makes it unclear whether my quote (the only record of the original post) included my parenthesis or yours.

I would also add that I did not suggest that you are any of those things. BTL is a symptom of the longterm economics of housing/interest rates/lack of taxation on wealth/etc.

I simply indicated that I thought such flippant comparison was distasteful. Which I think your edit indicates you probably agree.

Tony

• addict
  • “Comedic genius”
#3 Re: Post-hoc editing of posts
February 04, 2024, 07:00:08 pm
Since you outed yourself anyway, here is the specific post.

Do they really convey the same meaning?

Just trying to decide where to allocate £180k. Terrace house in unfashionable part of Sheffield (With a decent rental yield) or small footbridge with a troll underneath ?

and

Just trying to decide where to allocate £180k. Terrace house in an unfashionable part of Sheffield or small footbridge with a troll underneath ?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal