UKBouldering.com

Labrum Tear (Read 2989 times)

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
Labrum Tear
February 29, 2008, 02:19:11 am
So, I've had a nagging injury for about 6 months in my shoulder. Quite a subtle one but it hurts plenty in a certain positions, particulary anything involving the palm face up (undercuts etc). So after nothing really showing up on an Ultrasound or X-ray, I shelled out my pocket money on an MRI which identified a labrum tear . Yes its does sound vaguely female, so no chuckling. It seems to be known as a SLAP injury - meaning the direction its torn in Anterior - Posterior.

Any of the folk/docs on here got any experience of such an injury and the time it takes to heal/appropriate exercises. Its not a major tear apparently and is common when a shoulder tries to dislocate itself but doesn't succeed (not how I did mine, mind).

Cheers.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1 Re: Labrum Tear
February 29, 2008, 08:24:56 am
get yousrelf to a good upper limb physio, pay for it if needs be (probs will be)

you gotta get the shoulder more stable and balanced.

SLAP repair is very common surgically, the rehab is looong to get back into climbing... obviously best avoided unless absolutely necessary.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#2 Re: Labrum Tear
February 29, 2008, 10:37:03 am
Sorry to here that mate

My shoulder injury was a bankart lesion. Similar to the SLAP tear that you have.  My labrum was ripped pretty badly so needed surgery. Not that you want to hear this but you will probably need to get it operated on.  Now that there is a tear in the labrum it may become worse with climbing.

Check out http://www.shoulderunit.co.uk/ This is where I had my shoulder done.  There is plenty of info on here for you to look at.

Nigel/Sabine had a similar problem and operation and we are all back to full strength (I think).  It took about 3 months from the operation before I was climbing again.  I spent a long time on physio but to no avail. 

Send me an e-mail if you want any more details

D

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: Labrum Tear
February 29, 2008, 10:42:24 am
Was it a plain MRI or an MR Arthrogram?

galpinos

• forum hero
#4 Re: Labrum Tear
February 29, 2008, 10:45:07 am
That's pretty rubbish Carnage. I don't know enough about shoudlers but had a Laterjet bone transport procedure due to a Bankhart Lesion and damage to the glenoid.

Surgery is rubbish, but it will sort you out in time. Hope it doesn't lead to this. All the best!

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#5 Re: Labrum Tear
February 29, 2008, 11:45:44 am
GCW - Plain 'ol MRI.

Thanks chaps.

By the advice that I've received so far, its not too bad. The rotator cuff/glenoid/cartiledge is all intact and in good shape. I believe its a pretty minor tear so hopefully surgery won't be necessary but I'll do it if i have to- Its Athroscopy these days I think. I have physio starting next week with someone who seems to know her stuff (recommended and a former Aus Olympic Team physio) so I'll keep my fingers crossed and do as I'm told. :( :'(

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#6 Re: Labrum Tear
February 29, 2008, 01:29:07 pm
Labral injuries don't always show very well on plain MR, which is why MR Arthogram is the investigation of choice.  Plain MR can miss a tear or underestimate it, but it sounds like yours has been seen OK.
The advice you have sounds reasonable.
(Not everyone does arthroscopic SLAP repairs.)

Fatleg

• addict
#7 Re: Labrum Tear
February 29, 2008, 02:06:38 pm
You will have to pay for physio - the wait on NHS is huge. So if you want to get your shoulder going I really recommend paying out for it.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#8 Re: Labrum Tear
February 29, 2008, 02:08:55 pm
Is there an NHS in Oz?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: Labrum Tear
February 29, 2008, 02:35:32 pm
Is there an NHS in Oz?

Yeas, its called Medicare, but most people seem to have private health insurance anyway.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#10 Re: Labrum Tear
February 29, 2008, 02:55:29 pm
Cheers, learnt something new.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#11 Re: Labrum Tear
February 29, 2008, 08:05:12 pm
Its a good service but just like the NHS people like to bitch about. I got my sessions of  physio immediately with the physio of my choice paid under Medicare but I also have private cover thankfully.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal