UKBouldering.com

Ferries for font (Read 3746 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Ferries for font
February 04, 2008, 05:36:51 pm
Just booked mine with Norfolk line leaving early thursday coming back Sunday, anway it would seem that NL are the cheapest by far even if they do try and charge £4 for using a credit card.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Ferries for font
February 04, 2008, 05:40:26 pm
Every time I've been, Norfolk Line were cheapest.  And not bad either to be fair.  Never sank once.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#2 Re: Ferries for font
February 04, 2008, 06:17:06 pm
Well, not to piss on anyones bonfire, but there is a p&o promotion running where you get a day return for £20. So, book two of those and you have a return for £40. You might be thinking that that isn't such a good offer, but here's the rest. On each journey you get 6 free bottles of wine (approx £20 value), and a free meal (£8 value). It sounds rather unbelievable but I just came over yesterday on this very trip. It was all a bit sketch since I sneaked onto an earlier ferry after being told the ferry left the port (LIES!), and then I had to pretend I was actually coming back (which meant I wouldn't have been getting off the ferry!).

Duma

• forum hero
#3 Re: Ferries for font
February 05, 2008, 12:15:13 am
I like speedferries - not quite as cheap as NL, but still bargain basement, and Boulogne is a fuck load easier and quicker to get out of than Dunkerque (ie <5mins to Autoroute). A16 route is cheaper on the peage as well.

Sloper

• forum hero
#4 Re: Ferries for font
February 05, 2008, 09:22:46 am
Well, not to piss on anyones bonfire, but there is a p&o promotion running where you get a day return for £20. So, book two of those and you have a return for £40. You might be thinking that that isn't such a good offer, but here's the rest. On each journey you get 6 free bottles of wine (approx £20 value), and a free meal (£8 value). It sounds rather unbelievable but I just came over yesterday on this very trip. It was all a bit sketch since I sneaked onto an earlier ferry after being told the ferry left the port (LIES!), and then I had to pretend I was actually coming back (which meant I wouldn't have been getting off the ferry!).

I thought that they were wise to that game and on the return pinged you for both return trips at full fare?  Or is this just a scare story?

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#5 Re: Ferries for font
February 05, 2008, 09:41:19 am
no its true, and unc will soon get his bill

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#6 Re: Ferries for font
February 05, 2008, 10:49:13 am
ha ha. Scare tactics. As far as they are concerned I never even disembarked the ferry in Calais. I booked the return leg to be on the same boat that I sailed out on. There is actually no way they could say I wasn't on board, because there is no way they could check if I did just stay on board (which you can do!).

dave

#7 Re: Ferries for font
February 05, 2008, 12:11:20 pm
what so you're going to claim that you stayed on the ferry for days/however long your trip is? whatever. how the fuck is that going to work.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#8 Re: Ferries for font
February 05, 2008, 12:14:34 pm
what so you're going to claim that you stayed on the ferry for days/however long your trip is? whatever. how the fuck is that going to work.

I was just thinking that.  :-\

BenF

• forum hero
#9 Re: Ferries for font
February 05, 2008, 12:30:35 pm

Sounds like a great idea, kinda like a Channel cruise trip.  Spend a few days criss-crossing the Channel, eating well in the sumptous restaurants, playing the arcades and enjoying fine on-ship entertainment.  Some people would pay money for that pleasure.

Others are likely to kill if faced with that.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#10 Re: Ferries for font
February 05, 2008, 12:47:13 pm

I realise that looking up 3 posts to read my original reply is a hard thing to do, but I believe in you! I booked a day return ticket, and only used the outward leg! When I need to come back from font to England I will do the same, but start from Calais.

dave

#11 Re: Ferries for font
February 05, 2008, 01:03:00 pm
Your original post wasn't clear in the slightest!

Good luck anyway - i heard a story once that they only sell day returns from france to blighty to cars registered in continental europe to stop that very loophole, though I may be wrong. Also you need to bank on there being no car reg plate scanning when you arrive in dover (or any board CCTV on deck) so they know exactly who is and isn't onboard on any particular journey. To be honest I doubt they would be allowed to opperate unless they can say who's on board simply from a point of having a headcount on numbers in the event of an accident. I would also expect them to know you didn't go back to the UK on the same day, and if pressed you would have no way to prove it because it didn't happen.

I know I'd be buying a proper return so save the potential agro.

Sloper

• forum hero
#12 Re: Ferries for font
February 05, 2008, 01:48:28 pm
This scheme may work if you're a foot passanger but that's only because you don't have a numberplate on your forehead.

Keith you remember when you went through the barrier, before you drove onto the ferry, the person checking your vehicle details against your booking?

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#13 Re: Ferries for font
February 05, 2008, 02:26:46 pm
Err, well, that person who was supposed to check my ticket before I went on... well, he didn't. He just waved me on. Had he decided to stop me and to check he would have realised that I wasn't actually booked on that ferry and that I was travelling somewhat illegaly. Let me explain. Neil was at the port, waiting to get on the 6:40 ferry and I was booked on the 7:35. I absolutely wankered it there to try and get there in time for the 6:40 ferry. I got to the check in desk at 6:30 and begged to be let on to the 6:40, at which point he laughed and said "that's in 10 mins, they're already loaded, no chance". So, he gave me a ticket for the 7:35 and I drove off, rather pissed. Whilst driving into the port I called Neil who told me they hadn't even started loading. So I headed straight for his lane. At this point, I didn't have a thing hanging from my rear view mirror or a ticket to board the ferry. I got in the cue, and 2 mins later I was ushered on without anybody seeing any of my credentials. I could have been booked to go to Spain for all they know.

Also, you can book a day return ticket where you drive on the boat, go to calais, don't get off the boat, then sail back to Dover. I have no idea why anybody would do such a thing but you can. This is how I planned my assault, but in the end it worked out a bit better.

philo

• forum hero
#14 Re: Ferries for font
February 22, 2008, 09:43:57 pm
the NL is fine.
i hate the waiting tho, like when you at the land and it seems to take for ever for them to lower the doors.
has anyone read any of the leaflets and booklets about Dunkerque, there was one about the top 7 things to do there..... not even enough for a top10 hahahaha. 

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#15 Re: Ferries for font
February 23, 2008, 08:34:40 pm
I like speedferries - not quite as cheap as NL, but still bargain basement, and Boulogne is a fuck load easier and quicker to get out of than Dunkerque (ie <5mins to Autoroute). A16 route is cheaper on the peage as well.

I found all of the above to be true.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal