UKBouldering.com

New Bouldering Book (Read 12493 times)

fashionguru

• player
#25 Re: New Bouldering Book
October 27, 2007, 06:37:56 pm
Hi all,

Just thought I'd put my 2p in for what its worth as a yorkshire man.

Having used the Scots guide on several trips now, I do think it could be very easy to see why some people dont like it.

On first look at it in the shop, I thought pants, its gona be crap. But in fact I think it is very good clear and to the point where it needs to be.

The crags some people (soz Percy) are having a go about being crap, well all I can say is they must not have been to such places as Applecross and Torridon, Cummingston, Thirlstane and Dumby just to name a few. Whats wrong with you all these places are fantastic with great problems in brilliant locations.

I think we should give the boys at Stone country there dues, they did what no one else wanted to and brought us a guide to some fantastic places.

It was the first attempt at producing a guide that was slightly different to the norm taking the history and the culture of Scotland to its heart.

For me, lads well done.

I have enjoyed some great times bouldering with your little guide.

I await the next bigger and better addition.

Tony Simpson

tc

• junky
#26 Re: New Bouldering Book
October 28, 2007, 11:35:44 am
Ah ha!

Thought that would smoke you out.  For what it's worth I thought your piece the least irritating (take that in a good way, bitte) of them all - in a world of generally poor climbing writing. 

Yes, I am a shining beacon of literary hope in a widespread ocean of mundanity. I am also very, very humble  ;)
Check out "Stone Play". I think it's better.

Christobal

• regular
#27 Re: New Bouldering Book
November 27, 2007, 11:09:26 am
So, whats the verdict?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#28 Re: New Bouldering Book
November 27, 2007, 12:56:48 pm
Not bought it yet, but had a look at it in Tiso yesterday. Photos are generally very good, but quite small (book is the same size as Stone Country) Most of the writing is pretty good, but some strays slightly beyond the profound and into the bull field. Quite a big price tag for a small book, but be nice to get as a stocking filler.

Review here http://www.scottishclimbs.com/wiki/Stone_Play_Review

Christobal

• regular
#29 Re: New Bouldering Book
March 02, 2008, 10:14:29 pm
So i got the book at last and found it quite enjoyable. Very good photos and writing although i have read not a few of them earlier in various books and mags.
All in all it gets a strong 3 grading.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal