UKBouldering.com

Madrid - London - Sheffield information needed (Read 2219 times)

miki

• regular
Madrid - London - Sheffield information needed
February 10, 2008, 12:14:00 pm
Hello,

I'm planning going to Sheffield from 19 Feb to 28 Feb. we ( two guys ) are going to visit a friend that is recently living there and need some info.
we already got a flight from Madrid to London ( really cheap btw ).
Now we need to know how to get to Sheffield, train? bus? where to change our euros? and also all sort of useful info that we will need and i'm not able to remember at the moment  :)
after the basic stuff covered maybe we could climb together.

see you and thanks,
Joćo

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
The cheapest way North to Sheffield from London is probably w/ National-Express (bus). 

www.nationalexpress.co.uk N/E use a pre-booked ticket system yet generally one can get a place on the day (don't take my word for that though).  They operate from Victoria Bus Station, London.

Train:  you can always get a train to Sheffield from London.  These trains probably leave from Euston station, London.  If you book in advance and probably w/ a credit card you may be able to get heavily reduced prices.  Maybe.  You've left booking reletively late.  UK trains are generally very costly even compared w/ Germany & Switzerland.

www.nationrailenquiries.co.uk

(Just one opinion miki - but I'd avoid Sheffield Limestone and stick to the real rock:  gritstone  ;))

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Joćo,

If you can travel light, do so. Public transport in the UK (as it is in many countries) is hard to get around on if you have a lot of luggage. Are you bringing a bouldering mat with you? If so, you'll be best to get the train from London to Sheffield. For booking tickets for the train, thetrainline.com allows you to do this online and receive your tickets in advance if you wish.

If you don't have a bouldering mat, you can often find cheap one way bus tickets which allow a relatively small amount of passenger luggage (large rucksack and a small one as hand luggage).

The biggest coach transport provider is the National Express. If you check this link out, you'll be able to see the booking form for getting cheap single tickets. If you know in advance when you're going to be returning to London, you could maybe book another single? Either way, the National Express site will allow you to look at coach fares, times and routes.

You won't be stuck for people to climb with in Sheffield. That's a guarantee.

(Exactly what Houdini said :) )

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
If you want to save some money, you could try Megabus. Haven't used them myself but friends who have have rated them. They seem to be doing trains as well now, not sure how they work as I don't think they have their own trains, maybe just cheap tickets on normal trains. Bus drops off at Meadowhall (National Express drops off in the town centre) but it is quite easy to get a bus or train into town, only about 10 minutes.

http://www.megabus.com/uk/timetables/london_sheffield_train.php
http://www.megabus.com/uk/timetables/london_sheffield_bus.php

abarro81

• forum hero
For the national express buses, you can get them from gatwick/heathrow too so you don't need to get into London.. I've had a pad and large rucksac on one of their coaches before, though it was a while ago and I can't remember whether I had to pay extra to be allowed both.

miki

• regular
thanks for the info guys :)

we are going tomorrow, i will post some resume of the trip when i“m back in Madrid :P

J

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal