UKBouldering.com

Flights to Cape Town (Read 2327 times)

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
Flights to Cape Town
February 24, 2008, 10:05:46 pm
Am going to Rocklands in September - a few things...  Is this is a good time to go?  Good knowledge on cheap flights and accomodation.  Is there any info on line i.e. topo's, directions etc.  Has anyone been?  Much obliged for any info given.  Percy?  Is there spiders.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Flights to Cape Town
February 24, 2008, 10:21:01 pm
Sept probably OK. might be a bit warm if you are sub-zero lover. For Rocklands - camping is cheapest and easiest, but there are cottages etc. Flights, see what you can find on sky scanner or whatever, sadly no easy routes.

info www.bouldering.co.za plus some of the sites in the links on there.

Spiders yes, also snakes with big snappy teeth. Don't fret though, in my 8 yeaqrs of climbing in SA I came across snakes only twice, both on walk ins.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#2 Re: Flights to Cape Town
February 24, 2008, 10:24:27 pm
i went in august and it was primo, had one week where it rained for 3 days, which was unfortunate.
it is fucking ace. take a big pad. i got flights via dial a flight.com i rang them and got a flight for less than 400quid, did go via qatar mind!
in cape town i stayed at a hostel called the green elephant, it was good and its 2 mins from the climbing wall. but i would recommend going straight to rock lands asap. do NOT go to topside it is log.
hire a car from someone reputable i will not bore you with my epic blow out/car seiziing up fuck up. but it is not fun in the middle of nowhere with no phone. hire a car from the garage in cape town, round near the hostel near groote schuur hospital, sorry for not being specific, but i cant remember the name.
accomodation in rocklands. i stayed at the campsite and at the alphafarm. basically i don't know the phone number, but to find the alphafarm, continue for about twenty mins along the road past the campsite, and its on the right at the botom of the hill, and you go over a ford. possibly could google it? they were keen to rent the cottage out to climbers it was cheap and had ashower. its also situated on a vineyard (though the wine was not the best it may have improved.)
google sa climbs and bouldering.co.za and whatever the climbing wall in cape town is called and you can get downloadable topos.
the alphafarm has topos for the klemside. it is defo worth going up there, especially in your grade range/style.
spiders no problems, snakes a bit worrying but i only saw 2 in a month. ticks are the little fuckers, get some long trousers for the walk in. try and contact "the dom" he's very keen and dead sound, helped me get about loads.
enjoy

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#3 Re: Flights to Cape Town
February 25, 2008, 12:50:38 pm
Cheers for the info - keep it coming!  I guess from cape Town, Rocklands in pretty close/easy to get to?  Do you defo need a hire car?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Flights to Cape Town
February 25, 2008, 02:06:36 pm
I think it's about 3-4 hours? Not sure of exact time, as we went via Paarl Rock(it rained!) Bazbus doesn't go that way, but you might possibly be able to find public transport; a bus of some sort to Citrusdal or maybe even Clanwilliam. I wouldn't recommend hitching. Might be able to sort out a lift if you have a few days in Cape Town to spare. Often local climbers heading that way from Cape Town on a weekend.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#5 Re: Flights to Cape Town
February 25, 2008, 02:09:34 pm
Hire car is essential unless you can get to the Alpha farm/Loskett area.  I think you would be limited if this was your only option though.

Rocklands is about 3 hours from Capetown and pretty easy to find.  You pass some amazing bits of rock on the way.  We stayed in b+b's for the 10 days when we were there.  It's still pretty cheap in SA especially eating out.  A steak dinner for 2 with wine and starters was around £10 :)

Stay in the Clanwilliam hotel for a night so that you can get the free wifi code.  You can then sit in their carpark and check you e-mails.  The hotel looks amazing on the web, but is a bit of a disappointment when you get there.  I seem to remember it being well cheap.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: Flights to Cape Town
February 25, 2008, 02:18:02 pm
It is possible to get to Clanwilliam without a car, just done some searching. One bus a day, not every day.

http://www.intercape.co.za/bookings.html?stage=1

But then you will still need to get to from clanwilliam to rocklands itself and back for provisions etc. It may be possible to hook up with someone with a car there, you could chance it?

You pass some amazing bits of rock on the way

Not as much as you see if you carry on further north on the N7 to Augrabies; the rock turns to granite (looks like granite of some sort anyway) and there are fields of boulders, crags and domes.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#7 Re: Flights to Cape Town
February 25, 2008, 07:25:58 pm
Your not planning on sleeping in a hedge again?

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#8 Re: Flights to Cape Town
February 26, 2008, 05:47:11 am
Cheers for the info - keep it coming!  I guess from cape Town, Rocklands in pretty close/easy to get to?  Do you defo need a hire car?

Hey CJD,

I'd definitely recommend a car - not having one is going to be a real hassle. Plus, as far as I know, there is nowhere to rent a car in Clanwilliam, so rent one at Cape Town Airport. Clanwilliam is 2 hours from Cape Town if you drive like me, 3 hours if you drive like normal people. Rocklands is 30 mins on a dirt road past it.

I'm happy to give guided tours etc - drop me a pm.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal