UKBouldering.com

To resole or not to resole? (Read 2771 times)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
To resole or not to resole?
August 09, 2003, 08:31:28 pm
I've only had my boots resoled twice and wasn't very impressed. When my toes go through now I just buy new boots. Does everyone else do this as well or is it that i've had bad resoles, not that it looked bad or anything but it just didn't feel right.

Also where's the cheapest places to get new boots from, I wear 5.10 anassai's velcros and usually get mine from decathlon for 65 quid which seems about normal price.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 To resole or not to resole?
August 10, 2003, 11:11:03 am
Never tried it - some people rate them but I tend to wear out uppers pretty much at the same rate as the rubber anyway, so it's never really an option.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#2 To resole or not to resole?
August 11, 2003, 07:22:37 am
Nah, never get boots resoled. Its ok if you want to stumble up HVS's but for anything involving standing on small holds just buy new ones.

Leeds wall have some good boot deals on at the moment, although I'm not sure that Anasazi Velcros specifically are on offer. They have some sizes of dragons, which are vastly improved Anasazis with a much better heel...

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#3 To resole or not to resole?
August 11, 2003, 10:07:50 am
I had a pair done in bishop by this geezer supposedly doing the best resoles on planet earth.....
i used them twice before abbandoning them in the southern hemisphere, crap crap and totally crap.
just buy some new uns

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#4 To resole or not to resole?
August 11, 2003, 09:57:20 pm
Glad it was not just me getting crap resoles.

These dargons you mention dobbin, they sound pretty good, cos I love my anasazi velcros but think the heel is fuckin shite. do the dragons come in velcro?
(excuse my limited knowledge of rock boots)

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#5 To resole or not to resole?
August 12, 2003, 01:44:45 am
Quote from: "Jim"
do the dragons come in velcro?
(excuse my limited knowledge of rock boots)

they only come in velcro - which i guess makes you a happy man

laid my hands on a couple of cheap pairs of Scarpa shoes recently - the slippers and the velcro dominators (35 quid a pair) - god they feel weird after using 5.10's for the last decade or so (gave me a good excuse to be falling off everything last weekend anyway)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#6 To resole or not to resole?
August 12, 2003, 07:21:26 am
I've just bought a pair of non 5.10 shoes (Red Chilli Voodoo's) and like you am really struggling to get to grips with them. I just think 5.10's really fit my feet well...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 To resole or not to resole?
August 12, 2003, 08:59:14 am
Quote from: "hongkongstuey"
and the velcro dominators (35 quid a pair)

I liked the velcro dominators - they didn't fit my heel that brilliantly but the fit of the rest of the shoe was great. The only problem was the build quality - the front strap mounting point tore off, so I took them back, got another pair and they did it again shortly afterwards. The guy at the well known climbing retailer said they were stopping stocking them for that reason. Can't go wrong for £35 mind.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#8 To resole or not to resole?
August 12, 2003, 09:58:25 am
I used to get great anasazi resoles from feet first on chesterfield road.

The trick is to get them done as soon as any hole appears, not when your toe is hanging out. I used to get at least another 6 months out of a pair, and they would wear out like a new pair, rather than the sole peeling off.
They needed a bit of wearing in but worked fine after.

Unfortunately the build quality of 5.10s is now poor they fall apart before I get the chance. The guys at the shop seemed pretty pissed off with them as it makes their resoles look shit.

If only I could find some mad rock shoes I would be wearin' them instead!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#9 To resole or not to resole?
August 12, 2003, 10:46:38 am
Quote from: "Johnny Brown"
If only I could find some mad rock shoes I would be wearin' them instead!

Had a look at some mad rock shoes in Joe Browns at Capel Curig, uppers felt well thin and had a crazy sole on them. A mate of mine was after a new pair of rock boots and he didn't like them either, he ended up with some boreal spiders which he's well happy with

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#10 To resole or not to resole?
August 12, 2003, 12:42:11 pm
Trust me, they are the shit.

The guy who makes them was a head honcho at 5.10 until he left 'cos he was fed up with the crap quality control and unwillingness to bring in new designs. To say nothing of the price - in the US they are ~£120 -and thats for a 10 year-old design.

RIP 5.10    
Long live Mad rock  Greg - why aren't they in the shops???

dave

#11 To resole or not to resole?
August 12, 2003, 01:57:16 pm
in reply ot the original kwestion:

when i started out climbing i had some boreal diablos, whihc i rated. They lasted about a year. I had them resoled by feet first in stealth, they lasted 2 months. Never been for a resole again.

Don't seem wowrth it to me, 50% of the original price for 20% of the life. A false ecomony. However soempeople swear by cheshire resoling.

I recon if you've got boardlasted boots then give resoling a go, for thin sliplasted shoes you're going to end up with a baggier shoe, and usually (certainly in my case) the uppers of the shoes are in such a state that you wouldn#t want to wear them for another year (gone black with sweat etc).

james

• obsessive maniac
#12 To resole or not to resole?
August 13, 2003, 05:18:25 pm
JB,
I am getting my mad dogs tomorrow so I will let you know how I get on.  
Cheers

James

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal