UKBouldering.com

Cratcliffe/RHS warning (Read 1710 times)

Nim

• regular
Cratcliffe/RHS warning
August 12, 2003, 04:28:22 pm
After a damp and seeping visit to Churnet Valley on Saturday, we decided to stop off at Cratcliffe on the way home.  As we arrived on the top road (with the path going to RHS), three guys were just calling the police, and attempting to clear the broken glass from their car seats (apparently Metolius brushes are very good for this!), as their car had been broken into.  There was also another patch of smashed glass on the road, so the thieves had obviously just walked down the road and smashed the windows of any cars parked, and nicked whatever they could find.  In the case of the guy we spoke to, they had taken a bag containing his prescription glasses and contact lenses - how very useful for them.....

Anyway, just be warned that the car crime spate has now spread to Cratcliffe.  I'm not sure if the bottom road would be safer - might just be sensible to empty the car and leave it unlocked?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Cratcliffe/RHS warning
August 12, 2003, 05:46:30 pm
Unfortunately these people are that stupid that even if you leave your car unlocked they will still smash the window. Best policy is to leave nothing on show at all and leave your glove box open when parking in high risk areas (although they might just smash your window anyway).

A mate of mine at work had his back window smashed and they took his bag with a towel in it. Seems pointless but if there's a bag on show it might have something valuable in it

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Cratcliffe/RHS warning
August 12, 2003, 06:02:35 pm
Great. I've seen a lot of broken glass at the bottom end, but the top road has always been fine as it's off the beaten track and can be seen easily from the crag.

Only way to stop this is to either stake it out and collect evidence by video in the hope the police may persue it (they're sure not going to otherwise) or to stake it out and don balaclavas and big hurty sticks.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#3 Cratcliffe/RHS warning
August 12, 2003, 06:20:29 pm
I'm all for balaclavas and instruments of pain! Might stick a sharp knive on the end of my telescopic pole instead of a toothbrush

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#4 Cratcliffe/RHS warning
August 12, 2003, 06:23:28 pm
I've always wanted a crossbow.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#5 Cratcliffe/RHS warning
August 12, 2003, 06:30:26 pm
Been trying to convince my girlfriend to let me buy a nice petrol chain saw
to cut our fire wood up with for the winter, now I have another reason for her to let me get one. Texas chainsaw masacre stylee mutherfuckers!

A cross bow would be pretty cool as well

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Cratcliffe/RHS warning
August 12, 2003, 06:41:22 pm
Crossbow is good for stealth death. But really you want them to feel fear. A chainsaw is ok, but I reckon they'd probably outrun you when you started coming at them, then you might trip up and accidentally empty your own guts. Bad.

I think you've got to catch them, then perhaps "Death of a thousand cuts" would be a good finishing technique?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal