UKBouldering.com

James Pearson climbs last great line of Cratcliffe! (Read 31216 times)

Andy_P

• regular
Look at the end of the day Adam could have taken photo's, he was going to shoot some for use in the guidebook which wasn't a problem. The problem was having photo's published elsewhere or all over the internet as it does dilute the impact of them in a climbing mag so I did tell Adam that I'd a deal with Climb mag and that I wouldn't appreciate them been published elsewhere. I also know that if he wished to take pictures then there's nothing I can do about. I've been asked the same thing by other photographers and have respected their wishes without comment. It just happens sometime so i'm surprised that such a big deal is being made of this. You also have to remember that a lot of time and effort goes into these things and you don't just turn up the once. Pehaps the way I asked him could have been done better but there you go, I was more woried about James being successful and not hurting himself.

What you should be talking about is James's ascent which was filmed by the Hot Aches crew for a future DVD.

p.s. what can't I spell

There are a lot of climbers / photographers out there who I am sure will agree that it is great when the opportunity arises to witness and record a mighty impressive first ascent. I personally think that if someone tells you not to take photos of them, then you should respect their wishes and refrain. However, as a photographer, you know that you have no right to do that (even the subject has no legal right), not even a moral one. If you had asked, I am sure any other snappers there would have kept their coveted shots to themselves / pub mates and not try to beat you to your exclusive. But that is all you should have asked for. Anything more is arrogant.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
The problem isn't with you, David, or this particular event. The problem is that a conflict of interest over climbing media is a natural and unsavoury conclusion to high profile climbing + sponsorship + media + the need of various individuals to make money from it.  There's no-one in particular to criticise and probably no easy answers either. Probably worth a topic of it's own (although it could get pretty heated).

As for James ascent....I'd like to talk more about it but I don't know what to say really. I liked the footage on Committed and look forward to the footage on C2.

Now, what about the faint blank finger flake/ripple to the right.... ;)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
 This is an interesting and valid discussion, but if people want to carry on with it would they please do so on a separate thread.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Well done James! Can't wait to see the footage.

Is this now called "The Groove", or has a name not been decided yet?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
 :bow:
That is all.

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb
Shit, I can't believe this. We were at the Stride Saturday and saw some roped stuff at the Tor, we thought it was a bit odd looking but didn't bother going to look!

Tremendous work though.

Jenn

• regular
Amazing effort and totally inspiring.

:bow:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Well done James! Can't wait to see the footage.

Is this now called "The Groove", or has a name not been decided yet?

It'll be called "James' Ramp" :lol:
Well done again thought Youth.   :great:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 02:32:12 pm by GCW, Reason: I can\'t spell either »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Excellent.  :bow:

nik at work

• forum hero
Effort youth.

dave

more beans on here:

http://hotaches.blogspot.com/2008/02/groove-e10-7b.html

I must admit i never had this down as a bold route, i don't think i ever considered the top half into the equation.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
 :agree:

Boom, biggest line falls etc. Brilliant effort youth.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Didn't Dawes used to guff on about however many Brit 7c moves it was in a row . . . ?!

Q:  How tall is James?

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
he's taller than you, which really isn't saying much is it  :P

even though you are taller than me but that really isn't too hard.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
I've no idea who you are pal . . .

You're right, it's not saying much.

dave

would be interesting to see how many more of these Youth can get knocked off:

http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/4755/climbing/gritlist/grit_lgp.html

Idol eyes

• junky
Alright!!!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Have I missed something or has the Kinder arete been done?

dave

Kinder?

(That is an old website though, a few of those have now been done, i'm on about the outstanding ones.)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Sorry I'm el confusio, I know jack about grit . . .

I though there was an ultra beau line to go at Kinder (is it kinder) - somewhere - hanging arete, desp and very bold. 

Oli

• obsessive maniac

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Look, I must find more info from Katz, he showed me a picture of an outstanding arete in a guidebook, I tell thee, it looked utterly horrific.  Perhaps it's not Kinder . . .   This was last year - it was unclimbed.

nik at work

• forum hero
Possibbly the Hen cloud arete (route) or the Churnet one (boulder problem), can't remember where in churnet it is Sharpcliffe? Is that even a place in Churnet?

Dr T

• forum hero
Mick's headline will be something like "UKB in 2-days-behind-the-pace news shocker!".
  From UK Rubbish....

Mick Ryan - Editor - UKC  on - 13:52 Mon - www.ukclimbing.com/news/
One of the last great problems on Gritstone has been climbed. The groove below Fern Hill at Cratcliffe Tor was climbed by James Pearson on Saturday.

so... "Mick Ryan running to catch up with news when his headline was already on UKB"........  or something like that  :lol:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Look, I must find more info from Katz, he showed me a picture of an outstanding arete in a guidebook, I tell thee, it looked utterly horrific.  Perhaps it's not Kinder . . .   This was last year - it was unclimbed.

Direct start below Sickbay Shuffle @ Wimberry??

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal