UKBouldering.com

Windows Genuine Advantage Notification - what is it? (Read 2897 times)

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Ok. First up I'm running Windoze XP Pro sp2 which as far as I'm aware is a legit version. I bought the laptop 2nd hand off fleabay, and it came with what looked like a genuine disk. Whilst I didn't buy it with the expectation it would last very long, the brick itself is doing quite nicely. Windows seems to have a problem though . So I've got a few queries (querys?).

First up what the hell does this mean:
 :shrug:

The little star symbol is somehow connected.

I've been getting it for the last 2 weeks or so... and I've clicked on the link before now, but it tells me to go to Start> Programs> Accessories> then (I think System Tools, then) something which I don't have (Validation or something). I thought maybe it would go away, but if it's not then would a reinstall be of use? I don't know if I can be arsed to download all the freeware programs again. I'd just go to a nice level of being able to watch whatever I wanted etc etc. Oh well.

The second query is about Linux. Basically how easy is it to use? I can work my way around a computer pretty successfully, update drivers and pretty simple things like that, but I can't code for shit, and I can't remember prompts exept "cmd.exe". Is there any way of being able to try it without stuffing up Windows should I decide it's too much for me? I've looked into Linux a bit, but never in a serious way, but I'd be willing to give i a bash if it's relatively simple. I don't have a CD or DVD burner, but could buy one if it helps.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

I suspect your copy of windows isn't genuine.

Slack--line is the linux expert on here and i'm sure he'll be able to enlighten you. You can certainly dual-boot linux and windows on the same computer in order to have a play with it before committing yourself.

andy_e

• forum hero
Then again, this could be some sort of spyware. Run some spybot checks to be sure. My version of XP sp2 is "legit" and I've never had that thing come up ta all in the past 2 years.

underground

• forum hero
It's not spyware- if you let Windows auto-update, Microsoft runs a check on your version at that time, and this is what happens when it detects a non-legit copy.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
The second query is about Linux. Basically how easy is it to use? I can work my way around a computer pretty successfully, update drivers and pretty simple things like that, but I can't code for shit, and I can't remember prompts exept "cmd.exe". Is there any way of being able to try it without stuffing up Windows should I decide it's too much for me? I've looked into Linux a bit, but never in a serious way, but I'd be willing to give i a bash if it's relatively simple. I don't have a CD or DVD burner, but could buy one if it helps.

Using Linux becomes easier with time.  Its not that hard to start off with, especially with a distro like Ubuntu.

You don't need to be able to code at all.

You can try it out without doing anything to your current installation by grabbing a "Live" CD.  Stick one of these in your CD-drive and when you reboot your computer choose to boot from that drive.  It'll unpack and run the whole operating system in memory (RAM), and providing you don't have bleeding edge hardware in all likelihood everything will be detected and setup and running.

You can get these discs in a number of ways.  You can download and burn the CD/DVD image, but fear not.  You can get Ubuntu discs mailed to you for free from https://shipit.ubuntu.com/.  (Says it takes 6-10 weeks which seems a long time though).  The other option is to buy a Linux magazine that has a cover-disc with the distro you want.  There are literally thousands of Linxu variants out there, some are more friendly than others, and if your starting out I'd recommend going for Ubuntu.  Check out the user forums as well, as they'll be an invaluable resource should you choose to stick with it.

As Bubba says, should you choose to install then you can keep your windows installation and dual boot, providing you have sufficient spare disk space (and it would be a good idea to back up your data before repartitioning your hard drive).

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
Drew, I can send you something that will "fix" the issue you are having. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it over.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Another thing - don't use the Microsoft update service, but go to http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/ and use a browser like Firefox - you can get all the updates but without getting the WGA check.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Cheers Gruff. Will come have a play with Ubuntu. Have used Uncle's 'fix'. Will restart and see if it's worked. Did you get out at all, or were you tax dodging?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal