UKBouldering.com

Loud N-n-n-n-nnnnoisy Guitar Shizzle [Rock/Metal/Thrash etc] (Read 171383 times)

saintlade

• player
Am liking the new Sonic Youth album, The Eternal. It's no Murray Street but first impressions are good; has that unknowing familiararity about it.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Right back to the nnnnnnnnnnnnnnoisy bizzle. Death metal (as well as dark ambient) has been really suiting my mood recently, hence a slew of recent purchases:

Dying Fetus - War Of Attrition (inspired by the video that WGC posted on here, pretty good and very brutal)
http://www.amazon.com/War-Attrition-Dying-Fetus/dp/B000MNOXK8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251992658&sr=8-2

Misery Index - Discordia (pretty similarly brutal, utterly remorseless punky death grind)
http://www.amazon.com/Discordia-Misery-Index/dp/B000F1I0TW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251992638&sr=8-2

Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh (this is very good and interesting, this needs checking out. Sort of heavy melodic diverse death/thrash metal that sounds like...ah....ummm....well exactly. The closest thing is perhaps the exotic feel of mid-skool Sepultura, but they definitely stand out).
http://www.amazon.com/Way-All-Flesh-Gojira/dp/B001F7XIJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251992674&sr=8-1

Bolt Thrower - Realm Of Chaos (I had this years ago and for some mad reason got rid of the CD, so I've had to re-buy it. Proof that they don't make them like they used to, this is a classic of grinding guitars and manic blastbeats. World Eater is total crushage and Drowned In Torment I first heard on John Peel!)
http://www.amazon.com/Realm-Chaos-Bolt-Thrower/dp/B000CSULRW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251992561&sr=8-2

Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal (....or maybe they do make them as good as they used to! More refined and doomier BT, one of their best recent albums, heavy and really catchy in places.)
http://www.amazon.com/Those-Once-Loyal-Bolt-Thrower/dp/B000BNTML4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251992561&sr=8-1

Carcass - Wake Up And Smell The... (just making sure I have the full spectrum of Carcass covered)
http://www.amazon.com/Wake-Up-Smell-Carcass/dp/B000024O10/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251992591&sr=8-12

Entombed - Left Hand Path (again a bit of nostalgia, good honest death metal)
http://www.amazon.com/Left-Hand-Path-Entombed/dp/B00000582R/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251992616&sr=8-1

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
Went to see the Eagles of Death Metal last Wednesday in Dublin - they were superb!!
A real fun, sleazy, driving, sexy type band who have a real laugh on stage!
The whole gig was like a big party and you can definitely hear the Queens Of The Stone Age influence in them as well (they are a side project of one of the Queen's guys)!!

If they play somewhere near you I defo recommend getting to see them!  :thumbsup:
Anyone else got their bug??

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Dying Fetus - War Of Attrition

Bolt Thrower - Realm Of Chaos
Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal

Carcass - Wake Up And Smell The...

Entombed - Left Hand Path

Nice one, Fined.
Left Hand Path and most Carcass stuff is high on my favourites list.
Of the Dying Fetus stuff I've heard, I like them.  I take it you'd recommend an album of theirs for the collection?
I found Those Once Loyal took longer to grip me than most of the older stuff, but it's still very good.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
I didn't check out much Dying Fetus, I chose War Of Attrition because it had that Homicidal Retribution track you posted and it sounded pretty good. I like the dual vocals, often works well in death/grind (i.e. Carcass).

Haven't played it to my mum yet but can get more feedback when I do.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I really like Homicidal Retribution, kinda like a better version of Deicide.
And I like the guitar technicality too, really refreshing.

Stubbs

Got an Amon Amarth album after watching this

I was not disappointed

nik at work

• forum hero
Stubbs I quite liked that, anybody care to suggest similar music for consumption? This type of music falls some way out of my sphere of knowledge.

On a slightly off topic note, I'm struggling to marry shouty/thrashy/bangy music with the quiet polite well spoken gentleman I have met a couple of times. There must be a dark side.

And on another slightly off topic note I really must go snowboarding again soon.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Really, some days, it's quite hard to beat some good honest Viking Battle Metal  \M/

I can heartily recommend Amon Amarth - Versus The World , also With Oden On Our Side is pretty good.

Within those realms of metal, Arch Enemy - Wages Of Sin is pretty good.

Definitely make sure you get hold of Alestorm - Black Sails At Midnight and Captain Morgan's revenge, just brilliant.

Also that Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh album could be up your passage as it were.

P.S. Welcome aboard :D

Stubbs

On a slightly off topic note, I'm struggling to marry shouty/thrashy/bangy music with the quiet polite well spoken gentleman I have met a couple of times.

Nothing but a carefully constructed mask my friend, one which occasionally slips  ;D

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
I thought he was referring to CGW lol. Should have known something was amiss.

I thought Stubb's wardrobe of skulls gave it away?

Stubbs

I thought he was referring to CGW lol.

hmmm perhaps he was, a qualifier such as lanky or stumpy would have been useful...

On a similar theme, slightly less thrashy, Immortal

on many ships I have sailed

Immortal - Beyond the north waves

nik at work

• forum hero
Quiet?

Polite?

Well spoken?

Gentleman?

GCW??!!??

I've never seen Stubbs wardrobe. Is it made entirely of skulls or do the skulls form a decorative covering of what is essentially just a wooden wardrobe?

P.S. Cheers for the various recommendations, I shall indulge in research once the youth has stopped vomiting on me...

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Balls to you all.

Nik, I have one or two Discs I could spin for you. 

nik at work

• forum hero

Ferrito

• regular
  • newsell
Amon Amarth?

Meads of Albion are fairly similar ish. If you like Alestorm, you'll probably enjoy Turisas as well.

Oh, and I rate Ensiferum, and Forefather's new track. Brilliant

Forefather - Summer's Flame[/url]]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjufQDP_ICE#]Forefather - Summer's Flame[/url]

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
My metal playlist recently has consisted mostly of:

Gojira - From Mars To Sirius more original, inventive and catchy thrash/death, not as refined as TWOAF but still very good.

Lamb Of God - Wrath apparently a bit of an inspiration for Gojira and very good indeed. Similarly creative, diverse, thrashy death stuff with plenty of good heavy riffage. Recommended.

Despised Icon - The Ills Of Modern Man - straight up brutal deathcore with some forceful riffs and ugly vocals. Not bad.

Burning Skies - Greed Filth Abuse Corruption - see above!! Although with a different feel. Also not bad.

Winds Of Plague - Decimate The Weak - more deathcore stuff but with more punky vocals and also quite a bit of keyboardy stuff. Blackpunkcore? Not bad either.

The more deathcorey stuff is quite good, but then I stick on Realms Of Chaos again and despite being 20 years old the catchy grinding riffs and gruesome guitar tone still piss all over a lot of these modern bands. Some I'm a bit hesitant to recommend them whole heartedly. I think out of the lot I probably still prefer All Shall Perish... Lamb Of God is the best new discovery for me though.

Ferrito

• regular
  • newsell
A lot of people rate Lamb of God pretty highly... Have you heard any of their back catalogue? New American Gospel isn't that good, but Sacrament, Ashes of the Wake and As the Palaces Burn are all pretty darn tooting.

Parkway Drive are meant to be fairly similar, but I haven't heard enough of their stuff to recommend anything...

Stubbs

Free Thirty Days of Night Records 5 year compilation download

http://www.tdonizgrimm.info/

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
being a) computer inept and b) just plain lazy, I give you this fine link:

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Hmmm, let's see if this works:

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Not that noisy, but for all AIC fans a very poiniant song by Jerry and the gang:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
I tried not to laugh....and failed utterly  :lol:

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
Was trying to find some Kyuss to add too, but there isn't anything really good on youtube.

you're insane

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal