UKBouldering.com

Val di Mello beta please (Read 4699 times)

n_man

• obsessive maniac
Val di Mello beta please
July 10, 2008, 09:29:27 pm
I've read a few threads on a search (and have awesome beta on coffee and pizza hmmm  :dance1: ) but would specifically like to know:

1. Is access a problem/still a problem?

2. Is there a bouldering guide on the net or a guidebook avaliable?

3. Which campsite is the best one to stay at or are there cheap lodgings in the village?

:please:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1 Re: Val di Mello beta please
July 11, 2008, 09:53:27 pm
hey, i've not been in one year but:
- i wouldn't spend much time just in val di mello; in valmasino there are many many boulders as well and even if in a less scenic setting, they're classics also form the early 80's. absolutely do "tarzan" it's in the main area of valmasino, and also "decksanddrumsandrocknroll" it's from ex world cup top 3 cristian brenna; and absolutely go to "bagni di masino" area, it's the end of the valley and where they held the last melloblocco. plus, if you go to the very val di mello, walk furher up the valley the boulders are beautiful and not greased.
- the "sasso remenno camping" is the place to be and they are very friendly, but i suggest you to book;
- i think the only guide book you can find on the net is "bloc notes" maybe you can buy it online or somewhere there, probably at the "centro polifunzionale di montagna" in filorera; it's not very good but it has also many other areas including cresch and chiron. you could ask at the campsite. i think a very good call would be getting hold of the melloblocco 08 guide, it's just a drawn sketch but will do the deal.
now i want to go as well...

n_man

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Val di Mello beta please
July 13, 2008, 10:33:04 pm
Thanks Nibile - much waddage for the awesome beta  :great:

n_man

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Val di Mello beta please
August 07, 2008, 05:56:14 pm
I have the guide for the area now and it looks awesome. Proper psyched.

Shy Yorkshireman

• regular
    • climblox
#4 Re: Val di Mello beta please
August 08, 2008, 10:19:34 am
Just got back. Never bouldered we were using one of those rope things, if you have one take it it's awsome. But no where near as good as the pizza in the place opposite bar monica. fucking well good. Don't bother with a stove and all that cooking shizzel just go there every night. Very nice owner as well.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#5 Re: Val di Mello beta please
August 08, 2008, 10:35:08 am
Just got back. Never bouldered we were using one of those rope things, if you have one take it it's awsome. But no where near as good as the pizza in the place opposite bar monica. fucking well good. Don't bother with a stove and all that cooking shizzel just go there every night. Very nice owner as well.

yues i found that, its amazing pretty cheap as well, mello rocks, I went there to boulder but took ropes just in case, the sport climbing road side is superb

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Val di Mello beta please
August 14, 2008, 10:57:40 am
I to can only big- up melloblocco, its amazing, good food, good problems, good routes the only thing that surprised me was the lack of climbers, but then its no magic woods no soft touches here. I'll be returning when it gets a bit colder as summer was a bit hot, but early/late sessions are cool.  :thumbsup:

schroe58

#7 Re: Val di Mello beta please
September 16, 2008, 01:09:54 pm
hello, i am an american student studying abroad and i'll be traveling to val di mello this weekend. i have heard from a fellow italian that you can take a train to sondrio then a bus to san martino, is this correct? i don't want to get all the way to sondrio and then get stuck and not be able to access val di mello. also, any suggestions on where to sleep for a few days? thanks!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#8 Re: Val di Mello beta please
September 16, 2008, 10:56:56 pm
ciao,
you can for sure get a bus up to san martino, as when i drive there i always find many buses coming down the turns a full speed and trying to crush my small car. otherwise you can easily find a lift on some climber's car.
as far as sleeping goes, there are many options. if you have a tent go to the sasso remenno camping. all the big guns stay there.
otherwise you can sleep at the "centro polifunzionale della montagna" in filorera, 10 meters from tons of bouldering. alle the french big guns stay there.
otherwise, if you go for bouldering, you can walk up to val di mello (proper valley) and sleep at the "gatto rosso" hut. only gatto rosso stay there, but the experience is worth in itself: he is a funny, nice drunk (i mean drunk at any given hour) and always talk to foreigners as if they were his long lost brother. minutes from the boulders.
enjoy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal