UKBouldering.com

Mobile phone recommendations please... (Read 165084 times)

Dolly

• forum hero
#550 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 30, 2019, 10:22:49 pm
I've tried the iphone/Android WhatsApp switch and it just doesn't work. Took it on as a tech challenge (been making games/apps for phones since 2000)and although there's theoretically a way ...
After years of anti iphone prejudice ( based on experience) I did actually try to use one for a few months this year. Various models and form factors but they're basically not as good as a pixel. UI and app UI/UX is usually not as good.
Can't see any reason to get anything other than a secondhand pixel. Brilliant camera as well

remus

• forum hero
#551 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 30, 2019, 10:37:01 pm
Id second a google pixel, had one for a few years now and it's been great. Particularly enjoy the regular OS updates, started off on android 7.1 and just updated to 10 a few days ago and still runs very smoothly. Camera is mint. Finger print reader is a bit log, though I've never found one that works for me (tried iphones and samsung galaxys) so might just be my scatty climbing fingers.

If you fancy splashing a bit more cash the pixel 3a is meant to be excellent value https://store.google.com/gb/product/pixel_3a and if you can wait a couple of weeks the pixel 4 is coming out which will most likely mean a tasty price drop for the 3a and/or some cheap options on ebay.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#552 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
September 30, 2019, 11:54:35 pm
For a cheaper alternative to the Pixel phones you could also try an Android One phone, these have stock android that get guaranteed regular updates. For example the Xiaomi Mi A3 can be had for £136 (only the 64GB version however it does have a micro sd slot - https://www.eglobalcentraluk.com/xiaomi-mi-a3-dual-sim-4gb-64gb-kind-of-grey-international-ver..html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwz8bsBRC6ARIsAEyNnvoxreVqeEGxNBfRyzAs7xnmaESx-3rU21Y2tCswdY4ocrPxq4ezP0UaAp7JEALw_wcB). This is a slightly smaller form factor than lots of new phones so may suit you better than most of the newer phones that probably fit your definition of massive. It has a full screen amoled screen however this is only 720p, this is great for battery life however might annoy you with the lower resolution. Other good things are it has a headphone jack, inscreen fingerprint scanner (find that a thumb works better as a climber rather than finger...), and a decent triple camera setup. Downsides are no NFC, also no official waterproofing.

If you want a slight step up then the Xiaomi Mi 9T might also be an option. This is what i have and it does everything i want in a phone for £230 for 64GB or £260 for 128GB (https://www.eglobalcentraluk.com/xiaomi-mi-9t-6gb-64gb-dual-sim-redmi-k20-flame-red-en.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwz8bsBRC6ARIsAEyNnvoNWY-fo6ZdGEPjAHOvU7usgWr-xAcQuwCsVs08R2CVcUW3r0oH_5caAu24EALw_wcB). It has Xiaomi Miui software however so far i found the experience pretty decent (especially using the Poco launcher so i have an app drawer), also Xiaomi are known for offering regular updates of the software with monthly security patches and Android 10 already confirmed for this device before the end of the year. Benefits over the A3 are slightly better triple camera setup, pop selfie camera so no screen notch, bigger screen 6.39" 19.5:9 (doesn't feel too large though due to having minimal bezels), better chipset (snapdragon 730), NFC for mobile payments, also it still has a headphone jack.

nik at work

• forum hero
Thanks everyone  ;D. Looks like sticking with android and plenty of food for thought...

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
+1 Dolly's tip on a Pixel, couple of mates have them and the camera in particular takes some really good shots.

I've had about every generation of Moto for the last 5 or 6 years and I think as a budget phone you can't fault them. Cheap but an acceptable compromise of functionality, you can expand the memory yourself with an SD card and importantly (for me) they are Not An Apple Phone.

That said, thanks to my new employer subsidising my phone contract I have a flash new Samsung S10+, which is the first cutting edge phone I think I've ever owned. It really is good, though I don't think I'd ever pay for it myself if it was my money.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Play around with the slow mo and super slomo video functions, TTT, they are pretty cool.

Paul B

• forum hero
I've had about every generation of Moto for the last 5 or 6 years and I think as a budget phone you can't fault them. Cheap but an acceptable compromise of functionality, you can expand the memory yourself with an SD card and importantly (for me) they are Not An Apple Phone.

I think my Honor is better than my last Moto G.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Play around with the slow mo and super slomo video functions, TTT, they are pretty cool.

I have been - good for a trip to the park with the kids!

Like the timelapse one too - did a cool one of my daughter doing a jigsaw.

205Chris

• forum hero
#558 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
February 15, 2020, 09:12:38 am
Bump.

Finally smashed the screen on my old Sony Xperia the other day after 2 years of ownership which means I'm looking for a new phone.

Any suggestions on the latest and greatest budget Smartphones for 2020? Ideally I'd like to spend less than £200

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#559 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
February 15, 2020, 09:39:19 am
Motorola moto g7 power. 8 is out or due so available from John Lewis for £130. Apparently there are budget phones as good or better now but the Motorola's still seem great to me.

tomtom

• forum hero
#560 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
February 15, 2020, 09:46:39 am
Or repair the screen?

crzylgs

• stalker
#561 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
February 15, 2020, 11:41:34 am
Motorola moto g7 power. 8 is out or due so available from John Lewis for £130. Apparently there are budget phones as good or better now but the Motorola's still seem great to me.

:agree:

Been a fan of Motorola's phones for a while as a 'Budget but fully featured Android' option.

Over the last few years have upgraded my parents both to Moto offerings, no qualms so far.

I'd be temtped to get one myself when my Nexus 5x finally gives up the ghost.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#562 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
February 15, 2020, 08:52:44 pm
Got a Xiaomi Mi A3 for my mum recently. Seems to be great for the £126 paid. Battery lasts ages, nearly stock android, decent triple cameras, amoled screen, one handed/pocketable size. Only downsides really are no NFC for payments and 720p screen (this does help the battery life though so maybe a compromise worth making) - #Aliexpress £126.02 | Global Version Xiaomi Mi A3 MiA3 4GB 64GB Smartphone Snapdragon 665 Octa Core 6.088" AMOLED Screen 48MP AI Camera 4030mAh EU
https://a.aliexpress.com/_sgqAlk

I also have a Xiaomi phone, the mi 9t. Has been brilliant so far. Got all the features I need for a brilliant price (approx £250). Has a larger screen than the a3, full screen amoled with a pop up camera, has NFC for payments and a still brilliant battery life. Also has been upgraded to the most recent android 10 only last month, this was a much quicker update than I have ever had with any of the major brands (Samsung, sony, etc).

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#563 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
February 16, 2020, 01:44:46 pm
Smashed by Xperia z5 compact, which was final nail (microphone randomly wouldn't work, camera made progressively shitter photos, battery life diminishing).

Ended up with a OnePlus 6T for £320ish off Amazon (nearly new basically opened, but not used). Great battery life, good camera.

But.

18:9 screen is a pain in the ass to use, I now have to use my phone 2 handed and I have big hands. Youtube either cuts the top and bottom off a video if viewed in a browser (landscape), or you get a black band either side to get it to 16:9. Weird design trend this 18:9 shit.

I had looked into a google pixel as it was a bit smaller, but can;t remember why I went the 6T route.

Also, it's USB-C, so old cables won't work and has an adapter for headphones. On the other hand, it last 2 full days of actual use and can charge in under an hour with the Dash charger, which is 4A and has the charging circuitry in the charger, so the battery doesn't heat up when charging, meaning it should last a lot longer.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#564 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
February 16, 2020, 02:17:08 pm
I now have to use my phone 2 handed and I have big hands.

Makes me laugh/despair to see young kids with the biggest phone they can eek out of their parents which turn out to be too big for them to handle then they need one of those devices that slots between their fingers so they can actually hold the thing. Somewhat defeats the object of mobile.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
 After smashing my old phone in a fit of frustration when it crashed during a repeaters session, I've bought a Huawei P Smart 2019 for £130.

Initial impressions for the money are very good, if anyone is after a budget phone that seems to do everything I need it for.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
spidermonkey09, for one, welcomes our new Chinese Government Overlords  ;D

spidermonkey09

• forum hero

I reasoned if they want to watch me I have no doubt they already can, so what do I have to lose... :2thumbsup:

Paul B

• forum hero
Initial impressions for the money are very good, if anyone is after a budget phone that seems to do everything I need it for.

My spy-phone is lasting much better than my previous MOTO offerrings. OS updates are regular and without hassle.

I'm just about to press "buy" on 4G internet with a spy-router  :tumble:  :worms:

Duma

• forum hero
Not Chinese overlord related, but I too am about to press buy on a new phone (Samsung s10e), and thought I should check with the hive mind first:
Not apple
Actually fit in a pocket and be usable with one hand.
Good camera
Headphone jack
Battery life
Decent chip/speed
Not cost a fortune

Last couple of phones have been Sony xz1 compacts.
S10e is the best compromise I can see given the above, though better battery life would be nice. Any options I'm missing?

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
Pixel 4 for a good camera and fast updates could be an option, small battery though and not cheap at £500. Xiaomi Mi 9SE could be a cheaper option as can be got brand new for £300, probably 95% as good as the other options and cheaper.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
Pixel 3a but misses out on headphone jack so you have to use USB C or move to Blu tooth headphones.

https://store.google.com/gb/product/pixel_3a

Duma

• forum hero
Where have you seen a pixel 4 for £500? Could be a goer at that price

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
Direct from google. They currently have an offer with £169 off.

https://store.google.com/gb/config/pixel_4

sdm

• forum abuser
Pixel 3a but misses out on headphone jack so you have to use USB C or move to Blu tooth headphones.

https://store.google.com/gb/product/pixel_3a

The Pixel 3a has a headphone jack.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal