UKBouldering.com

Mobile phone recommendations please... (Read 166762 times)

remus

• forum hero
The Google pixel a series phones are a solid budget choice. 7a is the most recent, but the 6a is a solid performer and pretty cheap at the mo at £300 https://store.google.com/gb/config/pixel_6a?hl=en-GB&selections=eyJwcm9kdWN0RmFtaWx5IjoiY0dsNFpXeGZObUU9In0%3D

Paul B

• forum hero
Thanks Remus. The 6a looks reasonable enough but I wouldn't spend any more on a phone as it'll most likely die being dropped when riding, or being put down a manhole at work to photograph something, or an accidental swim in a reservoir (or another similar ending etc.).

The Sony Xperia 10 V looks like it might also be a viable option as the aspect ratio makes it look like it'll be fairly easy to handle with one hand.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
I got a Huawei years ago and it's still going. Think I paid about 200 off Amazon which would also help with getting it quick. Think it was the P30 but can't be sure.

Paul B

• forum hero
I had one which met a similar end. It was fantastic but the new ones can't access the Play Store in a straightforward way?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
I've been pretty happy with my OnePlus 7T. Got it a couple of years ago refurbished (basically new) from backmarket.com.

Good camera (for sharing / phone viewing - often better than my Sony rx100 in low/awkward light for snaps), wouldn't recommend printing etc.

I've got a fairly simple rubber case and have dropped it many times on hard surfaces. The glass back panel is smashed to bits but the screen is fine! (I use a toughened glass cover).

Best thing is the warp charge. 40 mins to 80% and about 50 to full. Battery lasts 2 full days when new.

I'd say one hand use is doable as I do this when belaying etc.

205Chris

• forum hero
#630 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
November 03, 2023, 10:58:05 am
The Redmi that I got a couple of years ago mentioned in this thread has served me well but is slowly grinding to a halt.

Any good recommendations for sub £300 phones?

remus

• forum hero
#631 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
November 03, 2023, 11:21:12 am
At the limit of your budget but google pixel phones are a solid choice https://store.google.com/config/pixel_6a?hl=en-GB

Paul B

• forum hero
#632 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
November 03, 2023, 11:34:10 am
I read yesterday that now Honor are not attached to Huawei they can once again easily access the play store.

I'm still on my backup phone which is smashed and a week or so after using it took an unplanned swim in a sink of water which makes me a bit nervous about spending any more than I have to.

IanP

• forum abuser
#633 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
November 03, 2023, 01:52:10 pm
At the limit of your budget but google pixel phones are a solid choice https://store.google.com/config/pixel_6a?hl=en-GB

My standard answer to this is to have a  look at contract deals. Factoring in £10 a month sim cost you can get a Pixel 7a for £200 to £220 with roaming included on O2 or Id (3 network). Great value if the network choices work for you.

I've been really happy with my Pixel 5 and will very likely replace with another Pixel when the time comes.

Paul B

• forum hero
#634 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
November 03, 2023, 03:53:24 pm
Smarty are apparently good (and inc. roaming).

thunderbeest

• regular
#635 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
November 03, 2023, 04:38:35 pm
I went for Fairphone 4 for both me and my wife as I like to fix things myself when they break.

205Chris

• forum hero
#636 Re: Mobile phone recommendations please...
November 26, 2023, 07:21:05 pm
Cheers for the recommendations. Nearly went Pixel 6 but Google are discounting the 7 at the moment so pushed the boat out. Watch me smash it on a boulder in the next month or so.

Impressed with it so far.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal