UKBouldering.com

Mobile phone recommendations please... (Read 165122 times)

remus

• forum hero
Where have you seen a pixel 4 for £500? Could be a goer at that price

Dont know how much of a deal breaker it is but the 4 doesn't have a headphone jack.

There's rumours of the 4a being released fairly soon (next month or two) and if it's an upgrade on the 3a at a decent price it should be a banger. Depends if you can be bothered to wait though, plenty of other good phones on the market at the mo.

andy popp

• forum hero
I have an iPhone 11 (not my choice, work gave it to me). I guess I got it in December. Battery life has collapsed dramatically over the last three or four days. I've not changed how I use it (very basic, occasional calls and texting, internet, largely on wifi but sometimes on 4G, taking pictures) and haven't downloaded any new apps. Is this a known glitch? Any suggestions?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
If it’s that new then it will be covered if the battery is faulty.  There’s a battery health measure in the battery settings menu you can check, and Apple can also run some diagnostics online whilst you’re chatting to them on your phone. I had similar a couple of models ago and they replaced the battery for free.

Edit: if battery health looks fine, may be worth trying a soft reset to see if that fixes it, and if you have a back up sorted you can also try full factory reset and upload your stuff back on. These can often be the first steps Apple will recommend.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 11:02:27 am by teestub »

tomtom

• forum hero
Anything that uses the GPS can cane the battery too Andy. In privacy settings - look at location services and that will tell you whats been using the GPS and you can switch it off for that app.

To add to Stubbsys great suggestion - in the battery option of settings - aside from the battery health option it shows battery usage by app. Which may reveal if one thing action or app is caning the battery.

andy popp

• forum hero
Thanks both.

Simon W

• menacing presence
Had a Moto g5 for a few years which has been fine. Camera is rubbish though and I only seem to take pics with my phone these days so looking for a decent camera.

Had a look at the following

Moto 8 & 9 range
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9T
Realme 3 Pro

Got a cheap sim deal which i’m happy with so would prefer to buy rather than get a contract.
Any recommendations for something preferably under £200?

Ged

• junky
You can pick up refurb Samsung galaxy s8 for less than 200 on ebay. I've got one, the camera is ace, battery life is fine, does everything else well.

remus

• forum hero
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro has great specs and is meant to be amazing value for £200, been getting great reviews. You can get better cameras on a phone but you'll need to spend some more money.

If you want to stretch the budget the pixel 4a has a great camera and a clean android install with none of the crap you get on other phones, plus you're guaranteed regular software updates for 3-4 years. Great battery life too.

IanP

• forum abuser
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro has great specs and is meant to be amazing value for £200, been getting great reviews. You can get better cameras on a phone but you'll need to spend some more money.

If you want to stretch the budget the pixel 4a has a great camera and a clean android install with none of the crap you get on other phones, plus you're guaranteed regular software updates for 3-4 years. Great battery life too.

Mobiles.co.uk have some very good contract deals with Vodafone on Pixels at the moment, I've just got a Pixel 5 with 18gb of data for total of £612 over 24 months, which compares very well with a price of £529 for sim free phone. 

kelvin

• forum hero
Had a Moto g5 for a few years which has been fine. Camera is rubbish though and I only seem to take pics with my phone these days so looking for a decent camera.

Had a look at the following

Moto 8 & 9 range
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9T
Realme 3 Pro

Got a cheap sim deal which i’m happy with so would prefer to buy rather than get a contract.
Any recommendations for something preferably under £200?

I've just stopped using. Moto G4 plus and moved to the Moto G 5g.
I think it's on offer for £229 at the moment and I have to say, I think the extra is worth it for the latest Android experience. It's all about the swipes and it works well. Massively quick compared to my old phone.
The camera is okay, it picks up 5g seamlessly when it's there (which isn't often yet, and I've no complaints.

Simon W

• menacing presence
Thanks for the input, a couple had popped up during my search and also a couple of new contenders  :2thumbsup:

Anyone got anything from the Moto g8 or 9 range who can comment on the camera?

crzylgs

• stalker
Am also in the market for a new mobile - I've actually been phone-less for a while now through choice and really loving the less time spent looking at a small screen - however with lockdown easing I'm sadly going to need one again!

The Pixel 3a is on my short list, and that currys link is a decent price that from when I last looked. For about 5+ phones in a row I've been team Google with their Nexus offerings and have run them all into the ground so can't fault them.

I am tempted by some of the Moto offerings (have bought these from parents and they are still functioning well!) BUT they (all?) seem to lack dust/waterproof standards in their specifications? This may be due to the fact that they have expandable SD card storage etc? Which would be ace but being fairly 'outdoorsey' the lack of such a feature is a big no-no for me.

So whoever the original poster was... Simon W (?) water/dust-proofing might be a feature you all want to check the small print for.

IanP

• forum abuser
Am also in the market for a new mobile - I've actually been phone-less for a while now through choice and really loving the less time spent looking at a small screen - however with lockdown easing I'm sadly going to need one again!

The Pixel 3a is on my short list, and that currys link is a decent price that from when I last looked. For about 5+ phones in a row I've been team Google with their Nexus offerings and have run them all into the ground so can't fault them.

The 4a is available for £299 and I would think definitely worth the extra £50 over the 3a (though as ever with this sort of things there's always a reason to spend a few more £s).  Unfortunately neither have waterproof ratings or support wireless charging, part of the reason I pushed the budget to a 5. 

Definitely liking the phone, nice size, good performance, screen and camera, latest android is very clean and usable.

Simon W

• menacing presence
Thanks again all.

Just bought a Moto g 5G plus for £199. Realised that my g5 is now 4 years old. It’s been battered over that period and still working so decided to stay with Motorola.

I don’t think the one I’m getting will have an amazing camera but am sure smart phone camera tech will have moved on a shed load since the g5 came out so hoping it will feel like a significant upgrade for me.

kelvin

• forum hero
Thanks again all.

Just bought a Moto g 5G plus for £199. Realised that my g5 is now 4 years old. It’s been battered over that period and still working so decided to stay with Motorola.

I don’t think the one I’m getting will have an amazing camera but am sure smart phone camera tech will have moved on a shed load since the g5 came out so hoping it will feel like a significant upgrade for me.

That's a great price - I paid £50 more a while back. I've also added a 64g memory card as Android 10 uses way more space.
The camera is better than expected once you've learnt your way around it, it's the least intuitive part of the phone programming  but I'm happy to use it for most of my photo taking. It's a massive step up from my G4.

SamT

• forum hero

Mobiles.co.uk have some very good contract deals with Vodafone on Pixels at the moment, I've just got a Pixel 5 with 18gb of data for total of £612 over 24 months, which compares very well with a price of £529 for sim free phone.

Cheers for the heads up on that... pretty much spot on for what I was wanting.  New Pixel 5 arrives tomorrow  :2thumbsup:

Simon W

• menacing presence
Cheers Kelvin and thanks for the tip!

IanP

• forum abuser

Cheers for the heads up on that... pretty much spot on for what I was wanting.  New Pixel 5 arrives tomorrow  :2thumbsup:

No prob, glad you could take advantage, it's a good phone and seems like a really good deal.

crzylgs

• stalker
Was doing a bit more browsing for Phone deals and found this:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/realme-5-pro-4128-ps99-8gb128-ps109-3698914

https://buy.realme.com/uk/goods/119

I have never owned a phone by that brand before, no idea exactly how much (if much?) messing they have done to the Android OS but it looks like exceptional value for the hardware :O

I might have to try it out. If I hate it figure I could probably resell for roughly break even and get a Pixel / Moto or whatever. If anyone else is tempted definitely go for the 8gb version for £10 more.

Paul B

• forum hero
I've had an honor 10 lite for my latest phone. However, I've just ended its life by fumbling it into my pocket as I ending up effectively throwing it at the floor. It's been great and until tonight I wasn't thinking I'd need to change any time soon.

Recommendations for a similar replacement please? I was looking at the 20 lite and the Huawei P40 lite but do these have issues using Google services these days?

a13c

• regular
I got a pixel 4a a few weeks back and I'm really pleased with it. Great camera and very intuitive to use. The size was a big factor for me, i had Moto G5s plus previously and every phone (except apple) on my £200 ish budget was bigger and heavier. I didn't want one of the Chinese ones as I gather they fell out with android or something... The pixel 4a also had a headphone jack which a lot don't seem to bother with now.
I got the pixel off the Google store for £12.88 a month and as long as I don't break it (in the next 24 months) I'm happy!

SamT

• forum hero

No prob, glad you could take advantage, it's a good phone and seems like a really good deal.

Happy with the Pixel 5 so far.  Lack of headphone jack flummoxed me initially, until I realised (well, someone younger than me pointed out) you just just use the USB C port, with an adapter available from ebay for piss all.

Paul B

• forum hero
I think I'm verging on choosing either:
https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_gb/nokia-5-4

which seems 'robust' but not all that highly spec'd. or:

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_10t_lite_5g-10480.php

Xiamoi seem to get quite good reviews and still seem to have Google services. The phone is just about hanging on in there but I can't see it surviving the weekend.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
I have a Xiaomi 9t phone and really like it. Quick enough, great AMOLED screen and semi regular android updates/security patches (considerably better than several other big brands i have owned before...) Currently they seem to be the best value on the market in terms of specifications, just pick which model suits your requirements (AMOLED or LCD, 120Hz screen or not, fast chip or mid range, 5G or not, headphone jack or just USB C, etc) - this seems to be the most difficult part of buying a Xiaomi with lots of models that have seemingly similar specifications.

It should also be noted that Xiaomi have also been removed from the US trade blacklist so should be no issues with Google services or using Snapdragon chips moving forward unlike with Huawei. (https://9to5google.com/2021/05/26/xiaomi-set-to-be-removed-from-us-trade-blacklist/)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal