UKBouldering.com

Mobile phone recommendations please... (Read 166507 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Any tips on a smartphone, never had one before...

Reasons are my phone is old and shit and I could upgrade at little cost. In many ways I would prefer to go back to a tiny Nokia that just does calls and texts but has a battery that lasts a week, but that doesn't seem like an option...

So my main want would be a decent map function - ie usable as a GPS in the car.
Plus the ability to run the photographers ephemeris which restricts it to Android or Apple OS. That's about it, plus access to twitter and basic internet. Doesn't need a good camera, I have several. A battery that lasts three days of moderate use (a few texts, a bit of internet, 10 mins of calls).

Let me reiterate I don't like big phones. Smaller the better.

HTC desire seems fairly small and android, any experiences or suggestions?

Ps what's a reasonable data limit? 100Mb sounds like fuck all...

tomtom

• forum hero
If you like Apple/mac stuff I'd get an iFern... 4 is fine, I dont think the 4s is worth the difference.

Otherwise theres loads (too much?) of Android choice... Theres a few £100 andriod handsets now on PAYG which may be worth a look...

The problem with small smartphones is that with a small phone it can be hard to do stuff on a small screen. That said the 4" and larger screens that seem to be proliferating make the form factor too large for me...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
If you want to use GPS then I'd recommend considering buying one of the multitude of applications such as TomTom, SygIC or such like.  Google Maps works great....when you have a signal.  You can download routes prior to setting off, but that can be a ball ache and if you get lost in an area out of signal then you're out of luck.

Theres an approximate relationship between the size of a phone and its power in terms of CPU/RAM/internal storage, so you may find that if you go for a smaller phone you hit some limits (wife has HTC Wildfire and has trouble fitting more applications on at present, in contrast to the all-singing-all-dancy S2 which has 2Gb of space for applications).

Not used a Desire myself, but they're nice phones if a little dated (neighbor had one).  That said in terms of dimensions its 119 mm H x 60 mm W x 11.9 mm D and for the sake of 6mm in either direction I'd say the S2 trumps it hands down (125.3 mm H x 66.1 mm W x 8.49 mm).  I personally wouldn't want anything much bigger than an S2 for the simple reason that my thumb isn't long enough to reach the opposite side of the phone when using it (typing with Swype can all be done with one thumb cradling the phone in your hand).  I'd get your mits on mates and see how they feel or pop into a shop to assess this really.

Desire will be relatively cheap as its a bit older though, so that may be a bonus, especially if buying outright (don't think there is much that could tempt me back onto a contract these days).  Although perhaps consider the Desire S which has a bit more RAM (768Mb vs 576Mb) and internal storage (1.1Gb vs 512Mb).

You could potentially get three days usage of one charge if you only turn on 3g connectivity (internet and everything associated with it) when you need it.  I've turned this off when abroad and get ok battery life, but it can be handy or as easy to simply carry a spare battery (and use an in-car charger to bump up juice if needs be).

100Mb for the usage you are proposing is probably not too bad, but you can get fairly good deals with more.  Not so good now, but I've 300mins (any network), 3000txts (any network) & 1Gb of data a month for £10 on sim only (at the time I went in store and was lucky that they had a bonus 3000mins to other 3 users, got missus and brother the same deal even though it had ended when I went in with them to sign up).

Not much in the way of suggestions there really* other than the Galaxy S2 for no other reason than its one of the best phones out, not much bigger than the Desire you've mentioned, and likely to drop in price due to the new S3 being released.

* Most people will recommend what they have as I've done as  few try multiple phones I guess.

tomtom

• forum hero
Forgot battery life: I get 3 days out of my iFern4 quite regularly btw.. but the more often you light up its nice shiny screen to play on it, the less the battery lasts.. problem is you want to use it! Me & MrsTT both have them so there are a range of car/house/built into radio chargers lying around etc...
I've had over 5 days when its just sat on a bedside table (when roaming) just being used as a glorified alarm clock..

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Cheers for the advice chaps. That's good to know batteries will last with light use, I regularly go days with very little use.

Bit undecided on Iphones. I have a mac laptop and like the hardware a lot more than the software/ do-what-we-say-not-what-you-want philosophy. And its dear... would be through the business but still seems a lot.

Having thought a bit more a decent personal organiser would be a massive boon too. Played with iProcrastinate on the laptop but something similar on a phone would be fantastic.

tomtom

• forum hero
Both android and iOS will sync their calenders with Gmail calendar and Outlook - which is what I use to organise my life! Which is now syncronised across ipad, 2 pcs and the phone!

Heres another wildcard option -I use iphoto on the iPad and its ace (and I guess you do alot of photography shizzle - sorry if that sounds very uninformed).. Have you considered getting an iPad and a cheap and normal phone phone? (e.g. not a smart phone).. that might be more useful.. Alot of pro photographers seem to use the iPad (from the 'whats in your bag articles I read..)... If its on the company....

fried

• forum hero
My new Galaxy note arrived yesterday and ....I'm in love. :wub:

Lopez

• stalker

A battery that lasts three days of moderate use (a few texts, a bit of internet, 10 mins of calls).

I don't like big phones. Smaller the better.

Pretty much the same here, so after some time reading around i now have one of these in the post http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/sony-ericsson-xperia-ray-1028477/review

If the blurb there is right it should be a sweet phone, i.e. not a brick that you need a rucksack to carry around along with a load of extra batteries and chargers in order to be able to use it for a full day, although the smallish screen may not be the best for SatNav use. Good prices around too. (£160ca)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Second the google calendar syncing, especially if others USSR it and share calendars with you, very handy.

Though I'd mention a couple of other Samsung phones, the Ace & A, which are slight smaller versions of the S2.

Are you planning on buying outright our contract if buying through personal business?

fried

• forum hero

A battery that lasts three days of moderate use (a few texts, a bit of internet, 10 mins of calls).

I don't like big phones. Smaller the better.

I had a HTC HD mini (which must be the worst phone ever made) I was convinced that small was good, but being able to use my phone as a Kindle without straining my eyes is fantastic ditto for watching videos.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Cheers chaps, all useful

Have you considered getting an iPad and a cheap and normal phone phone? (e.g. not a smart phone)

Not really, no - I've got a Macbook and a normal phone. An Ipad wouldn't replace either, nor have I any idea what I'd use one for... never use iphoto on the mac.

after some time reading around i now have one of these in the post http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/sony-ericsson-xperia-ray-1028477/review

Nice one, that looks interesting. Have had a few Sony devices in the past and liked them.

Galaxy note looks enormous, no thanks! Not likely to watch many videos or ebooks on it.

Will look into google calendar, currently we just use an excel one in a shared dropbox folder. Was looking for something a bit more powerful. (Whilst on the subject, does dropbox on a phone sync everything? Or just browse the folders?)

Will probably be on a contract. Suggestions welcome, £25 a month, ish? Been on orange for years due to rural coverage.

dave

When a smartphone is new you might get 3 days of battery, especially if you don't use it or basically deactivate all data. After that, not a prayer. Not really a problem though assuming you stick it on charge every night. My motorola is now 18months old and I'm always charging it now, but then I do hammer it.

As for phone choice, if you're on a contract and want to pay say 15 sheets a month then get a cheap android, if you want a 30-40nicker contract or pay a few hundred bananas up front you could get an iphone but they are not small. Its all good if you stick with a decent brand. I've been generally happy with my motorola defy, shortie got a samsun apollo which is ok but noticably lower res screen -ditto for my mum's htc.

tomtom

• forum hero
When a smartphone is new you might get 3 days of battery, especially if you don't use it or basically deactivate all data. After that, not a prayer. Not really a problem though assuming you stick it on charge every night. My motorola is now 18months old and I'm always charging it now, but then I do hammer it.

Im finding my Iferns still as good as when new.. 2 yrs old now..

You pays yer money.... ;)

dave

Luckily i can get 4 years of contract on a decent android phone (same as I paid for a stock nokia back in 2001) for less than what I would have paid for 2years with an iphone, and i can get a new android blower half way through. As you say, you pays your money...

rodma

• forum hero
As you say, you pays your money...

Plus you can watch just about any video format, transfer files (pdf topos anyone) at free will, insert additional memory cards, etc.

tomtom

• forum hero
You fanbois didnt seem to notice my ;)

;)

rodma

• forum hero
Oops, looking at the forums when too tired again  :spank:

psychomansam

• forum hero
Unless money is no consideration at all, you should go android.

Contract deals are basically always more expensive than buying a mid-range android phone on a good deal and getting a sim only contract.

I wanted a mid-range android. My wildfire had been good at first, but was a bit slow n shit and started crashing and couldn't run some apps etc cos of lack of processor power. Like you, I didn't want something big though. It has to be able to fit in the back pocket of my running shorts for a start (to GPS map my runs for me).

I got this http://www.expansys.com/allreviews.aspx?i=205669 and paid roughly this http://www.electronicshop2.com/acer-liquid-metal-sim-free-smartphone-23418.html (unknown site) for it. Great phone if you can be bothered to hack the shitty firmware. I haven't as yet, so it's currently a half-decent phone, but blows the wildfire2 out the water.

hotukdeals.com is generally the best place to look for phone deals. A quick search for  reveals:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/t-mobile-rapport-android-phone-29-99-instore-asda-1234230 a budget android smartphone for £30!

bigger:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sony-ericsson-xperia-arc-android-2-3-200-mins-200-texts-1gb-12-a-month-x-24-288-1212474#comments

etc..

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
If you're getting a business account DM underground who can probably refer you to T-mobile (who share the Orange network & vice-versa), should be able to get a a decent deal via referral.

AB

• regular
I've been thinking about getting new phone too, best deal i've found is htc one x for 40 quid and 20.50 per month, package has 500mb each month and 100 minutes, http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_contract_details.asp?ItemKey=592516&intcid=prism_One_X_Black

lukeh

• addict
HTC desire seems fairly small and android, any experiences or suggestions?

I'm just about to upgrade from a desire after having it for two years.

My thoughts on it:

If you want to use it as a smart phone you'll not get 3 days out of it. Spare batterys are cheap, but its annoying having to remember to charge them up. Whatever phone you get will have similar trade offs though. Screens use juice.

Its also very old in the smart phone world now, which particularly shows in its internal memory storage. Apps seem to be getting bigger and bigger, and the desire has a small internal storage which some apps insist on being stored in, so desipte having a big memory card in mine I'm always struggling for space. I think this was fixed in the next desire upgrade, the desire hd or somthing?

However good build quality and has stood upto alot more than all the iphone I've seen with their shattered screens  ;)

Overall, was good but now past it.

I'm moving onto the s3, but figure that'll be overkill for you... so sadly no actual suggestions.

Also, £25 a month'll be a lot if you end up on a mid range phone, consider all the options as a price over the length of the contract!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Three store in Sheffield city centre today had a sign offering had the Samsung Galaxy S2 for £25/month (£20 up front) 500 minutes, 5000 text and all you can eat data, not sure how long the contract is though.

tomtom

• forum hero
<troll>

Considered a Windows phone? ;)

</troll>

More seriously, I know you said you were with Orange, but had a look at other nets? I'm with GiffGaff (piggy back O2 - like tesco mobile) - who are £10 a month... works out really well if you buy the handset upfront.. always loads of deals from expansys etc..

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
The only app I'm really bothered about isn't supported on Windows, so no.

Keeping an eye on other networks, yes. The main reason I'm still on Orange is that the sim is still registered under my brother-in-law's name from when he gave it me in 2001. I did lose a phone a few years ago and had to pretend to be him to get a new one (back when everyone's birthdays - the only id check - were on facebook!) but needs sorting really...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
I would seriously consider getting a sim only contract and buying a second hand phone off ebay. Its what I've done for a while now, obviously bit of a gamble buying a second hand phone but I've been lucky up to now

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal