technical > computers, technology and the internet

Mobile phone recommendations please...

(1/128) > >>

Obi-Wan is lost...:
It's that time again, looking to upgrade my mobile. Any particular models people recommend? Or ones to avoid?
I would quite like a 'smart' phone, Symbian/WM etc, not that I particularly need it but I do like the toys.  :-[ But also interested in 'normal' phones also. What is the verdict on the Nokia N Series?

Fatboy:
I find the Blackberry Pearl a SHWEEEEET piece of kit I have to say!!
I have a lot of love the SonyEricsson kit too!

I'm not sure about Nokia as I have never used them...

unclesomebody:
The n95 8GB is an immense phone but it lacks one major thing that you need to decide if you want or not, a touchscreen. You can divide up the smart phones by touchscreen or non touchscreen. Non touchscreen you have all the nokia devices (excluding the E90) and some WM devices. The Nokia smart phones are very capable phones but once again don't have the developer army behind them. I would stay away from non touchscreen windows devices as they have less developing going on. Then you have the touchscreen devices, namely Sony Ericsson or more WM options. I've had both and there are pro's and con's to both. Symbian is nice, it works well, but it's ultimately simple. WM has a massive following and an unbelievable amount of developers. This means you can just about do anything on a WM smartphone. I had a TYTN II for a while which is an immense phone, but was slightly too thick to warrant keeping so I switched back to my SE P1i which I think is a great device. You should also decide whether you want a qwerty keyboard. I do use it all the time and think it's pretty mega for input (but it did take a week or two to adjust).

Check out XDA Developers for a taste of what you can do with an WM device. I think my next phone is going to be an HTC Touch Cruise (or relabelled as the XDA Orbit 2). Should be out in a month or so...

Now that I've been using smart phones for 5/6 years I would never go back. Things like being able to make VOIP calls from anywhere is attractive and having sat nav is useful especially with something like google maps where you can see live traffic updates. Good luck in the search!

cofe:
N73 is shit. it's slower than most 80s computers.

Obi-Wan is lost...:
We've been looking at the Touch 'Tom' Cruise for a GPS project at work. I'd love one for my own phone but considering how much i use my phone for calls I suspect they will want £100's for the handset.  :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version