UKBouldering.com

Online gaming, got issues & I'm desperate (Read 8997 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Online gaming, got issues & I'm desperate
January 13, 2008, 11:50:27 am
Rightho peeps,

I need some help here....
 :please:

I've just got a PS3. It's my first online gaming machine. It's ace!  :great:

BUT.

Cant get the headset to work  :(

Now, I've read the destructions.... dont understand a damn word, or even if it's relevant to my plight TBO.

Here they are:

(i've got the ps3 wirelessly connected to a belkin 54g router, which I have no desire to fuck about with... but it looks like i have no choice)

" Network configuration for online game

If you use a network gateway (as a router) to access the internet you might need to configure it. Here are some instructions that should work with most mainstraeam routers.

1. Forward ports 3074 for UCP and TCP and port 2346 for UDP

2. Turn off DHCP on your router.

- on the ps3, choose a static IP address and network submask supported by your router

Example: IP: 192.168.0.101 Submask 255.255.255.0. Enter your router's IP as the default Router

WARNING: if you have any other pieces of equipment connected to you network gateway, you will have to configure them to use static IP as well"

WTF is that lot all about??????????????

Thing is, the internet games work, the headset works on test, i've turned off all the other computers to maintain bandwidth, and i've got no headset action.

I dont even know if i've got a network in the first place!!

Can anyone shed some light?

thanks.

underground

• forum hero
Jon,

As far as the port forwarding goes, try www.portforward.com - choose the routers section and find your model - you'll have to access the config menu for the router and follow the guide on the site.....

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
OK....

gulp!!

Do you reckon that's why i have no headset then?

And, what do i do with my Wii(wifi to net), ibook (wifi to net), mimimac (ditto) and imac (ethernet to router)??

double gulp!!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Ok it sounds like you have a wireless router.  This may be incorporated into your modem (in which case you have one box where the internet cable comes into the house and your imac plugs into it, everything else connects wirelessly), or you may have a modem  and a separate router (where the internet cable comes into the house and plugs into your modem, this is then connected to your router, which has your imac plugged into it).

Common manufacturers of routers include Linksys, Belkin, D-Link, US Robotics etc. but they always have a page where you can configure the router.  Generally this tends to be http://192.168.1.1/ or http://192.168.0.1/  (if you have the manual, then check in there, it will tell you what the default is, if you don't have that then go to the manufacturer's web-site and find the instructions which will give you this information).  So to configure your page, point your browser to these URL for the router.  You'll then be able to setup portforwarding, although how you do this will depend very much on the router you have, as the configuration pages differ between manufacturers. 

TCP and UDP are two of the network protocols used for transmitting data, you should be able to choose which port is forwarded for which protocol.

Depending on your router, you may have a problem with setting static IP address'.  An IP address is a number that identifies a connected 'computer' on a network.  My Linksys, by default only had DHCP to assign IP address's dynamically, the first thing to connect gets 192.168.1.101, the second 192.168.1.102 and so forth.  I had to upgrade the firmware on my router using a third party modification that vastly improves its functionality.

However, because you can already connect, I don't think any of this is relevant, since you are connecting and can do the gaming, the sound problem is more likely to be something to do with the hardware, or the bluetooth (which is how I believe the headsets on PS3's communicate with the box).  Check that these are working (borrow a friends if you can and see if they work on yours).

slack

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
thanks guys!!

after scaring the shit out of me there Slack I'll go with your last paragraph!!

the headset is  a  wired usb Ps2 one (from my socom days) I'll wedge out for the *modern* one asap, and try out some other games...

it's all a bit mad this computing world. If I do have to reconfigure it all (which I have to say is about as appealling as going out on the girt today  :'() what are the implications for the rest of my stuff? It is a wireless router with the imac directly connected by ethernet.

God, I really hope that I just need a new sexy headset!!!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
i'm now at a total loss. the mad instructions  i posted above do indeed seem to refer to actually getting online.... as in my headset issue is not the reasoning for the farting about...

The ps3 recognises my headset fine, the test is fine. and i have no chat on either online game that i have.

i am stumped. i find it hard to believe that another headset will be the cure, as the ps3 seems to think all is fine and dandy with the one i've got!

i've been through all the menus, turned parenteral controls off, ensured the audio device settings are for the headset both input and output. I've only got 2mb bband, but i cant believe that too little for voice...

I'm a confused unhappy little bunny i can tell you.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
i've changed my mind.

from inference i think i need to do this port thingie   :'(

i'm scared!!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
i've changed my mind.

from inference i think i need to do this port thingie   :'(

i'm scared!!

You've verified that the headphone is working, do you have the same problem with all games, or just one in particular?

I really doubt that its got anything to do with the ports, but if you do want to check you need to find out the IP address that your router's configuration page will be and that'll be in the manual/online docs.

The implication of setting static IP address' is that you want to assign a static IP to your PS3, for example 192.168.1.101, but you have four other devices connecting to the router that get assigned IP's dynamically (i.e. the next sequential number for the last 'block' of digits, e.g. 192.168.1.102 then 192.168.1.103 then 192.168.1.103).  The problem you will have is that if you set the static IP for the PS3 to 192.168.1.101, but its turned off, then there is every chance that when you turn one of your other devices on it will get assigned this address, then when you turn on your PS3 the IP address it should be assigned won't be available.  This can be easily circumvented by specifiying the range of IP address's that can be assigned dynamically, in this instance you would set it to start at 192.168.1.102 instead of the default of 192.168.1.101, or alternatively as the instructions indicate, simply assigning all devices static IP address'

Opening ports is not a problem.  Its part of something called a firewall.  Think of a firewall as the outside wall of a castle.  Within the castle wall are various buildings (devices such as your iMac, ibook,iMac mini Wii and PS3).  In the wall there are windows (ports) with wooden shutters to stop arrows coming in, and you shooting arrows out.  Think of TCP and UDP as different types of windows, one square and one round (as they're just different protocols).  Each of these windows has a number (the port number).  If you want to shoot arrows out, and allow arrows to come back in then you need to open a window (port).  All internet traffic uses port 80, so your router will have this port open already.  Various other things use common default ports, for example telnet (a method of logging into a computer remotely) tends to use port 21 by default.  SSH (a more secure method of logging into a computer remotely) uses port 22.  The instructions you've typed below indicate that the PS3 wants certain windows (ports) to be forwarded, this simply means that your router allows these windows to be open and arrows passing through are directed to the specific building (the PS3 in this instance) within the castle walls.  But, as I said, it sounds as though you can already play games no problems, so these windows (ports) are already open.  I'd be very surprised if there is an individual port for sending data related to your movements within the game, and a separate port for sending sound.  The fact that there are separate ports for the different protocols is a little strange, but I expect that all data would pass through one or the other depending on which protocol is being used.

So, do you have an all-in-one modem/wireless router, or separate modem and router?

What brand and model of router do you have?

Do you have the manual for the router, or is it available online from the manufacturer's website?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Slack,

you are my knight in shining armour.

I dont have the manual for the router. whoops. i have an all in one belkin45g wireless router.

I has a total mare getting it work with my imac. needed a patch (after 45 mins on the phone to india call centres) which was interesting, as I has no internet connection to get it! So, I'm a bit pensive about fiddling with it. In fact, i've even forgotten how to get into it... i'll go have a look now.

I kinda understand what it's all about now..

BTW, i've tried 2 games (different servers) and the same. I get the feeling it's some wierd multiport scenario, with dedicated voice ports? I do know that voice is the first to go if the servers get too busy, maybe that's the way the games are kept functional in times of great demand? By segregating the voice bit?? :shrug:

Once I've got into the router config I'll probably bottle it and ask for more assistance!!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
OK

I found the network preferences,

and i'm concerned, cos I cant find a list af attached devices - so i dont know what do with this static vs dynamic business on my system.  And the numbers are all different :'(

Here's what seems to be the most relevant

my IPv4 is using DHCP

the router is 192.168.2.1 (that's the DNS server), but the IPv4 is 192.168.21 and I'm configured toIPv6 automatically  :'( :'( the IP address is different again.. i dont if that's something secure - so i've not typed it on here.

Just to really ruin the day for me: I cant find the word port anywhere!! nevermind change them!!
 I've found an ethernet ID, but it doesnt mention ports...

bollox.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

The voice channels might be on a seperate port - i think xbox live used to do this. Is a ps2 headset definitely compatible with the ps3?

I t think the Belkin control panel calls port forwarding something else - might be DMZ? I used to have a Belkin router and i'm pretty sure you could allocate one network device to be in the DMZ (de militarized zone) - that means it's not firewalled at all. A bit unsafe for a computer but fine for a console.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
ps2 headset defo compatible.

can i find the manual for a

belkin  modem f5d7632-4

can i fuck..

bubs, after spending the best part of the weekend trying to sort this out I am now sure the voice element is on a separate port.. how else could i play but not use the headset???

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
OK

I found the network preferences,

and i'm concerned, cos I cant find a list af attached devices - so i dont know what do with this static vs dynamic business on my system.  And the numbers are all different :'(

Here's what seems to be the most relevant

my IPv4 is using DHCP

the router is 192.168.2.1 (that's the DNS server), but the IPv4 is 192.168.21 and I'm configured toIPv6 automatically  :'( :'( the IP address is different again.. i dont if that's something secure - so i've not typed it on here.

Just to really ruin the day for me: I cant find the word port anywhere!! nevermind change them!!
 I've found an ethernet ID, but it doesnt mention ports...

bollox.

Okay, with regards to IPv4/IPv6 these too are different networking protocols.  The TCP/UDP are what are known as "upper layer" protocols that then sit ontop of whichever IPv4 or IPv6 protocol you happen to be using.  But, you don't need to worry about this.  You've got things running (to an extent  :P), and your router/hardware will use whichever it can automagically.

Your router is 192.168.2.1 (as seems to be the default from the belkin manuals I had a quick peek at, see below).  DNS stands for Domain Name Server, and its what resolves a URL (e.g. ukbouldering.com) into the numeric IP address that it actually represents (i.e. 209.135.140.14 for ukbouldering.com).  Your router itself isn't a DNS, but it needs to know the IP address of a server that is, so that when you type in a URL in your browser, or click a link it will use this to resolve the IP address.  Anyway, again this doesn't matter, its just for information, as your modem/router will obtain the IP address of a DNS server automatically from your ISP (Internet Service Provider) when it connects to the internet (at least thats how my linksys is configured).

The "IPv4 is 192.168.21" is a little confusing since IP address' are always made up of four blocks of numbers.  What you do have is something called a 'subnet mask' for networks, and these are specified by something like 255.255.255.0 which basically means that the first three sets of numbers for the IP address' are invariant, and that it is the last set of numbers that identifies individual items on the network.

When you say "the IP address is different again" what you've probably found out is the IP address that your ISP has assigned to you.  Your router will have (a minimum of) two network interfaces, one for receiving data from your ISP, and one for doing your home network.  If my guess is correct, then if you go to www.whatismyipaddress.com I reckon it will tell you that your IP address matches the one that you've chosen not to post.  There's nothing inherently dangerous about letting people know what this is (ukbouldering.com logs it every time you post), but its not needed to get things sorted in this instance.

Now you don't have the manual, but these are usually available from manufacturers and help explain all the config pages.

What specific router do you have?  Is it the one of these (I would guess not as it indicates 11Mbps and if you've got a 'g' wireless router this should go to 54Mbps), or is it one of these (is a 'g' wireless router, but not too clear if you plug your cable modem/ADSL straight in)?  Either way, if you can find it through the top menu system you can then get at the manual.

I've had a look at this manual and page 42 shows the web-based configuration.  I'm guessing yours isn't similar, if it were, you could click on "DHCP client" list and see which items are connected.  Note they probably won't be anything familiar, each piece of networking hardware has something called a MAC address which uniquely identifies it, you'll likely see a list of MAC address' and corresponding IP address'.

I've only really experience with Linksys routers, so I'm not familiar with how the config pages are setup for Belkin I'm afraid.  I found this forum specifically for belkin users but there doesn't appear to be much activity (although perhaps the more generic forums might be of more use).

Are there any Sony user support forums that you or anyone else knows of?  I found www.psu.com which has a Forum section, so there may be someone there who has had the same problem.

Without physically having a look at things I'm not sure if there is much else I can help with.  See if you can find the manual, you should be able to find the list of connected items somewhere, and likewise settings for port forwarding should be somewhere (they may be listed under Firewall).

Sorry I couldn't help any more,

slack

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
ps2 headset defo compatible.

can i find the manual for a

belkin  modem f5d7632-4

can i fuck..

It's here  ;D

bubs, after spending the best part of the weekend trying to sort this out I am now sure the voice element is on a separate port.. how else could i play but not use the headset???

I've nt got a PS3, but have played round a friends on some shit-hot FPS game.  My friend simply didn't bother using the headphone half the time and could play fine, but this may be different if the game actually requires communication.  It might have helped in this one as it was team-play capture the flag style stuff, but it wasn't absolutely necessary.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Download the manual and check out p52 - put the PS3 in the DMZ (it's safe, don't worry) and you should have no port problems. You could also forward the ports individually (it's also in the manual) but it's a bit more fiddly.

You just need to know the local IP of the PS3.

On my router i map each attached device to a certain IP using it's MAC address. If you don't do that then the router can randomly allocate local IPs which means you may have to set it up each time you want to play online.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

90 mins of Bubba  telephone assistance & it still no work

opened more ports than you could shake a stick at

the DMZ didnt work either.. might try it again. i've not static IPed the ps3, surely if i can actually play the game then it's not relevent???

i'm off to find a sony forum  :(

many thanks for the help guys...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Aye, we're missing something obvious i think fella  :-\

Let us know what the problem was when you get it sorted :)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
one more possible combo:

in DMZ and the ports also formally opened. shouldnt make a difference, i'll try it later though.

went to look on net for more advice, the screen on my laptop instantly dies  :'( :'( :'(

un bloody believable  :(

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Good luck with it, DMZ for the PS3 should work as Bubba says, it simply forwards all ports for the specified advice.  If that doesn't solve it then I reckon digging deeper on the hardware front would be the next option (although it might be worth checking DMZ is working correctly by setting another device, e.g. one of your comps, and checking all ports are actually being forwarded correctly).

went to look on net for more advice, the screen on my laptop instantly dies  :'( :'( :'(

Sod's law!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
it's got worse...

no really. This tale of woe is getting ridiculous - i'm sure they'll be larfs about this, but not from me for a while i can tell you :(

thought i'd do it all proper with all the new knowledge i've got off here and the port site underground suggested.
soooo....

i got all the MAC numbers off my devices and slung em in the router config, thought i'd get it all secure then static IP the whole camoodul with the IP address for each device, then open every port to the ps3 i can find suggested for any game made by ubisoft... seemed like a good evidence based common sense approach to me

so MAC numbers in, I then applied changes...

the router hung..

so i unplugged it from the mains (got no on off switch)

now the router work no more, at all. it's fucked. cannt open the router config. but all the lights are on. imac says the ethernet is fine, but the server (aka the router) is not functional. suppose that could all be due some sort of power surge???? :shrug: no internet at all then, great.

bollox. :'(

i'm thinking of getting raped by apple and getting an airport extrme... i know they are well good with a 360.

i dont want another porting issue, so basically money isnt an option as long as it all bloody works easily, with little config. My experience with mac has been so good that the airport seems an option, though i have no idea whether its a ethernet thingie or totally wireless. quite frankly i dont care.

whats the collective opinion on how to get my network back with minimal hastle, before i fuckin expire..

just to rub some more salt into my open sores, the filters at work prevent me from accessing any ps3 game related forums / boards to try to get opinion form there.

not a good day...

I'll be forever in debt to those than can help or suggest, thanks.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Sounds as though you've 'bricked' your router.

There should be a recessed button on the back somewhere which when you press and hold for 6 seconds it will completely reset the router to the factory default settings (see page 60 of your manual).  This will likely get you back to where you were at the start (assuming that you hadn't done anything to change the config prior to the PS3 problems you've encountered, which sounds as though its the case).

I'd recommend linksys routers they're really good, and you can upgrade the firmware with third-party modified versions of the Linux distribution that they run to increase functionality (e.g. mine didn't have static IP address' with the firmware that came with the manufacturers, upgrading it added this functionality, along with lots else).  Not sure what they do in terms of a combined cable modem/wireless router as I use separate modem/router, but they are very good.

slack

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
cheers mate.

i'll get on it.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Oh my god - router hell :lol:

Yeah, do a full reset of the router and it should be working again.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
 :'(

god, i'm having a shite time.

will it do it again?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Once it's all set up ok it should't do it, but i restart my router every few days anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal