UKBouldering.com

ROOM 101 (Read 474384 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1425 Re: ROOM 101
May 29, 2010, 08:45:26 pm
Can I suggest Northern Rail, unmitigated Mick Ryanesque tardo.   FFS, you cunts just die.

I agree with the spelling thing though, despite my rubbish tuping and inability to proof read when drinking (see breathing) I fucking hate the utterly wank level of written English.

Whn I recruit my team they're all going to have to write something in longhand and any shite like loose instead of lose, or your instead of you're means  'no job sunshine'.

A late nomination.  Cunts handing out free newspapers who don't get the polite 'no thank you' I nearly had a fight with one cunt in Manchester the other morning when he stepped in front of me with a paper in hand, luckily a little handoff resolved the situation.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1426 Re: ROOM 101
May 30, 2010, 08:51:26 am
luckily a little handoff resolved the situation.

Try a shimmy next time, to wrongfoot him. Then drop your shoulder and pass him on the outside.

Sloper

• forum hero
#1427 Re: ROOM 101
May 30, 2010, 09:01:58 am
Followed by a hospital pass to the chugger who can knock on.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#1428 Re: ROOM 101
May 31, 2010, 08:47:21 am
Twats in planes in the row behind you who grab your headrest to haul their arses out of their seat. Use the arm rests to stand up you lazy fuckers as I don't like being woken up or (more importantly) having my wine split. Twats.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1429 Re: ROOM 101
May 31, 2010, 08:50:14 am
Twats in planes in the row behind you who grab your headrest to haul their arses out of their seat. Use the arm rests to stand up you lazy fuckers as I don't like being woken up or (more importantly) having my wine split. Twats.

Actually - this reminds me of an aircraft 101 - which is reclining seats. Just ban them. Are you ever more comforatble reclined than not? All they mean is hassle on take off and landing (beacuse some idots still reclined) and just as you're settled watching a film, eating, working whatever the cnut in front reclines their seat and all your room is lost. Pointless design.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1430 Re: ROOM 101
June 01, 2010, 06:54:40 am
Spelling - I mean the lack of proper rules for spelling words in the English language.

How can children be expected to develop a sense of right and wrong and respect for the rule of law when so many of the "rules" that they learn about one of our primary means of communication have so many exceptions? I blame this for the widespread attitude/belief that many people have which can be summed up as "it is wrong to X (insert act of wrongness here), unless I feel like it" and all the problems in today's society that result from such thinking. I mean look at this ridiculous legal system we have - all seems to be based around comparing situations to other situations and seeing if this one is exempt from the rules that apply to the others. Codify! I say.

Nowt wrong with grammar, that's proper rules that is.

Rules are not rules if they have exceptions.

Stupid spelling system into 101.

I've only just spotted this, and I feel compelled to reply.

I am of an age where children had the Initial Teaching Alphabet (ITA) imposed on them.

This was something which the "standardize the language" advocates, and their cohorts and acolytes in the "educationalist" wing of the teaching profession.

Something so wrong-headed as to be unbelievable, and had two [possibly even three?] consequences.

1. Children became illiterate, as a direct result of being transferred backwards and forwards between the two phonetic systems [and as a result created illiterate adults - in the sense they really couldn't read as a result of their experiences at school trying to deal with a dogmatic and inflexible system]

2. Children were not able to read books or newspapers - nothing was written in ITA - so the idea that reading for pleasure coulnd't take told - the only place to read was in school, where it was somewhere to learn.

(I'll accept it's not the same as applying a standard alphabet and pronunciation scheme, but then you run into the problems with regional accent and dfferences in pronunciation of words - and that's before we address the issues of dialect where regional accents go one step further and adopt their own vocabulary, syntax, and grammar.

An important part of schooling should also occur at home.

Its a shame not all parents take their responsibility in this area seriously.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#1431 Re: ROOM 101
June 01, 2010, 10:13:16 am
Potato wedges - these have never nor will ever be chip replacements, they are just the worst of all worlds. Why do eating establishments serve them? They do not turn your shitty pub into a gastro pub nor do they turn steak and ale pie dinner into a healthy option. Their near neighbour, chunky chips, boil my piss as well.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1432 Re: ROOM 101
June 01, 2010, 10:20:26 am
 :-\ Not sure about that, I agree with the sentiments about pubs serving and thinking they're somehow "special" for doing so, but you can't beat some homemade wedges for a quick and easy snack.  Coated with whatever seasoning you choose (personal preference is for a decent Cajun seasoning)  Simple to do and tasty to boot.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1433 Re: ROOM 101
June 01, 2010, 04:51:54 pm
:-\ Not sure about that, I agree with the sentiments about pubs serving and thinking they're somehow "special" for doing so, but you can't beat some homemade wedges for a quick and easy snack.  Coated with whatever seasoning you choose (personal preference is for a decent Cajun seasoning)  Simple to do and tasty to boot.

Wedges are great - parboil/microwave your spuds, shake em about in some cajun spices (or chilli & cumin) with a bit of olive oil and wack em in a hot oven for 20-25 min. Qwalidy...

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#1434 Re: ROOM 101
June 04, 2010, 11:01:46 am
Spelling - I mean the lack of proper rules for spelling words in the English language.

How can children be expected to develop a sense of right and wrong and respect for the rule of law when so many of the "rules" that they learn about one of our primary means of communication have so many exceptions? I blame this for the widespread attitude/belief that many people have which can be summed up as "it is wrong to X (insert act of wrongness here), unless I feel like it" and all the problems in today's society that result from such thinking. I mean look at this ridiculous legal system we have - all seems to be based around comparing situations to other situations and seeing if this one is exempt from the rules that apply to the others. Codify! I say.

Nowt wrong with grammar, that's proper rules that is.

Rules are not rules if they have exceptions.

Stupid spelling system into 101.

I've only just spotted this, and I feel compelled to reply.

I am of an age where children had the Initial Teaching Alphabet (ITA) imposed on them.

This was something which the "standardize the language" advocates, and their cohorts and acolytes in the "educationalist" wing of the teaching profession.

Something so wrong-headed as to be unbelievable, and had two [possibly even three?] consequences.

1. Children became illiterate, as a direct result of being transferred backwards and forwards between the two phonetic systems [and as a result created illiterate adults - in the sense they really couldn't read as a result of their experiences at school trying to deal with a dogmatic and inflexible system]

2. Children were not able to read books or newspapers - nothing was written in ITA - so the idea that reading for pleasure coulnd't take told - the only place to read was in school, where it was somewhere to learn.

(I'll accept it's not the same as applying a standard alphabet and pronunciation scheme, but then you run into the problems with regional accent and dfferences in pronunciation of words - and that's before we address the issues of dialect where regional accents go one step further and adopt their own vocabulary, syntax, and grammar.

An important part of schooling should also occur at home.

Its a shame not all parents take their responsibility in this area seriously.

I'll stand by my previous comments - ITA meant that this part of schooling - that of reading, and particularly reading for pleasure simply could not happen.

Books are published in English - not in ITA - and it meant that not only were books at home inaccessible, there was no opportunity for children to read more challenging texts the home might have had - they would simply be unable to understand them.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1435 Re: ROOM 101
June 04, 2010, 11:13:44 am
I'd put anyone who thinks languages have 'rules' ( eg 'doesn't count as a sentence if the subordinate clause comes before the main verb even if not directly interfering with play') into room 101.

Rules are just simplifications of phonetic behaviour. We teach the idea to schoolchildren and some undergraduates rather than letting them know life is more complicated.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1436 Re: ROOM 101
June 04, 2010, 11:30:09 am

I'll stand by my previous comments - ITA meant that this part of schooling - that of reading, and particularly reading for pleasure simply could not happen.

Books are published in English - not in ITA - and it meant that not only were books at home inaccessible, there was no opportunity for children to read more challenging texts the home might have had - they would simply be unable to understand them.

I've never heard of this ITA before so looked up what it is and found this description and this.  It just sounds like a way of learning through phonetics, which when learning english you have to learn anyway (there are after all phonetic pronunciations for each work in most dictionaries).

Does this mean you've never read a "Challenging"* book?

*"Challenging" is a relative term.  Personally I wouldn't find reading something like Dawkin's Selfish Gene challenging, but others might.  There are texts that I find challenging e.g. I've never got past the first page of the introduction of Conway's On Numbers and Games, but I will try to read challenging books (although I've since given up on On Numbers), because if I didn't do so I would never improve.  The attitude that you should be spoon fed everything by teachers (or even parents) is wrong, they are there to provide support around the basics and its down to individuals to use those basics in wider settings.  I may be on my own, but I always had my nose stuck in a book when I was younger, and if there was a word (or concept) I didn't understand I'd either look it up in a dictionary or ask my parents.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1437 Re: ROOM 101
June 14, 2010, 08:44:30 pm
Mick McCarthy, and while you're at it Brian fucking Moore. Why are the BBC wasting my license fee on these utterly dire commentators?  :shrug:

Just realised I can get 5 live commentary on the red button. Hallefuckinglula. Means I don't get HD, but I think it's worth it.  :-\

tomtom

• forum hero
#1438 Re: ROOM 101
June 14, 2010, 08:46:15 pm
Mick McCarthy, and while you're at it Brian fucking Moore. Why are the BBC wasting my license fee on these utterly dire commentators?  :shrug:

Just realised I can get 5 live commentary on the red button. Hallefuckinglula. Means I don't get HD, but I think it's worth it.  :-\

Sorry, but those two are perfect human specemins compared to Andy Townsend. He is a cock of the highest order....

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1439 Re: ROOM 101
June 14, 2010, 08:58:54 pm
Not football related, and honestly I do wonder if this behaviour is isolated purely in West Cumbria.....

People who smoke, in petrol stations. Really.

I was filling up the other day in sunny Maryport with the family sitting in the car, I watched as a fat cunt drove in and pulled up next to me. His fat cunt son got out the car and shuffled off to buy some cakes probably. I then watched this twat flick his lit cigarette out the window of his car, whilst pulled up on the middle of a forecourt. I promptly informed this gentleman that his behaviour was not the norm, and not something I cared for with ones family sitting in the car. He swore at me once challenged, waited for lard arse offspring to return with said cakes then wheel spun off. Unbelievable. I get lost for words when stuff like this happens, how can someone possibly be that idiotic?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1440 Re: ROOM 101
June 14, 2010, 09:17:07 pm
I'd put anyone who thinks languages have 'rules' ( eg 'doesn't count as a sentence if the subordinate clause comes before the main verb even if not directly interfering with play') into room 101.

Rules are just simplifications of phonetic behaviour. We teach the idea to schoolchildren and some undergraduates rather than letting them know life is more complicated.

Get in.
 :agree:

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#1441 Re: ROOM 101
June 14, 2010, 09:26:01 pm

Sorry, but those two are perfect human specemins compared to Andy Townsend. He is a cock of the highest order....

Can we not just put them all in there? Mick is just such a dour-faced negative cunt!  :furious:

nik at work

• forum hero
#1442 Re: ROOM 101
June 14, 2010, 09:45:56 pm
Not football related, and honestly I do wonder if this behaviour is isolated purely in West Cumbria.....

People who smoke, in petrol stations. Really.

I was filling up the other day in sunny Maryport with the family sitting in the car, I watched as a fat cunt drove in and pulled up next to me. His fat cunt son got out the car and shuffled off to buy some cakes probably. I then watched this twat flick his lit cigarette out the window of his car, whilst pulled up on the middle of a forecourt. I promptly informed this gentleman that his behaviour was not the norm, and not something I cared for with ones family sitting in the car. He swore at me once challenged, waited for lard arse offspring to return with said cakes then wheel spun off. Unbelievable. I get lost for words when stuff like this happens, how can someone possibly be that idiotic?
I am stunned that anyone could be that stupid.

Actually no I'm not, but still, fuck!!!

Sloper

• forum hero
#1443 Re: ROOM 101
June 14, 2010, 09:50:20 pm
I'm going to have to stand up for Brian Moore, other than his moments of one eyed idiocy (which we all suffer from and as a front row type, he's had a few bangs to the head so is allowed a few more) Brian Moore is grat value, he knows the game and calls it like he sees it.

Have I mentioned Northern Rail yet?  If not unmitigated cuntdom, poor fuckers that have to work on their trains, execpt for the RMT shop stewards who are rude cunts and they get all the abuse they deseve.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#1444 Re: ROOM 101
June 14, 2010, 10:26:20 pm
That's Brian Moore the football commentator Sloper not the slightly biased rugby commentator he happens to share a name with who has been thrown into Room 101.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#1445 Re: ROOM 101
June 14, 2010, 11:03:41 pm
No no, it's definitely the rugby one I'm talking about. Maybe it's just the accent? Don't get me wrong, most yorkshire folk i know are a great laugh.

They just don't enhance the game, which is their job. If I want to hear bilious ranting from idiots, i'd just sit in the terraces!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1446 Re: ROOM 101
June 15, 2010, 10:16:36 am
Brian Moore the football commentator was absolutely fucking useless but he's been dead for the best part of ten years so I think it would be a bit harsh to dig him up now and throw his decomposed corpse into Room 101.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#1447 Re: ROOM 101
June 15, 2010, 10:52:01 am
Brian Moore the football commentator was absolutely fucking useless but he's been dead for the best part of ten years so I think it would be a bit harsh to dig him up now and throw his decomposed corpse into Room 101.

Oh arse - some one will be telling me that Nelson Mandela has been released from prison next...   :-[

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1448 Re: ROOM 101
June 18, 2010, 10:34:50 am
James Corden. In you go fatty.

The cunt was already irritating me before he turned up on anything to do with the World Cup. FUCK OFF you're ruining it you unfunny shitbag!

Then just to prove what a total wanker he really is, the Patrick Stewart incident. If you've made your whole career out of "look at the funny fat bloke, aren't I fat.......and funny.....ha ha!" then it's a bit fucking rich to take offence when someone laughs at you for....er..... being a fat bloke.

True colours? Possibly but even if you're a nice bloke you aren't funny and you are on everything so get into Room 101 where you belong. You fat cunt.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#1449 Re: ROOM 101
June 18, 2010, 06:37:09 pm
hear hear!

While I'm in here I'd like to add people who feel the need to say 'lol' at the end of every sentence/post.

I've noticed it on more than one occasion today and feel the need to vent this irritation whilst stuck in work missing the England game  :thumbsdown:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal