UKBouldering.com

ROOM 101 (Read 475033 times)

dave

#1225 Re: ROOM 101
September 30, 2009, 09:52:20 am
saw some cunt driving a milkfloat up brocco bank yesteray AM whilst on the phone. I.e. he was on the phone not me. I assume there was a bomb on board and he couldn't drop below 5mph.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1226 Re: ROOM 101
September 30, 2009, 10:02:57 am
Hmmm, just got a phone call from PC Steve Whittingslow (?sp) who has contacted the driver of the van who has stated that they..

• Stopped (true)
  • Assisted me (bullshit, they didn't touch me or the bike, and as far as I remember didn't even ask if I was ok)
  • Claims I stated I was "allright" and they therefore drove off, if at all I will have said I was "allright" because I could get up and walk around and hadn't been crushed under the wheels of his van, despite the large graze I sustained.

I explained to PC Whittingslowe that they should have exchanged details, but he's trying to tell me that because no one was injured and the driver is stating that I had said I was "allright" there was no need to exchange details and he was fine to drive off, despite the fact that my bike clearly had a fucked wheel!!!

He's going to try contacting First Mainline to try and identify the driver of the 25A bus that witnessed and stopped (with door open, but didn't have the wit about me to go and ask him for contact details) as an independent witness, but that is irrelevant to the fact that this arsehole didn't wait around to exchange contact/insurance details!!!

That's aload of crap, he's trying to brush you off and not conduct an investigation.  I presume your statement confirms the damage to the bike etc.

If you don't get satisfacttion then ask to speak to his inspector.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1227 Re: ROOM 101
September 30, 2009, 10:08:03 am

That's aload of crap, he's trying to brush you off and not conduct an investigation.  I presume your statement confirms the damage to the bike etc.

Yep thats the impression I got.  Damage to bike was noted and I told PC Whittingslow that I had pictures of the damage to corroborate.

He says that the driver has acknowledged that an accident occurred, but because I was "allright" (i.e. walking and talking) the driver believed I was at fault and not him he is allowed to make the judgement that an exchange of details was not required and was right to drive off without doing so.

If you don't get satisfacttion then ask to speak to his inspector.

Thats my full intention, I'm sick of being brushed of by SYP (having had my car vandalised on the drive and my brothers shed broken into and vandalised whilst I was looking after it and it was waiting to be sold).  Bunch of useless  :wank:'s

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1228 Re: ROOM 101
September 30, 2009, 10:09:30 am
- people who can't be bothered to indicate when driving.

With you there brother  :)

- women in sheffield driving 4x4s blocking junctions while talking on the phone. if you spot one smoking AS WELL then claim a bonus point.

How about a taxi driver parked on a double yellow line opposite a t-junction smoking a fag and on the phone as witnessed yesterday on Glossop Road by the Royal Hallamshire Hospital.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1229 Re: ROOM 101
September 30, 2009, 10:10:26 am
Slackers that 72hr thing is bollocks. The parcel will probably be at the depot the next day in my experience.

dave

#1230 Re: ROOM 101
September 30, 2009, 10:19:05 am
best thing for parcels is get your shortie knocked up, that way there'll generally be someone in the crib to accept deliveries.

cofe

• forum hero
#1231 Re: ROOM 101
September 30, 2009, 10:25:17 am
so true   ;D

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1232 Re: ROOM 101
September 30, 2009, 10:26:00 am
Slackers that 72hr thing is bollocks. The parcel will probably be at the depot the next day in my experience.

Picked it up this morning on the way to work  :)

But why the fuck can't they be honest and more importantly organised about it (in the past I've been down the next day and parcels haven't been there).  I mean surely the posties return the post to the sorting office the same day, it can be that hard to then say either

a) "I tried delivering this at 11:24am when most normal people will be at work, I'll try delivering it tomorrow at a time when I can expect someone to be at home"

b) Leave a card saying "I've got a huge area to cover these days because Royal Mail are penny pinching bastards and have reduced the number of posties so drastically that I can't realisitically get round everywhere before people go to work, sorry.  But don't worry, I've returned the parcel to sorting office and you can pick it tomorrow."

best thing for parcels is get your shortie knocked up, that way there'll generally be someone in the crib to accept deliveries.

:-\ Nice idea, and this could well be happening in the future to me but I can see innumerable disadvantages to this strategy too.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1233 Re: ROOM 101
September 30, 2009, 10:31:35 am
It's only a temporary measure. They get mobile again quite quickly.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#1234 Re: ROOM 101
September 30, 2009, 11:15:04 am
Can't you get the package delivered to your place of work? If there is any doubt as to whether a delivery will fit through the letterbox (and Sod's Law dictates that I will not be in when the postie tries to make the delivery) it's what I do.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1235 Re: ROOM 101
September 30, 2009, 11:47:13 am
Can't you get the package delivered to your place of work? If there is any doubt as to whether a delivery will fit through the letterbox (and Sod's Law dictates that I will not be in when the postie tries to make the delivery) it's what I do.

Did that for everything else, forgot to for this one  :oops:  (Just waiting for the Motherboard to turn up today).

Principle still stands though (IMO).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1236 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 12:52:43 pm
Apologies to Adam Lincoln but can we put N Dubz, Tinchy Strider and all associated "urban" chav pop cunts in please.

Aside from the music (which is bad enough) Tulisa, the bird out of N Dubz, is quite possibly the most annoying person in Britain.

She's of Greek/Irish descent (apparently) but speaks in that awful "innit" style and goes on about having "attitude" and the like. The most recent outburst of bullshit I heard her spout included "only God can judge me". I wish he fucking would.

Just filthy, retarded chav scum of the lowest order, I can see why they're so popular. Whenever I hear her on the radio (which is all too often at the moment) it makes me want to break things and stab her in the eyes with them.

And Tinchy Strider, shouting crap over the top of "You're Not Alone" by Olive does not make a good record, it just ruins it:

Tinchy Stryder - You're Not Alone

You cock.

dave

#1237 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 01:00:46 pm
The most recent outburst of bullshit I heard her spout included "only God can judge me".

who the fuck does she think she is, tupac shakur?

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#1238 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 01:22:51 pm
 :agree:

And a new one.

Now this may cause some controversy with several members of this forum, but here goes:

Cyclists. Well not all of them, but the vast majority. Basically cyclists who don't adhere to the rules set out here

Point 59: Wear appropriate clothing. Why are less and less cyclists wearing helmets? Why do cyclists think black is a good colour? It's nigh on invisible.

Point 60: When it's dark, use lights. This is one thing which really pisses me off. I've nearly killed about 20 cyclists in Sheffield because they haven't got either front, rear, or either set of lights, or they've got them, but they're so dim it's impossible to see them until they're lay on the floor next to you!

Point 66: Not ride more than two abreast, or single file on narrow or busy roads, or round bends. Every Sunday morning, driving to work, I encounter at least 3 groups of cyclists ignoring this rule. I very nearly kill at least two of them.

Point 69: Traffic signals apply to you too! Why do all Sheffield cyclists ignore red lights? Seriously? Why? I'm sure they'd get pissed off if I ignored them in my massive killing machine!

And not really one of the points, but if there's a cycle lane, and it's away from the road, why would you bother staying on the road, you fucking retarded mentalist!

And I agree that not all drivers adhere to their set of rules but cyclists are much more prone to getting injured, or killed, so why don't they take all the precautions they can?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1239 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 01:27:16 pm
Sadly, a lot of those points ring true. And although it doesn't affect me where your brains end up if you do fall off, but please wear helmets.

While we are here, can I add in people who insist on walking 2 abreast (insert joke) on narrow pavements. I realise you are in love and have to hold hands or are joined at the hip or in the middle of the most important debate in the world, but does this mean I have to walk in the gutter to pass you?

dave

#1240 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 01:30:21 pm
ditto that bad cyclist rant. and cyclists who ride on the pavement. especially when there's a cycle lane there but they can't be arsed to cross the road to use it. there seems to be this thinking that cos a bike is light, doesn't have an engine, and doesn't pay road tax that somehow means the rules of the road don't apply.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1241 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 01:35:02 pm
I suspect some of my cycling habits put me firmly at the back of the room  :guilty:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1242 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 01:42:45 pm
 :agree:

Riding on pavements is out of order and the riding through red lights thing really pisses me off. It's particularly irritating when you slow down so as not to drive too close to a cyclist (esp one who's weaving about in the road), in doing so have to stop at a red light and then watch as the cunt sails straight through it. The same fucker has done this to me a few times at Attercliffe on the way to work. I think he's a copper which would explain a lot.

:furious:

Suppose it just goes to show that you get dickheads controlling all manner of vehicles.

I suspect some of my cycling habits put me firmly at the back of the room  :guilty:

:lol: I wrote that last sentence before you'd posted that.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1243 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 01:55:59 pm
Well regarding helmets it's really up to me whether I wear one or not - it's not affecting anybody else.

I ride the pavement all the time, mainly alongside busy roads filled with inconsiderate/blind car drivers. I don't compete for space on the pavement with pedestrians and if I'm likely to cause any issues I'll jump back onto the road. I don't see the problem really; you'd think car drivers would be glad those pesky cyclists were out of their way. If this country had decent cycle lanes then this wouldn't be an issue.

Red lights? This smacks of jealousy tbh. If there's a red-light and I can go through it safely (eg the other road/crossing/etc is empty) then I'll nip through. Fact of the matter is a) it doesn't affect you in your car and b) I can't get busted for it so why not? 

I'll agree with Drew on the lights issue though - if I'm cycling at night without lights I just use the pavement   ;D

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1244 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 01:57:25 pm
Apologies to Adam Lincoln but can we put N Dubz, Tinchy Strider and all associated "urban" chav pop cunts in please.....

You need to stop listening to daytime R1 (or other such poptastic stations) - it's by nature rage-inducing.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1245 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 02:07:11 pm
Agree with most of that Drew.

I shout at people who cycle through red lights whilst I'm sat there waiting, just 'cause they can see a little way ahead that its clear doesn't mean someones going to come hairing along and try jumping the lights and take you out on the way through.

I will occasionally ride on paths, but at a speed no faster than I can run. For example there is NO way I am cycling round Ponds Forge roundabout at rush hour, instead I'll go over the footbridges, then rather than continue on the paths join the tram track (steering clear of all trams of course!).  Note that the police and ambulance cyclists regularly cycle through the pedestrian area of this roundabout and up and down Fargate/Moor too.

Reminds me I must put the lights on my bike this evening before heading out climbing.

I feel naked without a helmet these days and will turn around and go home and get one (despite it invariably involving slogging back up the hill).

Not only do cyclists have to put up with shit from drivers though, but pedestrians seem oblivious to approaching cyclists too and will regularly be surprised to be shouted at when they blindly step out into the road.  I had one stupid little girl on her phone step out whilst chatting on her phone, slammed on the breaks and screeched to a halt, and she said "Sorry" gave her some  :furious: to which she replied "Well at least I said sorry"!!!  Saying sorry doesn't excuse your actions you dumb cow, next time you might not be so lucky.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1246 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 02:16:32 pm
Apologies to Adam Lincoln but can we put N Dubz, Tinchy Strider and all associated "urban" chav pop cunts in please.....

You need to stop listening to daytime R1 (or other such poptastic stations) - it's by nature rage-inducing.

You're right of course and if there were another option at work then I would. Unfortunately there isn't at present due to a number of circumstances. Anyhow, regardless of whether I hear them or not, these people still exist and their dogshit music is very popular. So can we put them in?
 :please:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1247 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 02:21:36 pm
Well regarding helmets it's really up to me whether I wear one or not - it's not affecting anybody else.

That's pretty much what I said?

However, knowing how bad some drivers are, and the fact that I actually think you are an Ok guy, I would prefer not to see your brains dashed out on a kerbstone. Seen it before and it is far from pretty.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1248 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 02:25:34 pm

I know Chris, was just re-iterating it. I do wear one most of the time, but not if I'm just off to the shop or whatever. I'm not convinced how useful open-face helmets are anyway and full-facers are too hot to wear for most things.

It's the guys who go round on massive quads with no helmets who really need to have a think.

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
#1249 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 03:48:23 pm
Saying sorry doesn't excuse your actions you dumb cow, next time you might not be so lucky.

Last time I looked, pedestrians weren't duty bound to give way to cyclists and some people go through life in a daze. Well done for being on the ball enough to save both of you from a bruise or two. But what were you expecting, a blowjob?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal