UKBouldering.com

One for the runners (Read 156290 times)

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#400 Re: One for the runners
April 28, 2016, 01:16:45 pm
I recently started monitoring HR whilst running and was really surprised to see that I was hitting around 90% max average HR, although didn't feel I was working that hard.

This seems unusually high for this duration of running (40min - 1hour). 

Does anyone else monitor HR and if so what sort to % max do you aim for - for general fitness and active rest between climbing days?
I track my HR on every run i do. My peak is about 194, though haven't hit that in a while. If I'm doing a general mid-week run just to get out on the hills, my HR will average around 165 and when pushing a bit harder on the hills, go up to mid-170's. I tend to feel absolutely fine at 165 and only start to feel like I working hard when over 170.

If I'm doing long races (2, 3 hours or more) I focus on keeping my HR at around 150 to 155. If I stick in that zone I can generally go for hours (done 6 hour races ok at that pace) so long as I keep fuelled up. Conversely, if i am doing a race which nice and short (think summer series races in the Peak) I can just about hang on for an hour in the upper 170's, but not for much longer.

If you want a look at some of the stats my Movescount page is here;

http://www.movescount.com/members/member269724-bigtuboflard

Lastly, I'd say its of course all very much relative, both in terms of max HR and how you feel on it, as I know other club runners who feel like they are about to implode at 150 but can do 3 hour marathons at 140ish HR pace.

roddersm

• stalker
#401 Re: One for the runners
April 28, 2016, 01:38:11 pm
My HR max is around 183 so I was averaging >160 BPM.

I guess for recovery keeping this a bit lower might be an idea but sounds like it's healthy enough to train at this intensity?

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#402 One for the runners
April 28, 2016, 06:51:51 pm
Yep no problem at all. You might feel a bit wiped out but so long as you're not hammering it every day I reckon you'll be fine.

Bizarrely I always know when I've pushed too hard as at the end of the run I can smell ammonia quite strongly. Something to do with breaking down something or other. Probably have to google it again now ...

Edit. Apparently I was dehydrated.

http://blog.walkjogrun.net/2015/09/08/why-do-i-smell-ammonia-after-a-run/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plattsy

• forum hero
#403 Re: One for the runners
April 28, 2016, 07:43:21 pm
@roddersm being able to maintain >87% of max heart rate for 40mins and not feel like you were working that hard suggests to me that your max heart maybe higher than you think.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#404 Re: One for the runners
May 24, 2016, 08:31:41 pm
I did 9k today - Froggatt bend to The Eagle Stone and back

this is the second run I have done in the last year and the furthest I have run since 2007

it made me very tired

I ran with my wife - which was nice - and was the whole point of going out

Plattsy

• forum hero
#405 Re: One for the runners
May 24, 2016, 08:49:17 pm
Cool, have a [Wad] point Lagers.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:57:59 pm by Plattsy »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#406 Re: One for the runners
May 25, 2016, 10:47:16 am
struggling to walk this morning, but the ankle didn't wake me up in the night

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#407 Re: One for the runners
May 25, 2016, 10:57:51 am
I'm meant to be doing a SUPathlon in August; 750m stand up paddle, 10k MTB, 3k cross country run. The run is causing me the most concern! Not run any distance since about 1988.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#408 Re: One for the runners
September 18, 2017, 07:21:46 pm
So, inspired by SA Chris, Reeve and various others, I'm going to try and dust my running shoes off and get keen again. This could prove to be harder than it sounds though! I've ran a couple of half marathons, and a couple of ten milers before. There is a 10k race coming up locally, 3 weeks yesterday. Having not ran anything close to that distance in about 2 years, is is unrealistic to think I can manage this race and not come last? I'm in general physicality fit, but most definitely not in condition at present. However, this could be the catalyst I need to get going again. The last half marathon I did I was totally unprepared, and it showed. Can I expect to be embarrassed or is it worth a shot?

Mike Tyson

• forum hero

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#410 Re: One for the runners
September 18, 2017, 09:34:18 pm
a steady 10k with half a dozen runs to get you into the swing seems OK

I did something similar from a very low base

(see above)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#411 Re: One for the runners
September 18, 2017, 09:42:27 pm
That was my thinking too Lagers. Twice a week, for three weeks, with a good few days rest (from running) before actual race.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#412 Re: One for the runners
September 19, 2017, 07:25:02 am
Glad to inspire! Short answer is of course. Make sure you warm up first, warm down after and take it really easy the first couple of times out, your biggest danger is injuring your self. And stretch inbetween. Be realistic and build up, you don't want to get DOMs and be out of action for days.

PS when I started running again last summer it was the first time in earnest since 1988 when I was 19. I'm 48 now, no excuses!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#413 Re: One for the runners
September 19, 2017, 11:12:02 am
Effort Mike  :2thumbsup:

Having only started running this year at 42 with no athletic background other than a bit of cross country as a 10 year old and now comfortably running 20k+ a week I'm sure you'll smash it! Good warm ups and Pilates mid week has kept me injury free lately...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#414 Re: One for the runners
September 22, 2017, 09:47:50 am
Just been reading back through this thread - gold... Also realised Mike Tyson is Golt!!!

Have very quickly gone from "I just want to be able to run 5k three times a week to keep the weight off for climbing" to "shit, if I don't run in the next two days I might lose my mind" - this is a bit of a concern...

I've been suffering with what I have assumed is a shin splint in my right leg for a number of months now. I run three times a week, I stretch dynamically before each run and more statically afterwards and do Pilates twice a week as well as climbing twice a week on average (fishing, as you can imagine has taken a back seat recently...) It doesn't bother me when I'm running once I'm warm but can be very sore the next day particularly after walking to work in the morning.

Starting to get a bit 'noid that I might have a stress fracture - any advice welcome.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#415 Re: One for the runners
September 22, 2017, 10:00:04 am
Starters for ten.....
What is the condition of your running shoes? Are they old and knackered?
Were they fitted with your gait analysed to ensure you have the correct support?

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#416 Re: One for the runners
September 22, 2017, 10:45:29 am
Running shoes are in pretty good nick. I rotate between two pairs of Asics - Gel 9 Enduro for road and Gel Trabucco 13 for trail but it is total fluke that Asics seem to fit my Hobbit feet and I have never had a gait analysis done. I suppose this would be a good place to start! Thanks

SA Chris

• forum hero
#417 Re: One for the runners
September 22, 2017, 11:13:40 am
What Plattsy said. One of the best things I did when I started again was go to to the local running shop, get on their treadmill, let them have a look at how I run, and recommend me some shoes. You might get them cheaper on line, but the service wasn't worth it. I think my pair of running trainers (Nike Air Pegasus from 1994) were a bit long in the tooth anyway.

Also foam rolling might be a good idea to loosen up the legs, and the occasional sports massage seems to help.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#418 Re: One for the runners
September 22, 2017, 06:16:18 pm
First of all. Lol! to the not being able to lay off the running  ;D Really sorry to put it like that, with the other problems, but, join the club! Now, seriously. Have you been given a diagnosis of shin splints, or could it be something else? Many people suffer from complications due to pronation of the foot under load. A common occurance, often mistaken for shin splints is posterior tibial tendon pain: "localised pain.. sometimes stretching up a few inches onto your shin" - https://runnersconnect.net/posterior-tibial-tendonitis/  Very well worth checking out. You're also likely to become well acquainted with a number of other common ailments along the way. Hope that is helpful. Right, off for a run!  ;D

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#419 Re: One for the runners
September 26, 2017, 07:43:41 am
Well, my little ambition of running the local 10k is in tatters. Literally three days after I posted on here, with such excitement and anticipation, my left leg took an absolute beating at work. Cut a branch which was under loads of side tension, and it sprung out at a fair rate of speed and hit me full pelt on my leg just below kneecap at top of my shin. Dropped my saw, tear in my eye almost, man did it hurt.

I’ve waited a week and it’s still painful to walk on, up and down stairs hurts like hell and I’m dosed up on painkillers to get through the working day. So I’m not going to be running a 10k any time soon folks, sorry to disappoint.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#420 Re: One for the runners
September 26, 2017, 04:06:05 pm
Ha! Thanks Dave ;D No diagnosis but seems the most likely explanation from the research I've done. My local running shop does free gait analysis so will pop in next week and see what that says...

And unlucky Mike!!! Sounds well grim...

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#421 Re: One for the runners
September 26, 2017, 04:19:57 pm
I'll chime in with the usual:

Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning, conditioning, conditioning,conditioning, conditioning,conditioning, conditioning. Hips, quads, glutes.

https://runnersconnect.net/the-top-5-hip-strengthening-exercises-for-runners-to-prevent-injury-and-improve-hip-drive/

Sorry to hear about the injury MT! Hopefully the pain subsides soon for you to get cracking.

T_B

• forum hero
#422 Re: One for the runners
September 26, 2017, 04:28:34 pm
Some on-line resources I've been making use of recently:

http://physioedge.com.au/podcasts/

Long blog post on here about shin pain...
http://www.running-physio.com/

SA Chris

• forum hero
#423 Re: One for the runners
September 26, 2017, 04:46:39 pm
Kinetic revolution vids are quite good too.

My DOMs finally subsided by Saturday ( a full week) to a point where i actually feel like going for a run again

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#424 Re: One for the runners
October 03, 2017, 02:54:18 pm
Did a night run with a mad mate of mine on Saturday - super fun!!!

https://www.relive.cc/view/1209294333

Also, cows sound super weird and scary at night...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal