UKBouldering.com

One for the runners (Read 156329 times)

Graeme78

• player
#25 Re: One for the runners
January 08, 2008, 09:55:24 pm
For what it's worth galpinos has hit the nail on the head with the mudclaw 270, a pure racing shoe if ever there was one.
They do a heavier version which seems to be ok, I've only worn mine twice, but the number of people you see wearing them is probably a good indication to how good they are.

For fell running traditionalists, Walsh seem to have changed the last of their range and they are now wider across the instep, they don't seem to be as snug as they used to be, they're still comfy but don't seem to be as good.

A possible alternative to this is the mountain bear gladiator, although there are those who say they're crap on wet rock. Although I wouldn't know I've never used them.

chappers

• forum hero
#26 Re: One for the runners
January 08, 2008, 10:26:29 pm
no need for a track, the repetitive corners and the way it changes your style can lead to injury.

warm up and down the opposite way  ::)

tonight was fun until the third mile when the horizontal stinging hail stones started and soon covered the track about a cm deep. hills by head torch on thursday with the fell boys.

i accept all points made about those inov8's wearing out fast, but it is not true of the rest of their shoes, i have another pair of less aggressive ones (teroc ??) and they are in great condition still, even after a two day mountain marathon. must also point out that i have never worn a pair of walsh... :whistle:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#27 Re: One for the runners
January 08, 2008, 10:41:02 pm
must also point out that i have never worn a pair of walsh

You ain't never lived, boy.  :lol:
I admit that Walsh have various models which are all variations on a theme.  At the end of the day, they are like rock shoes:  what fits, fits.  All the shoes mentioned are good hill shoes, it's just a case of finding the ones that don't destroy your tootsies.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#28 Re: One for the runners
January 08, 2008, 11:19:38 pm
Must feel great running on a pukka track - all that bounce. 

After a week in bed with a chest infection followed by 13 miles of plodding... Yes it felt fucking great to have all that bounce. Sweeeet  bounce bounce

Look at me  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 11:30:43 pm by lagerstarfish »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#29 Re: One for the runners
January 09, 2008, 10:56:35 am
I'm keen to train towards a half marathon; 13 miles is double-ish what I currently cover; wouldn't be aiming too high, I think.

I'd be keen for saltbeefs' regime but Hamburg is somewhat like Flanders and it'll be difficult to find any hills, though there is one that may fit the bill.

I built the structure (w/some help) that keeps the crowd dry (?) at the Manchester City Athletics track; I always thought the surface was lush, it felt great, even in steel toe-d boots . . . this has to be the way forward as I've no interest in fell running, and road running does make me sore.

Good effort on the half-marathon Lagers; I see you were built for endurance  ;)

As for gait, I believe I may fall into the speedy Chihauhau/Smeagol-in-a-hurry category . . .

« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 11:05:21 am by Houdini, Reason: K9-Q2 »

Graeme78

• player
#30 Re: One for the runners
January 09, 2008, 11:02:51 am
Hill reps are not only good for running up hill sthey can also help your speed, it's similar to interval training in the respect you put all your effort into the hill, and then your easy section is the downhill.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#31 Re: One for the runners
January 09, 2008, 11:33:15 am
I did that half marathon with Lagers. It was a damn good effort as he'd been properly ill (as per) the week before and had to blag the organisers that he was ok to start. Still managed a very respectable time too.

Actually, when I say "did" what I mean is I walked from my house to St Mary's gate with the Mrs and sprog, watched him and sis-in-law run past, drove to Don Valley and met them at the finish and then went to the pub. Sharpe don't run.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#32 Re: One for the runners
January 09, 2008, 12:07:56 pm
I see you were built for endurance

Yep, I can drink for two or three days with minimal sleep - as long as I have appropriate company (you know who you are   :beer2:).
And as far as eating goes; I can eat almost all day every day without resorting to any unethical purging.
I am built for the traditional orgy, Roman style.  :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

The longest run I did before the half marathon was an hour and a half (did that twice) the rest of my runs were all one hour or sometimes less. The crowds and atmosphere are easily enough to get you through the second half of the route. I ran the two halves of the route seperately a couple of times at an easy, steady pace during training, which left me feling pretty confident about how fast to take it on the day. I was definitely faster on the second half, because I knew what I had left and what the route felt like. Redpoint!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 12:17:35 pm by lagerstarfish »

Duma

• forum hero
#33 Re: One for the runners
January 09, 2008, 03:10:18 pm
houdini - if you're currently doing 6-7 miles regularly you'll manage a half no worries, just don't go out too hard and don't expect it not to hurt for a few days afterwards.(from bitter experience). Also echo LSF's comments re the atmosphere helping. On the other hand, if your looking for more than just getting round, a bit more than nipping out for a run twice a week will probably be required.
Re shoes, any decent running shop will analyse your gait and let you try a variety of shoes- some will use video for this but it's hardly necessary.
Training wise, if you're looking at a half then at least one of your sessions should be a 'tempo' or 'threshold' run (the fastest rate at which your body can process lactate)  - easiest way to measure this is by getting a HRM: your threshold pace is about 85%.

Right, my own query, since there appears to be a few regular runners on here - How do you guys structure your training around climbing? Obviously I'm prioritising climbing here, but am trying to get out 3 times a week as well, with an eye on the Bath Half in March. Do people run and climb on the same day, etc etc. All tips gratefully grovelled for...

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#34 Re: One for the runners
January 09, 2008, 07:21:59 pm
I would run and train on the same day- fingerboard etc that only really uses upper body.  But, I don't think you get the full benefit unless you hang first, then run.  For climbing/wall I avoid running the same day (and usually the day before for outside stuff).  Even when you run regularly I personally think you are still only at 80% the following day.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#35 Re: One for the runners
January 09, 2008, 09:07:45 pm
I run and climb on the same day, but hey, I'll run, climb, lift, skip, then go clubbing - all on the same day!  Sensational stuff. 

Seriously, I've never felt so warmed-up for pulling than after a decent run. (Tho skipping followed by some powerball is a radge warm-up too.)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#36 Re: One for the runners
January 09, 2008, 09:31:57 pm
Is it really just me that's into skipping?

It's not a girls rope, it's metul 'n' evryfink!

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#37 Re: One for the runners
January 09, 2008, 09:38:16 pm
i have running phases, in the past frustration with climbing has led to me getting into running rather than working through the climbing plateau, this may be why i have been climbing the same grade for the past 7 years (not fully true - i have actually got marginally better  :o)

i can't do both running and climbing to full effort - what i have only just learned is if i want to get better at climbing, i can go running just not as hard/far. in the run up to your race you will probably shift your focus of effort to your running.

as for alternating leg and arm training  - i read somewhere, that whatever you are exercising, you need glycogen reserves to repair and strengthen - since these reserves are finite, even if you are resting your arms by going running, you won't actually fully recover if you go too hard/don't rest enough. i think its good to have 1 day a week doing nothing. (i often manage many!)

from an energy level perspective, you can climb before running, but it is MUCH harder to climb after running. if you run a short easy run before climbing its a good warm up.

i just went for a run - the streets were rammed with new years resolution runners (including me)

erm, sam

• forum hero
#38 Re: One for the runners
January 09, 2008, 09:57:59 pm
I love skipping. You can get so wasted! It gets so intense doing 1 minute on 1 minute off intervals at high tempo, keeping the rthym not stepping on the rope etc really keeps you focussed.

galpinos

• forum hero
#39 Re: One for the runners
January 09, 2008, 10:02:32 pm

I don't find skipping much of a work out. 10 secs of jumping up and down followed by 3 minutes untangling my legs from the rope doesn't really get the heart going.

I'll stick to running.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#40 Re: One for the runners
January 10, 2008, 07:54:39 am
But sometimes running is such an unattractive option isn't it?  Half a foot of ice, torrential rain etc..

The beauty of skipping (done correctly) is that it burns far more calories than running (I skip just under lightspeed), it works the upper-half better than running (particularly the shoulders/triceps), trains the grip fabulously, you don't have to run back from wherever you ran to, and can be done indoors away from the filthy weather.  Skipping is mental when you learn to do it properly.

Never buy a non-steel rope and get one w/the capacity to add weight to the grips.

I just re-read your post Galpinos - it's wholly obvious that you need to learn to skip. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 08:00:51 am by Houdini, Reason: ajiughargafh »

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#41 Re: One for the runners
January 10, 2008, 01:29:54 pm
Inspired by you lot (and my incresing beer belly), I've just got back from a run.  Did 5.8km cross country in the pissing rain.  A tad wet underfoot, but the NBs were very good.  Managed just under 6km in 32 mins (works out at 10.75kmh), which ain't bad for me at present.
Houdini:  Akis reckons skipping is for girls and gays.  And you ain't got no tits, boy.....

saltbeef

• forum hero
#42 Re: One for the runners
January 10, 2008, 04:41:18 pm
skipping is waddage. i always use it before training at the school. gets you tres warm. i've too low a boredom threshold, and nowhere to do it. I also have the peak ten minutes away to run in. however I'm struggling with walking currently.
feeling fit and cruising past people in a race is possibly one of the most satisfying things there is (and thats cos you're lapping them, because they ain't gonna be in front)
chappers yeah i know you can run the opposite direction, I still feel too much training on the track can make you injury prone, the bounce alters the gait. (at least this was the percieved wisdom when I was running competitively, ie 10year ago.)
houdinininini if there is one hill where you live run up and down it, when I were a youth in bedford the only hill was in the cemetry. I ran up and down that bastard, and won a few fell races first year i moved to shef...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#43 Re: One for the runners
January 10, 2008, 04:43:58 pm
Akis reckons skipping is for girls and gays. 

Skipping's for boxers and boulderers, sweetheart

Have you met my friend Nigel?

He said he was going to sodomize you w/extreme prejudice for suggesting he's pour homme.

(How does skipping compare with other aerobic activities?

One study showed that 10 minutes of skipping can have the same health benefits as a 30 minute run but this will depend on how good at skipping you are. It is also a cheap and fun way of getting fit.
)

Personally I rate the lower impact of skipping, when it's done properly height jumped is measured in mm.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 04:49:58 pm by Houdini, Reason: Q4-k9 »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#44 Re: One for the runners
January 10, 2008, 04:53:28 pm
youth in bedford

Then you know Jeremy Stephenson and Alan Davies?

I want it to freeze again.  I ran my circuit in -7°C t'other week: Fresh is the word, mmmmmm . . .

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#45 Re: One for the runners
January 10, 2008, 05:32:50 pm
He said he was going to sodomize you w/extreme prejudice for suggesting he's pour homme.

Wasn't me it was AKis.
Akis vs Gay Nige.  Could be interesting.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#46 Re: One for the runners
January 11, 2008, 10:20:03 am
If you call seeing Akis end up in a wheelchair 'interesting' then yeah, you could say that.

Unless he was allowed to use his harpoon gun of course.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#47 Re: One for the runners
January 11, 2008, 06:58:53 pm
Let the schedule increase. 

Skipping - I got one hour into a storming 90 minute clubmix (the orbit, natch) matching beat w/jump.  Stopping only to correct failures and drink a swig/grab quick breather (c. 6 or 7 minutes rest in total).  Followed by 2 glasses of water, 2 spoons of honey, and over an hour of running.  Easy 2000 calories.

This is an indecently relaxed evening.  Organic weed pipes and a bottle of Pinot Noir, jessum boss . . .   

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#48 Re: One for the runners
January 11, 2008, 11:23:05 pm
haven't done much skipping since school - houdinin do you need to go outside? do you do it in the rain (or have an big indoor space?)

on a running theme - lager star fish inspired me to link these rather unflattering race shots, couldn't seem to link the pic directly but here are some pics of me in my rather stylish green Totley vest (looking rather large thighed)

eyam half marathon my first race (i'm 190)

buckden pike

haven't done any races in a long while - its bad enough with the boyfriends family all being fell running champions (and bob graham rounders) - and the resultant xmas morning run....

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#49 Re: One for the runners
January 11, 2008, 11:29:52 pm
We have underground carparking, I skip just at the bottom of the ramp that leads to the carpark.  It's out of sight of the other appartments/people, and it's sheltered.  I can't do it indoors; It'd play murder with the parke (sp?) flooring and would make an absolute racket. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal