UKBouldering.com

One for the runners (Read 156330 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#375 Re: One for the runners
October 07, 2011, 01:17:17 pm
Bill Smith had died whilst out running.  I wrote a little blog piece this morning.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#376 Re: One for the runners
October 07, 2011, 02:02:33 pm
A quick bit of research on the book has led me to this electronic copy here

I look forward to reading it.

underground

• forum hero
#377 Re: One for the runners
October 07, 2011, 05:41:53 pm
Me too. Just joined the FRA actually

Plattsy

• forum hero
#378 Re: One for the runners
October 10, 2011, 07:59:45 pm
Found this inspiring and rather amusing at the same time. It's the arms that get me, along with the choice of music. Seems to fit.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#379 Re: One for the runners
November 15, 2011, 11:58:19 pm
I have committed myself to running the Keswick half marathon next year, pretty psyched tbh. I went out for my first run of more than 20 metres in total, in the best part of 15 years. I was fairly happy to manage 4.5 miles in just over 50 minutes. The only downside is the intense pain I've endured since! On a serious note, I've had major pain down the outside edge of my right foot, ouch. Only painful when weighted I.e. stood up and slowly going but a bit of a wake up call I guess. One can't just start running and expect it to be as simple as that!

Any specific tips for the budding runner folks?

underground

• forum hero
#380 Re: One for the runners
November 16, 2011, 07:25:04 am
What footwear did you use Golt?

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#381 Re: One for the runners
November 16, 2011, 09:03:04 am
I can't help with the specifics, but having run on the fells for 15 years, these things often happen when your back from a break/layoff. There are many little muscles and ligaments in the feet I've torn a couple, someone with expertise in the feet/legs may help more. I have had had similar pains to what you describe, and usually go in a couple of weeks. If it doesn't get it zapped, but a stress fracture would be more medial (on the top of your foot), what you describe is a common site of muscle pull.

My advice once its better, would be to do more often shorter runs, and let your musculature get in the groove. Then build it up.

You wouldn't stop climbing for 10 years and then  get straight on the campus board would you ;)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#382 Re: One for the runners
November 16, 2011, 09:05:37 am
Anyone doing the Abbey Dash on Sunday?

Have done it the last few years, last year culminating in a post Great North Run wind down PB...considering I haven't really done any running since then I'll be happy with a sub-55!

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#383 Re: One for the runners
November 16, 2011, 10:15:09 pm
What footwear did you use Golt?

I think my choice of footwear may not have been ideal. I had purchased some New Balance runners but left them at my folks house so resorted to using some shitty old addidas i had.

The foot is feeling better today, reckon ill be fit enough to get out again on friday.

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
#384 Re: One for the runners
November 21, 2011, 11:10:03 pm
golt sounds to me like some foot strengthening is in order. running is the opposite of climbing in terms of how we use our feet. when running then need to be pliable and able to splay but if your like me after years of cramming feet into climbing shoes your feet will have stiffened up somewhat. balance boards are really good for this and also just walking round in bare feet will help.  it wont take to long, just keep building the miles up slowly and you will be surprised how quickly it comes back.

Graeme78

• player
#385 Re: One for the runners
November 22, 2011, 06:56:18 am
Little and often to begin with, three times a week, two x twenty-thirty minute runs to begin with, then maybe 45 minutes at the weekend. If your struggling to get out mid-week try and make sure you do your weekly long run. Remember it's ok to run and walk, easier to get away with if your on the fells. And don't forget to stretch. A lot of minor niggles can be alleviated with a bit of stretching, key areas for me are calves and hamstrings.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#386 Re: One for the runners
November 22, 2011, 08:18:32 am
Some good advice already.

Cricket ball or similar placed under the foot and 'rolled' really helps with tension you may be building up in the sole of your foot.  Worth trying to build up easy as already said otherwise shin splints/stress fractures in foot/plantar fasciitis(strained arch) can easily sideline you.

Also worth remembering, that people will be running it in all sorts of time, probably up to at least 3 hrs which is pretty much walking, so providing you stay uninjured enough to get round and just get fit enough to do it at any pace over 4.33 mph you are unlikely to be last!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#387 Re: One for the runners
November 22, 2011, 09:35:04 am
And don't forget to stretch. A lot of minor niggles can be alleviated with a bit of stretching, key areas for me are calves and hamstrings.
All good advice as far as i can see.
Stretch after running, not before, or during; and hold stretches for a good 20-30 sec. little 5 sec holds will not do, and no trying to bounce into a deeper stretch. I tend to do quads, hamstrings & calves

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#388 Re: One for the runners
November 22, 2011, 11:04:36 am
anyone with ITB niggles might find this interesting / useful:
http://gonzo.studentenweb.org/_php/run/docs/itb1.pdf

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#389 Re: One for the runners
March 11, 2013, 04:26:36 pm
http://acceptableintheighties.wordpress.com/

or 'Have standards gone backwards?'

Duma

• forum hero
#390 Re: One for the runners
July 16, 2013, 12:29:49 pm
jesus mother fucking h christ it's hot.

Dolly

• forum hero
#391 Re: One for the runners
July 16, 2013, 01:53:35 pm
I hate running when its like this -  I went out before 8 this morning but I was still sweating like a pig after about 10 minutes -  or a mwchin seeing as I'm in Wales.
Going to try running higher up some hills tomorrow to see if its any cooler

Duma

• forum hero
#392 Re: One for the runners
July 16, 2013, 02:18:48 pm
Only myself to blame really, lay in bed till it was brutally hot, then felt guilty so went out at the worst time. mad dogs...

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#393 Re: One for the runners
September 01, 2015, 04:53:07 pm
Topic resurrection....

Signed up for the Lancaster Half in November, anybody done it? GCW? Any beta? Ta.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#394 Re: One for the runners
September 01, 2015, 05:38:36 pm
Not done it, but it's pretty flat and a good course for a PB. You've done halts before, haven't you.
I've stupidly entered the Lakeland 100 again. Oops.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#395 Re: One for the runners
September 01, 2015, 09:07:33 pm
Fool.

Mate just completed UTMB. Running for 21ish hours, sounds like no fun.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#396 Re: One for the runners
September 06, 2015, 10:54:42 am
Not done it, but it's pretty flat and a good course for a PB. You've done halts before, haven't you.
I've stupidly entered the Lakeland 100 again. Oops.

I had a quick gander at the course, looks ok and seen as though it's only my second half marathon, I've only got the very hilly Keswick one to benchmark against! Hoping to beat my time from that one.

I must take my hat off to you matey, that's some commitment to go through again! Respect  8)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#397 Re: One for the runners
April 26, 2016, 08:22:48 pm
copy and pasted from the fell runners thread, to blatantly get the most exposure... as I'm really not sure about this... but kinda really want to give it a go... * shitting myself*

just realised the burbage skyline is next week, I'm comfortably hitting 8 km in 44 mins up all the hills in graves park... hilliest possible route... could easy do 42 mins if i didnt run it when the park is busy.... will I die? I just want to finish!!c'mon... say it how it is, I'm an old man, and it's a bucket list thing...

DWTJ

#398 Re: One for the runners
April 26, 2016, 10:45:52 pm
copy and pasted from the fell runners thread, to blatantly get the most exposure... as I'm really not sure about this... but kinda really want to give it a go... * shitting myself*

just realised the burbage skyline is next week, I'm comfortably hitting 8 km in 44 mins up all the hills in graves park... hilliest possible route... could easy do 42 mins if i didnt run it when the park is busy.... will I die? I just want to finish!!c'mon... say it how it is, I'm an old man, and it's a bucket list thing...

You'll be absolutely fine. You won't win but you won't be last and I'm sure you'll have a great time. It's not too hilly, lots of very runnable sections. It's brilliant, one of the best local ones!

roddersm

• stalker
#399 Re: One for the runners
April 28, 2016, 12:04:26 pm
I recently started monitoring HR whilst running and was really surprised to see that I was hitting around 90% max average HR, although didn't feel I was working that hard.

This seems unusually high for this duration of running (40min - 1hour). 

Does anyone else monitor HR and if so what sort to % max do you aim for - for general fitness and active rest between climbing days?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal