UKBouldering.com

One for the runners (Read 159529 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#350 Re: One for the runners
April 27, 2009, 12:11:15 pm
Effort. Isn't that basically a amarathon but with 6000ft of ascent thrown in?

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#351 Re: One for the runners
April 27, 2009, 12:20:52 pm
fortunately its only 4500feet of ascent (so thats alright then)  :P

like this up whernside...

for facebookers me gurning a bit at the finish to get under 4:50

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#352 Re: One for the runners
April 30, 2009, 10:48:25 am
manged to do the yorkshire three peaks race without getting timed out  :great: at either of the two cutoff points

squeaked in just under 4:50, with 4:49:40 - managed to pull an extra burst of effort for the last little bit when i worked out i had a nice round number i might beat (obviously that 20 seconds difference dead important  :whistle:)

Good effort, sounds like a real epic grind!

Just out of interest, what sort of food and drinks did you consume before and during the race?

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#353 Re: One for the runners
April 30, 2009, 11:24:22 am
hi si - epic is right (i was summitting whernside as aidy's brother was winning!)

for runs over a few hours i like nutrigrain bars and jelly  babies (in that order)

i try to eat a bit every half hour - but in races just end up eating whilst walking up-hill

because there are  no streams on route we got to send a drinks bottle to both road check points (ribblehead and hill inn) - so i sent a lucozade sport size bottle with a nutrigrain bar taped to it containg weakish orange squash (with sugar not sweetners) and a pinch of salt to each one.

i also set off with a bottle in my bum bag (much to the disdain of aidy's fell running family!)

if i was doing a long race without drop offs i would consider taking a bottle in bumbag (maybe with wine neck for refilling), or my OMM sac with platypus, or at least have a drinks strategy ie knowing where streams are (conning friends and family into bringing you drinks works best).

i don't like sports drinks with sweeteners (even with sugar too like lucozade) - been meaning to try gatorade but couldn't get hold of any (also was sticking to what i know).

apparently you can condition yourself to drink loads less, and in the lakes/mountains drink from streams - but having enough (for me) to drink for me makes it all more bearable (and i didn't get cramp - which is apparently unusual for this race).

i did prob drink too much up ingleborough (cos it was hot) - and got a bit of a stitch on the way down (though might have got this anyway).

eating wise i don't like any thing to crumby/dry when i'm out of breath as i inhale it - try different stuff out on the move on big training runs, i did have a bit of a gel i had with me (SIS orange - but mainly cos i was thirsty and i'd given my last bottle to a marshal at top of pen y ghent), sometimes i have peanut butter sandwiches, and garibaldi (though its a bit dry) various cake/biscuits that don't get too destroyed

i find if i eat jelly babies (or too much "pure" sugar) too soon in a long event - i get a boost, then a crash - so once you start you can't stop and you feel a bit sick.

i have noticed the effect of eating jelly babies and "feeling them work" straight away - which that recent research about spitting out sports drink shows is in the brain.

Duma

• forum hero
#354 Re: One for the runners
May 24, 2009, 08:39:21 pm
jfw and all the other fell types out there: I think I'm going to have a go at the Beacon Batch 5 next month - 5m, 1000ft of climbing. Think it should be a reasonable introduction, but have a question. It's run under FRA regs, will this mean I need full body cover, compass etc? Seems a bit over the top for a five miler on summer evening if so.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#355 Re: One for the runners
May 26, 2009, 11:20:24 am
Maybe we should rename this thread One For The Uphill Crawlers and Downhill Fallers;)

Plattsy

• forum hero
#356 Re: One for the runners
May 26, 2009, 11:42:33 am

This sort of thing?

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#357 Re: One for the runners
May 26, 2009, 11:56:19 am
jfw and all the other fell types out there: I think I'm going to have a go at the Beacon Batch 5 next month - 5m, 1000ft of climbing. Think it should be a reasonable introduction, but have a question. It's run under FRA regs, will this mean I need full body cover, compass etc? Seems a bit over the top for a five miler on summer evening if so.

Duma that looks cool.

Its not usually mandatory for short races (under 6 miles so that's you) to carry anything - as it is for medium and long. There are more details in tehe rules here

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/pdf/committee/safetyrequirements.pdf

which basically say that the event organiser may ask you to carry it depending on weather conditions and forecast (in longer races the requirement for full windproof body cover will be upped to full waterproof cover if the weather is bad)

Steve R

• forum abuser
#358 Re: One for the runners
May 27, 2009, 04:48:14 pm

squeaked in just under 4:50, with 4:49:40 - managed to pull an extra burst of effort for the last little bit when i worked out i had a nice round number i might beat (obviously that 20 seconds difference dead important  :whistle:)

great effort jo!  I was struggling to comprehend how people manage to run this thing earlier this year as I limped home in a lightning 10hrs something..... :bow:

Plattsy

• forum hero
#359 Re: One for the runners
May 29, 2009, 10:48:56 am
That cheese rolling thing reminded me of something I saw on the other channel.

In August last year the Tryfan downhill dash was run for the first time since 1991. From Adam and Eve to the A5. The record is 8 mins (set in 1991) and the the record maker broke both wrists during the descent!  :o

Anyone know of any other bonkers downhill only races like this?

More info - http://www.eryriharriers.org.uk/mountain.html

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#360 Re: One for the runners
January 04, 2010, 06:04:30 pm
Been working 7 days on for months on end so I've not run since early autumn.

On the plus side, finally got round to buying top running shoes w/ proper insoles, went w/ Brooks, €155 all in.  Really hoping the knee and hip pain won't return. 

Still snowy here but keen to get out in the woods again (it'll hurt).

chicane

• player
#361 Re: One for the runners
February 09, 2010, 04:36:49 pm

Loving this iphone app
www.endomondo.com

my lunchtime run today -> http://www.endomondo.com/workouts?w=iefluIZGqew

It's free and there is a version for other phones.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#362 Re: One for the runners
February 09, 2010, 06:09:05 pm
I haven't run in ages, we've been hit by terrible ice w/ no sign of warming for weeks.

I might as well be on iceskates.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#363 Re: One for the runners
March 01, 2010, 10:21:55 am
feel like my running is finally coming back together.

got the train from hathersaeg to edale and ran back over win hill and shatton moor.

snowy on the kinder stretch but pretty compacted and runnable.

met another runner on approach to win hill - which made me try loads harder on that ascent than otherwise, by the time i was going up to shatton mast was slowed right down.

weather forecast this weekend was totally wack - saturday was meant to be a nicer day - so went out on my bike - cue big fat snow, sleet like shards of glass and normal rain.  still cold but at least dry on sunday for the run.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#364 Re: One for the runners
March 01, 2010, 10:43:26 am
Really hoping the knee and hip pain won't return. 
ITBS?

Nice one jfw. I'm feeling like my running is coming along too. Got the Gallop in a couple of weeks. Hoping for a good time.

Got any races lined up?

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#365 Re: One for the runners
March 01, 2010, 11:32:40 am
three peaks again 24th april - hoping to beat last years time.

kind of wish i'd got a skyline entry - but i was being extra cautious about doing too much after previous learning curve of getting ill and stuff.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#366 Re: One for the runners
March 01, 2010, 12:00:12 pm
Good luck with the 3 peaks. The skyline scares me a lot.  :-[

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#367 Re: One for the runners
March 01, 2010, 04:53:56 pm
you'll be reet - you been out reccying (in the snow)?

all the skirt round short cuts round Jacob's ladder etc were well snowy last time I was on that side.

Look on the bright side - at least we're not doing the high peak marathon.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#368 Re: One for the runners
March 01, 2010, 05:08:53 pm
I thought about doing the skyline and that thought was enough to put me off. Not been out to the peak running since the Tigger Tor (it's quite a way for me). Reccying that with a few of the Totley lot was just horrible. Shin high crusty snow. The gallop is long enough and hard enough for me at the moment.

High peak marathon  :'(

Dolly

• forum hero
#369 Re: One for the runners
January 29, 2011, 10:13:56 pm
Did summat called the Park Run this morning.
I did it in Endcliffe Park in Sheff but they're all over the UK.
Basically a 5k organised race/run that starts @ 9:00 :o

Its free, you get a barcode which is effectively a basic timing device. Very friendly with a wide range of abilities. Everything from blokes doing it in 15 minutes to pensioners, people pushing buggies, families doing it together etc etc.
Well organised and an incentive to make sure you get out if you need something to get you going (and you're not pencilled in to climb that Saturday)
Will deffo do it again
link here  http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#370 Re: One for the runners
January 29, 2011, 11:21:07 pm
so, what time did you get?

Danger

• player
#371 Re: One for the runners
January 30, 2011, 12:21:24 pm
Did summat called the Park Run this morning.
I did it in Endcliffe Park in Sheff.

I also did this for the first time on Saturday. I really enjoyed it.

Will deffo do it again

Me too. I am aiming to make it every Saturday that I am not working or exceptionally hungover (probably about twice more this year then). I am doing the Sheffield half in May and as I seem to struggle with speed rather than endurance I am hoping a few more fast-frosty-5ks running with a group will see me right.

Dolly

• forum hero
#372 Re: One for the runners
February 24, 2011, 06:53:51 pm
Used my Garmin forerunner 110 GPS thing for the first time today - its brilliant.
Looks like a watch rather than a 80s mobile phone strapped to your wrist.
Its a piece of piss to set up. I walked outside at work and it got GPS signals within about 15 seconds.
Just downloaded the software, plugged the thing in and got a detailed summary of my run. Max speed/ averages/k splits/time I spent waiting for traffic etc etc. And a detailed map showing exactly where I'd been.
I'm completely impressed - its much better than I thought it would be.

fatkid2000

• junky
#373 Re: One for the runners
February 24, 2011, 08:09:38 pm
Dolly - how much are they?

Dolly

• forum hero
#374 Re: One for the runners
February 24, 2011, 11:48:36 pm
£119 from amazon was the cheapest I could

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal