the shizzle > diet, training and injuries

One for the runners

<< < (3/144) > >>

fatdoc:

--- Quote from: GCW on January 08, 2008, 10:15:24 am ---I only really run to lose weight- it ain't working.

Until it got dark early I was doing 5km alternate days.  Always off road though, and I'm crap anyway.  Was just about managing 5km in 28 minutes.  I alway srun in Walshes or similar, and I don't do road running as my knees don't like it.
Strangely the only problem I get is elbow pains.  I must hold them funny.

--- End quote ---

timely thread this for me. 1st run planned tomorrow, about the same ability... cant get enough time (cos climbing) or motivation (too cold, wet or busy training on board to get on road bike) and i need to get fitter... :'( i'll be taking it very steady i can tell you!!

webbo:

--- Quote from: Houdini on January 08, 2008, 10:17:08 am ---Must feel great running on a pukka track - all that bounce. 

And what stretching are people doing?

--- End quote ---
i once saw a physio who was a runner,she reckoned the evidence for stretching as injury prevention/recovery was pretty flawed.
also last year i injured my calf climbing,trying some dyno.yes i know i should know better at my age.anyhow it responded to treatment and cleared up alot sooner than the physio expected.
this made him speculate that it may not have been torn/ruptured tissue but a little known condition which happens when you stretch before exercise the muscle than gets the message here comes hard work/pain and goes into spasm which feels like a tear.
the advise was to do long gradual stretching post exercise.

Vitamin K:
Made the mistake recently of entering and running in a fell race. It's been a while since I've done one (15 years probably) and I now I understand just how unfit I really am. A few weeks training as an alternative to climbing after a broken wrist was not nearly enough! I haven't felt such pain for a long time, during the race and in the days afterwards. Nightmare.

It has got me motivated to do more though - I've just got to plod for couple of months before stepping things up.

One thing I did learn was that my Montrails were definitely not up to the job - it'll be back to Walshes in the future.

GCW:
I've tried a few Fell shoes, but always come back to Walsh.  Using the New Balance XT Terrains at present.  They are good but I tend to get heel lift so they rub on longer circuits (above about 8-9km).  I had to resort to 1000 mile socks.

chappers:

Fuck Walsh, way too old school!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version