UKBouldering.com

Wireless WEP question/problem (Read 2077 times)

nik at work

• forum hero
Wireless WEP question/problem
January 05, 2008, 08:18:38 pm
I've purchased a WIFi printer which I want to WiFialise on my wireless network, but I have encoutered a small problem.

The network is WEP'ed so I need a key for my printer to access the network but....

Obviously I got my wireless router ages ago and threw away the instructions/box/WEP key etc etc etc months ago, or maybe I lost 'em, or the wife has hidden them, perhaps the dog buried 'em, fuck knows where they are.

Anyway, is there a way of getting my key?

The other thing is I've looked on the laptop and they key appears in a box as a series of dots, but there are 8 dots, suggesting the key is eight letters/numbers/whatever. But when I try and enter a key for ther printer it insists on it being either 5, 13 or 26 characters long. Anybody got any idea what the crack is there?

Please help me, I promise to be more careful with my WEPs in the future....

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Re: Wireless WEP question/problem
January 05, 2008, 08:30:31 pm
I can only suggest to look on the manufactures website and hopefully you will be able to download the manual for your router

account_inactive

• forum hero
#2 Re: Wireless WEP question/problem
January 05, 2008, 09:12:54 pm
Jim's right - Do a google search for the manufacturer

Most of the default passwords are admin or administrator

nik at work

• forum hero
#3 Re: Wireless WEP question/problem
January 05, 2008, 09:39:36 pm
Cheers, I'll get on the case.

Anyone got any thoughts on the second part of the question.
I seem to remember that the code was 26 characters (arranged in 13 pairs from what I remember) so I'm not really sure what this 8 character thingy is.
It is in wireless network connection properties, on the wireless networks tab, then I select my network from the box under the preferred networks title and click properties which takes me to <network name> wireless properties, under the association tab the network key is shown as 8 dots.
I'm off to trawl the net, but will call back soon. Seem to remember dobbin boasting about being able to crack WEP on a wireless network in under 60 seconds, perhaps I should invite him round for a cup of tea....

nik at work

• forum hero
#4 Re: Wireless WEP question/problem
January 06, 2008, 01:49:37 pm
All sorted, I'm a knob, it was simple-pimple.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#5 Re: Wireless WEP question/problem
January 07, 2008, 10:51:10 am
Bloody hell. Does this mean I have missed the opportunity to have tea with a legend? you snooze you loose eh?

rasheed

• regular
#6 Re: Wireless WEP question/problem
January 07, 2008, 10:59:47 am
im making tea now

nik at work

• forum hero
#7 Re: Wireless WEP question/problem
February 10, 2008, 02:25:03 pm
This has only just appeared as a new message on my computer despite being posted several weeks ago. Wierd.

Oh well. Dobbin you can have an open invitation to come for a cup of tea whenever you're next over this way. I can't promise I'll be able to find any legends at short notice, but I could probably dig out a hobnob or two...

(hell I'll even unplug my router so you can "fix it" and feel all useful)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal