UKBouldering.com

Home network media center thingy (Read 13164 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#25 Re: Home network media center thingy
January 10, 2008, 11:24:47 pm
If it turns out to be the best solution for me then I don't see any reason not to instal linux on the HTPC.
will there be any problems being networked and running stuff from a windows pc?

Networking wise, certainly not, Linux has full support for pretty much all network protocols (TCP/IP, both IPv4 and IPv6, PPP, SLIP blah, blah).  Wireless networking can be tricky at times due to the chip manufacturer's refusal to release chip specs, but this is getting less of a problem, and if really comes down to it you can use ndiswrapper to use the windows drivers (although this isn't really a worry, since your likely to use cabled connections).

As for running "stuff" from windows, thats territory I've not experience of for media center's as I haven't got one myself, it kind of depends what you want to do.  Something like MythTV seems to use a frontend that runs under Linux as well.  One thing you will be able to do is use Cygwin/X to get a 'remote' graphical login over SSH to a linux box from under windows (Cygwin is a *NIX shell for windows).  You can also use PuTTY to get a CLI login over SSH.  You might be able to get the MythTV frontend running under Cygwin/X on a windows machine, but its not something I've tried or read about (although in theory since Cygwin provides a complete *NIX shell it should be possible).

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#26 Re: Home network media center thingy
January 10, 2008, 11:50:44 pm
Thanks for the input but I didn't understand a word you said wrote typed

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#27 Re: Home network media center thingy
January 12, 2008, 09:12:17 pm
Well the HTPC is up and running with media portal which is excellent.
Just need to organise my files better to make it easier to access them and get a remote control

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#28 Re: Home network media center thingy
January 13, 2008, 08:35:17 pm
This really is amazing, much better quality than any dvd player, fully customisable, upscaling, you name it....
i can't recomend doing this enough if you have a spare pc, even my old P4 2Ghz with 256 ddr works well.

Onto business: whats the best way of remote accessing the HTPC? my mate suggested using logmein.
Its doing my eyes in setting it up from infront of the TV and would be much better if I could do it on the laptop over the network and would completely remove the need for a keyboard/mouse once I get the remote control

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#29 Re: Home network media center thingy
January 14, 2008, 09:43:04 am
If you mean remote controlling the PC, then why not just turn on RDP? its free! if you want to access it from the internet, you would need to forward 3389 to your HTPC.

Theres also GoToMyPC, which is owned by those nice people at citrix. That means its really good but probably very expensive. Finally - VNC? thats free too.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#30 Re: Home network media center thingy
January 14, 2008, 10:21:09 am

Finally - VNC? thats free too.

Might be something different, but I use VNC to connect to works Virtual Private Network (VPN), and still have to use SSH to connect, VNC just sets up the tunnel.  Is that what the HTPC has?

Other options for connecting include telnet and ssh if HTPC support them, but they're Command Line Interfaces (CLI's) and I suspect its a GUI on your TV that you want to access via a browser or something?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#31 Re: Home network media center thingy
January 14, 2008, 01:46:42 pm
well i've got logmein on all my machines now. It is very good as now I can connect to my computers from anywhere on any machine really easily.
I really only wanted to connect over my network initially but this seems to be perfect so I don't need to look at another solution.
Cheers anyway

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal