UKBouldering.com

The Big 4 (Read 11990 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#25 The Big 4
August 08, 2003, 10:26:08 am
I reckon T-crack and Mushin' are pretty much power endurance. The last move on t-crack is easy on its own, but not after climbing out to it. Mushin' just seems to get harder the further you get - and no footholds. However for 7b+/c one's too easy and one's too hard.

Whats with the whole power-enduro thing anyway? The best welsh problems fall into this category cos, (relative to grit) they ain't got the quality of move.

We have. It might make for 'knacky' problems but it beats getting pumped.

The Alliance is kinda tiring.

dave

#26 The Big 4
August 08, 2003, 10:31:06 am
is the alliance thing summert on burbage south then? inknow you explained it before but i'm non the wiser.....

Omega

• player
    • Powerband
#27 The Big 4
August 08, 2003, 10:56:50 am
well from my experience of the big four at rempart, none of the problems could be described as power-enduro problems.  so i guess it depends what your looking for - i was aiming for hard, classic and preferrably high problems with quality of moves (as opposed to number of moves)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#28 The Big 4
August 08, 2003, 12:54:42 pm
Those are fine criteria. The only traverses I ever do are NTBTA :wink:  and the pebble girdle. They don't really inspire me generally.

The Alliance is in the froggatt guide - north end of Burbage south. Fills all of the above criteria. Its still quite cool up there in the mornings...

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#29 The Big 4
August 08, 2003, 11:09:02 pm
Getting back to the original thread, I spoke to Mark Katz tonight and it turns out he hasn't done Sonic Boom yet. So its just Nodder and Clem standing on the podium so far.

Anybody fancy a bronze medal?

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#30 The Big 4
August 11, 2003, 05:30:40 pm
Simon - where is Sonic Boom?

Bit of a catch-22 this, isn't it? I don't get a guide, if I don't do the problem, but can't do the problem without the guide.

Do we need a local on hand to make sure we don't use any illegal footholds on the barrel trav?

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
#31 The Big 4
August 11, 2003, 05:33:07 pm
Quote from: "Johnny Brown"
I reckon T-crack and Mushin' are pretty much power endurance.

Ha Ha Ha. Hee Hee Hee.  :shock:  :shock:

No wonder we're all so crap at sport climbing if six moves tests your power endurance.

Where was I? Oh yeah, Ha Ha HA, He Heee HEee.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#32 The Big 4
August 12, 2003, 08:56:33 am
Read the name of the site, midgets, and put the remark in its proper context!

To me the essence of bouldering is not girdle traverses of raventor without letting your arse scrape the ground.

Done Mushin' have you?

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
#33 The Big 4
August 12, 2003, 10:09:27 am
Well, putting the reply into the context of a bouldering site then:

Problems like Rock Attrocity, or Jerry's Roof fall into a power endurance category. They seem to fit with the spirit of bouldering very nicely. Future problems like linking Lou Ferrino into Trigger Cut fall well and truly into the power endurance category, and seem to epitomise the spirit of bouldering.

What about long, classic problems like Martini Roof? Are they not "proper" bouldering?

Bouldering includes much more than five move problems, which simply don't test your power endurance (unless you don't have any). I see power endurance as an essential skill for a boulderer. Classic problems require it, and it helps you train harder and longer.

p.s
I did Mushin a while ago.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#34 The Big 4
August 12, 2003, 12:59:06 pm
Good effort on Mushin. Reach can no longer be an excuse for the rest of us. And you didn't get tired at all?

For a B7 climber, I don't think its unreasonable to call t-crack an introduction to power-endurance. That last move is well burly. I've seen loads of people work it fine but be unable to link it cos its too powerful after doing the start. That strikes me as a reasonable definition for power-endurance. For such a definition to have any meaning you need to apply it to people climbing near their limit.

I think big grit-style moves tire you quicker than crimpy limestone style. hence during the competition for the first ascent of the ben's groove s-d, several top climbers failed to do the easy, not particularly powerful top moves due to being knackered from less than 5 moves up ten foot of barely overhanging rock.

The problems you mention I don't know, apart from Jerry's roof, but strike me as sport climbing without ropes (is sean's roof bouldering?)

This is far too like cocktalk for me.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
#35 The Big 4
August 12, 2003, 01:47:30 pm
Ahh, perhaps you're right. It's not exactly worth getting worked up over, is it?

I guess the only point I'd make is if you're actually powered out at the top of T-crack, rather than, say, being poorly set up on the sloper, then you could do with throwing a few power-endurance circuits into your bouldering sessions...  :wink:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#36 The Big 4
August 12, 2003, 02:14:22 pm
being poorly set up on the sloper

or not using yer feet right..., or not using the cunning undercut...

but then it ain't at our limit.

Come on then, was Mushin really not tiring? How many goes did you get before it destroyed your skin? I've only really tried it once, and only got three goes before there was claret everywhere.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
#37 The Big 4
August 12, 2003, 02:29:13 pm
Mushin wasn't tiring at all. I found it quite hard, and very frustrating to find it dry, but not tiring, no.  I don't recall it being THAT tough on the skin either.

Have you been trying it in the middle of a heatwave?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#38 The Big 4
August 12, 2003, 03:50:09 pm
twas years ago, I can't remember the weather. But that first hold after the undercuts was well savage with one big, sharp crystal.

To get back on topic, is it really really good?

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#39 The Big 4
August 12, 2003, 11:28:24 pm
Sonic Boom is easy to find (obvious r-l steep slopey traverse on far side of boulder field in Angel Bay) assuming you have a map and know that Angel Bay lies on the far side of Little Orme. I guess a guide would be a better solution. Apparently some bloke who lives in Llanberis is just about to unleash such a deadly addictive product onto an unsuspecting and vulnerable public (Has this man no morals!?).

Anyway, a rock star of your abilities would no doubt find the difficulties entailed in a successful ascent of SB to be at best trivial and at worst a mere annoyance. I on the other hand found it the living end, and fell off the final moves on numerous occasions before a change in the wind direction gave me that crucial victory nudge.

As for the Barrel Traverse: no rules anymore. All that eliminate bullshit is so early 90s. Do what you like, just as long as you pull on beneath the groove. V8+/7b+ is the consensus - numerous methods exist from fast and burly to tricky and intricate.

Glad that you've noticed the glaringly obvious lou Ferrino-Trigger Cut link.  An awesome link awaiting an awesome climber.

Your Godrevy problems look hard, and pretty good too. Why don't you publicise them - a topo on this site, for example?

Cheers, Simon.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
#40 The Big 4
August 13, 2003, 02:26:43 am
Cheers for the info Simon.

You know, I was thinking about buying that guide, but I'm just not sure that there's enough good bouldering in Wales to justify it. I mean, isn't it just the cromlech boulders?

I'm so pleased all that eliminate crap has gone away. I remember making three seperate trips to the barrell, coming away pleased on each occasion, to be told, on each occasion, that I'd used some big foothold that wasn't on. Jeez!

I'm glad you liked Godrevy. The whole area really needs a little pamphlet detailing the boulders along the coast of cornwall, covering the areas from bude down to lands end. The trick is that each bit of coast has it's own locals, and some are quite cagey about giving away details to the crags.  Also, I know Simon Young wants to produce his own guide to the stuff around Bude...

chris

• menacing presence
#41 The Big 4
August 13, 2003, 10:30:11 am
A bude guide will be excellent....if it happens!!

Just been down to Northcott last week, its a top bouldering venue, you cant beat hot sun perfect rock and the sea. Some classy problems down there, 'the pinch' and 'red quinnie cave' are well worth seeking out!

stu, have you climbed down there a lot, didnt you repeat 'ache ball' a while back? looks nails!   Good effort

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
#42 The Big 4
August 13, 2003, 10:41:46 am
Chris,

The Culm coast is a smart place to boulder, isn't it?

I think I've done pretty much all of the harder documented problems down on the Culm coast now, but there's probably a great deal more around.  With the publication of a guide, the area would be a good choice for a quick weekend raid in the summer. Good bouldering, surfing, beaches and BBQs.  Sweet.

In the spirit of the thread, can I suggest a Culm Coast big 4? How about Clinical Edge, Carnage, Up To No Good and Red Quinnie. They'd all be four star problems anywhere in the UK, I reckon. A weekend tick of these four would be well worthwhile, and involve a lot of walking! A pint at the Hartland Quay Hotel to the first taker..

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#43 The Big 4
August 13, 2003, 10:42:58 am
Can you do us a Dartmoor big 4 too, Stu?

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
#44 The Big 4
August 13, 2003, 10:50:45 am
A dartmoor big 4 is easy, bro:

1) Dancing Queen, Saddle Tor
2) Alan Smith, Hound Tor
3) Easdon Arete, Eason
4) Tsunami, Bonehill

all around 7b--7c+. That covers most problem types too. There's no way anyone new to the area could tick all those four in a weekend tho', there isn't that much skin in the whole world! Therefore I propose a "visitors course" of:

1) Rippled Wall, Bonehill
2) Bjorn Again, Saddle Tor
3) Wish, Hound Tor
4) Desire, Lustleigh Sacrifical Boulder (high!)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#45 The Big 4
August 13, 2003, 10:53:54 am
Nice one  :)

Now all we need is some Scottish and Irish Big-4's, some Southern Sandstone, and we've got the ultimate weekend ticklist for those well heeled boulderers who have a private helicoptor...

Glen Dale?

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#46 The Big 4
August 13, 2003, 11:20:03 am
Quote from: "Bubba"

Glen Dale?

Do they have to be Power Endurance?
Roughly 7b/7c?
Was there a video on climbxmedia about DG?
http://www.planetmountain.com/english/Special/people/graham/03.html
Does anyone have it?
What style are they ?
"Big Boss, Tristesse, Big Golden and Fourmis Rouge"

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#47 The Big 4
August 13, 2003, 11:35:02 am
Yeah, that's the idea - not seen that Dave Graham thing before, cheers for the link.

Not got that vid but I bet Mr Lincoln has though....

What's this one:

dave

#48 The Big 4
August 13, 2003, 11:43:08 am
thats deferlante which is a 7b-7a dyno in a pit (near haute tension?) at cuisiniere. it starts off little sharp crimps, slopey landing. I nearly did it on a font trip over a year ago, but splitting tips were hindering holding the starting holds (taped!) and i cut my hand on the lip hold which is just a very sharp jug. I think its a good problem if you're not in too much pain, but theres a lot better dynos around in font.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#49 The Big 4
August 13, 2003, 11:44:52 am
That's why I asked, I was sure I'd seen it at Cuisiniere t'other week. Certainly looked nasty crimpy to start.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal