Panto Season! (Read 2397 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Panto Season!
December 23, 2007, 11:43:48 am
OH YES IT IS!
Pantomimes are ace. I went to see Cinderella at the Lyceum in Sheffield yesterday. It was brilliant. Plenty of topical jokes and double entendres delivered with feeling by b and c list celebs (from various soaps, Blue Peter) etc. Plenty of audience participation. This is where these TV types belong, not in some lame reality show on Chanel 4. I always wondered what the deal was with Bobby Knut - now I know - he's bloody brilliant at this sort of thing (Barron Hardup - Cinders' dad). Can't imagine that he'd be good at owt else though.
Knutty downed a pint in one during the performance and brought a tear of joy to my eye when he brought out the best in the three small kids who joined him on the stage.
Ugly sisters were both ugly and hilarious. Their cover of Scissor Sisters' "Filthy" was top.
It might be an irritating bag of shite, but James Blunt's "Your Beautiful" actually goes OK in a pantomime farce for kids - probably where it should stay.
Overall, the humour was very Sheffield-centric (much like an excellent bouldering forum I know) and when the delivery was imperfect the actors acknowledged this in the usual ways - thus recovering and keeping us all happy.
If there are tickets left I reccommend getting out to see it. The kids might like it too.

Anyone else seen any good Panto this year?

Paz

• junky
#1 Re: Panto Season!
December 24, 2007, 06:20:15 pm
Did you rally rate it?  I've been to the Lyceum one the last two years ever since my mum's been orphaned (she's old, don't worry) and never liked it at all - they were just never a patch on the City Hall Manor Operatic ones (with Netot jokes, dough throwing, misbehaving animals, pracitacl jokes (someone once inserted a load of pr0n into a comedy prop scroll which unrolled - only us at the front of the top balcony in the cheap seats and the actor himsefl could see it), and they have old songs like Abba that I know the words to, or it doesn't matter, instead of this new rubbish, and no celebrities).  But they always go to that these days after I bugger off back down south.  I only ask because the previous two were so bad me and father insisted on not going to it on boxing day this year...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#2 Re: Panto Season!
December 27, 2007, 11:52:12 am
Did you rally rate it? 

Yes, I rate it. My enjoyment had a lot to do with the the enthusiastic reactions of the children I went with (standing up and screaming with excitement, laughing till they had tears running down their faces, lots of empathetic oohs, boos and ahhs etc - emotive stuff). I think that set me in a very happy place from which to enjoy the show for myself. Hoping to see more to compare it with. I won't be able to get to City Hall this year, but on your reccommendation I will try to get there next year.

Paz

• junky
#3 Re: Panto Season!
December 28, 2007, 07:02:07 pm
Cool, at the very least it shouldn't be a waste of much money at all.

I was interested to see Bobby nut's back, being a fan of his work.  The only time we went to the crucible one, he gave my sister a cuddly bunny rabbit. 

Paz

• junky
#4 Re: Panto Season!
January 06, 2008, 09:53:00 pm
I won't be able to get to City Hall this year,

I've just seen it - it's a bit lo-fi this year, but is better than last year apparently, and is indeed ace.  If they want to chuck out all the gimmicks and stick even more and funnier jokes in instead, that's fine by me.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#5 Re: Panto Season!
January 06, 2008, 10:14:10 pm
I've just seen it - it's a bit lo-fi this year, but is better than last year apparently, and is indeed ace.  If they want to chuck out all the gimmicks and stick even more and funnier jokes in instead, that's fine by me.

I'm well psyched for next year at City Hall.
Will start training in October - any tips?

No, I am not SYKED.
Why does the spell checker not detect the word SYKED?
Oh, I see. Coz its in capitals. It doesn't like syked though. It wants to put 'sucked' instead. Interesting.   ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal