UKBouldering.com

Did anyone manage to climb in the Eastern Peak today ? (Read 50422 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Had a run along burbage. Most stuff looked dry with a bit of ice on some tops. Conditions no doubt good if you could stay warm. Sun was even out. Bitter cold breeze though.

Oli

• obsessive maniac
I think  I saw you running in that case? I was the chap standing around Remergence waiting for the sun to go in.

Conditions weren't too bad, slight damp feel occasionally and holds seemed to pick up moisture from just touching them.
For me though being weak was more of a problem than the conditions. It was quite hard to stay warm too.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

Conditions weren't too bad, slight damp feel occasionally and holds seemed to pick up moisture from just touching them.

I've had this before. I think it happens when you get tiny ice crystals in the rock which melt when you touch the holds.

benpritch

• forum abuser
was at west and it was fairly terrible with verglas on all the top outs and tricky to stand when you were off your mats. brrrrr.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Walked up to Back Tor. Utterly Arctic up there, everything covered in frost from the freezing fog, ground rock solid etc etc. With the wind chill it must have been minus double figures. I wouldn't plan on any Derwent bouldering this weekend... :whistle:

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
Does anyone think Blind Fig will be in a climbable state tomorrow?

Oli

• obsessive maniac
It was dry this afternoon, so should be as long as there isn't driving rain/snow onto it tonight. Only problem was the aforementioned holds getting slightly damp as soon as you touch them. It's cold too, the car reckoned -2 at 1700 this evening.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
The amount of hoare frost after the fog lifted may queer the pitch.

PS bling fig would be climable if someone bolted some jugs on it...

Yossarian

• forum hero
Well, I braved the lukewarm drizzle this afternoon and wandered up to Stanage. It was moist. Really moist.

In fact, the only thing that I could find that was dry was Help the Young.  Which was what I intended to have a look at.  But unfortunately since my last semi-successful attempt some three years ago I have entirely forgotten what to do, and my soft and weak fingers barely got me off the ground.

galpinos

• forum hero

As it's brightening up in Manchester at the mo, is it doing the same on the eastern side of the peak? Keen for an afternoon session.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

As it's brightening up in Manchester at the mo, is it doing the same on the eastern side of the peak? Keen for an afternoon session.

Still fairly grey, but has pretty much stopped raining/drizzling and theres a bit of a breeze but I doubt it'll dry out properly.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
go to almscliff, it was mint yesterday

galpinos

• forum hero
go to almscliff, it was mint yesterday

I've not actually made the drive over to Yorkshire since moving north. That's a good plan.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

Still fairly grey, but has pretty much stopped raining/drizzling and theres a bit of a breeze but I doubt it'll dry out properly.
Ye of little faith. I'll wager most exposed S/E facing stuff in the peak will be fully dry this arvo. I'm banking on that anyway. I'll report back later.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I could well be eating my words, there are holes in the clouds now from up in Fulwood so it may well dry out in places.

galpinos

• forum hero
Ye of little faith. I'll wager most exposed S/E facing stuff in the peak will be fully dry this arvo. I'm banking on that anyway. I'll report back later.

I'm counting on your local knowledge Bonjoy. Due to my total unoriginality, I'll probably end up on the trackside boulder.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
There was a bit of showeryness but the climbing was dry all afternoon at Birchen

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Does it look like anything might be climbable today?

dave

looks alright at the moment. if i wasn't bound to the eternal drudgery of a 9-5 job i'd be trying burbage right now.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
FBSF has just returned from a fruitless trip out - its wet.

dave

broomgrove then?

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Anyone been out today, assuming with the supposed dry weather tomorrow should be mint?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Today was ok, none of the forecast sunshine and still damp in places. Bit raw in the wind. Sticky though, and should be still tomorrow.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
Has anyone been out to Burbage South in the last few days? I m wondering if its worth a trip down tommorrow, I ve heard there is still snow melting away steadily at some of the other crags :(

north_country_boy

• junky
It wouldn't be my first choice of destination in the peak at the moment. Its cold still but snow is melting during the day so stuff is getting damp. Not much wind either really. I imagine its very dank and green at the minute.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal