UKBouldering.com

Did anyone manage to climb in the Eastern Peak today ? (Read 49985 times)

Dolly

• forum hero
I talked to fatdoc about 11.30 on his way back from a sadly wet Burbage S.
Did anyone find any cold dry rock ?

etjoset

• addict
  • Twiddle that knob
Friction at Rowtor was fanastic today, though a few of the topouts were lethal. Cratcliffe would have been good too. Clear blue sky and bone dry rock when I drove past the Roaches/Ramshaw at 11am this morning.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
Obviously not the Eastern Peak, but the Roaches were mostly dry today, and in good nick, but very cold with an icy wind. Ramshaw didn't look quite as dry and was glowing luminous green, but there were two people climbing there.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Dr T did Banana Finger Reverse, but said everything else was wet.

cofe

• forum hero
plenty to do at burb north. ice on top of some stuff. things icy rather than wet.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Secret Garden was all spot on apart from the side wall right of Dick Williams.

Gardom's North was pretty good in general, Moorside Rocks looked similar.

I know someone who did several routes at Lawrencefields.

Burbizzle Sizzle and Gardom's South looked ming.

dave

you're all cunts.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
I realise it's a bit late, but do people think stanage plantation will be dry tomorrow morning? I'm not asking for crystal ball shit, just what you think if you were out today. Ta.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
Was pucker down the Churnet, and Baltic at the Roaches late afternoon!

Plantation tmo? Either gonna be damp under the cloud OR glassy as hell if the sun pops out!

etjoset

• addict
  • Twiddle that knob
I realise it's a bit late, but do people think stanage plantation will be dry tomorrow morning? I'm not asking for crystal ball shit, just what you think if you were out today. Ta.

I doubt it very much. The whole of Stanage was plastered in thick haw frost, the likes of which i haven't seen in some years. The temperature didn't lift all day, so it will be the same for Sunday. Plenty of other places in good condition tough, so all is not lost.

abarro81

• forum hero
Not only managed to get out, but did my first 7b+ too  ;D some of plantation must've been ok yesterday cos one of my mates told me he did deliverance.. Some of north was ok: remergence bit, bannana fingers, apparantly terrace, west was ok but bitter in the breeze..

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
go on mate, do tell....

was it WSS???

that haw frost was awesome, but it ruined any chances for me to climb this weekend  >:(

abarro81

• forum hero
na, blind date.. got on westside again after.. and.... fell off the same move again. on the bright side, i didn't fall off before that move but still struggling to find a way to move that left foot and i've bruised my 'pebble finger' from trying too hard to hold on:(

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Conditions were the best since winter before last, improved as the day went on. Some spots of ice on B north but nothing to stop the motivated, by the end of the day all remergence area was dry, plus Striker, Terrace, Banana finger etc. Conditions more than made up for the odd ice spot. Burb W ALL in VERY good nick except for initial arete which always ices up.

Off to the plantation now, will be very surprised if there's not some very grippy rock.

saltbeef

• forum hero
not really the peak, but honourary peak cos its ace, Caley must have been climbable cos Ed did Zoo York yesterday!! have somme waddage!

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
obviously not the peak, but almscliff was amazing yesterday. caley was under mist and cloud so much waddage for that zoo york send. was at caley thursday.. very frosty all day.. lots not climbable because of damp / frosty topouts, but what was climbable was in amazing nick...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero

I doubt it very much. The whole of Stanage was plastered in thick haw frost, the likes of which i haven't seen in some years. The temperature didn't lift all day, so it will be the same for Sunday.

Hope you didn't pay any attention to this, plantation today was as good friction as I have ever experienced - real cheating conditions. There was some hoar, but mainly on the crag. The few topouts it did affect could easily have been rendered climbable with five minutes effort, in fact I did two without bothering to clean them. Amazing nick.

that haw frost was awesome, but it ruined any chances for me to climb this weekend  Angry

Plantation tmo? Either gonna be damp under the cloud OR glassy as hell if the sun pops out!

WTF are you guys on? What does it take to get you out, blue skies? Ah well, keeps the crags quiet I guess.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I must confess that I wasn't convinced how Saturday's conditions would be when I was driving back from Hathersage on Friday night through freezing fog, light drizzle, and masses of frost forming. I think it's natural to be a bit put off, was quite surprised just how good it was. SYKED now ;)

I mostly agree with Dave  ;D

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
The few topouts it did affect could easily have been rendered climbable with five minutes effort, in fact I did two without bothering to clean them.
LOOK AT ME

Dolly

• forum hero
We ended up at the Plantation as well. Where it was dry it was awesome conditions as said.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
plantation today was as good friction as I have ever experienced - real cheating conditions.

Wtf are you wtfing about?  Bitterly cold it might have been, but there was a slight dampness in the air, and on the rock, which made it far from 'best ever'.  It seems to me you're getting a bit carried away when proving points.   

Nigel

• forum hero
Couldn't agree more with those FACTS. The best conditions day EVER was when I pulled onto the Joker for 20 minutes. I couldn't pull on at all on Sunday, which proves the point. Oh my god I was soooo FLAMBOYANT that day!!!!!!!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
The best conditions day EVER was when I pulled onto the Joker for 20 minutes.

Thats beastly hanging on there for 20 minutes, did you top out or drop off?  ;)

AndiT

• forum abuser
I'm still a firm believer in the fact that it doesn't need to be freezing temperatures for the best conditions. Wind and humidity make a greater affect on the conditions. Too cold and not only are your fingers and toes numbing, but the rock ends up feeling glassy and your skin feels shiny. Best conditions I've ever felt have been on days when the temperature has been around 7 degrees or so. Needless to say, I climbed both days this weekend and it was good, but it was too cold.

Given these supposedly 'awesome/cheating' conditions this weekend, did anyone get anything amazing done or did any long standing projects fall? Surely that would be the proof in the pudding...

cofe

• forum hero
I'm still a firm believer in the fact that it doesn't need to be freezing temperatures for the best conditions. Wind and humidity make a greater affect on the conditions. Too cold and not only are your fingers and toes numbing, but the rock ends up feeling glassy and your skin feels shiny. Best conditions I've ever felt have been on days when the temperature has been around 7 degrees or so.

fully agree with you there word. too cold and the body doesn't work. reckon it was a bit damp this weekend. try telling that to The Point Prover though. no chance.

it was lovely out though with all the frost n shit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal