UKBouldering.com

Caley conditions (Read 146328 times)

BenF

• forum hero
#100 Re: Caley conditions
February 22, 2010, 04:08:03 pm
To be fair to Andi, he was talking about his Sunday morning. 

Now I still think it was a waste of a good day to laze in bed until ten, let alone two in the afternoon, but I'm sure Andi was up by six thirty this morning and straight down to Jobcentreplus to check out the bright new opportunities available to such a well qualified and promising young man.

daddy long legs

• player
#101 Re: Caley conditions
February 22, 2010, 06:42:39 pm
Pretty sure I know the answer, what with all the snow, but is Caley gonna be f*cked tomorrow?

andy_e

• forum hero
#102 Re: Caley conditions
February 23, 2010, 01:07:40 am
Hope not but doubt it. I'm going to pop along then sack it to the 'cliff if it's wet.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#103 Re: Caley conditions
February 23, 2010, 07:56:49 am
Was covered in snow yest. you could maybe potter on the bottom of probs but no topping out. Shame.

sjw

• obsessive maniac
#104 Re: Caley conditions
March 04, 2010, 08:27:53 am
Roadside was mostly decent yesterday.

Zoo York - a little bit damp/snowy on top but climbable. Finishing Ju Ju Club holds were slightly damp but nothing too grim.
Secret Seventh- Snow had just started to melt off the top, but there wasn't much up there so hopefully will be gone by the weekend.
Everything else I looked at was dry, except the side wall of New Jerusalem which was saturated.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#105 Re: Caley conditions
March 04, 2010, 10:38:12 pm
All looked up well up there today. Did New Jerusalem properly which was nice. Blockbuster etc dry.

Incidentally (couldn't think of anywhere else to put this) I accidentally knocked a pebble off this:
http://www.yorkshiregrit.com/problem.html?id=caley__rsg_2#comments

Don't think its very important as none of the people on the pics are using it which is good (the way I was trying it tonight this was crucial!). Had a good look for it but its long gone into the undergrowth.
 :oops:

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#106 Re: Caley conditions
March 04, 2010, 11:16:41 pm
Good rockover problem that one Will, Don't recall using a pebble for anything.

BenF

• forum hero
#107 Re: Caley conditions
March 05, 2010, 08:07:01 am
Good rockover problem that one Will, Don't recall using a pebble for anything.

Likewise, I don't use a pebble.  Just rock over and palm down until you can stand up.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#108 Re: Caley conditions
March 06, 2010, 05:34:16 pm
Anyone been today? How was it looking?

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#109 Re: Caley conditions
March 08, 2010, 12:54:28 pm
pretty decent on friday late on at the roadside, although Secret seventh didn't feel in great nick (bit "greasy"). Had a few goes on Ben's Groove which wasn't too bad (unlike my feeble attempts). Also Zoo York was looking good, Blockbuster waslI thought it was also ok.

......and then it rained for most of saturday. I took my bike through the woods to the crag end which looked horrifically wet and green around 4pm.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for today but a day or so more of this fine dry weather and it might be game on by mid-week.

<prepares for "bullshit" calls>

galpinos

• forum hero
#110 Re: Caley conditions
March 08, 2010, 01:26:05 pm

Was there yesterday. Mint conditions on what we climbed (or tried to climb or looked at).

New Jerusalem, Horn Left, Forked Lightening Crack, Cream Egg Eliminate (great problem!), Chicken Head area, Blockbuster.

Hanging Flake was damp and green, as was the Pinch.

sjw

• obsessive maniac
#111 Re: Caley conditions
March 08, 2010, 03:17:30 pm
Just got back from Caley and didn't see any wet rock, crag or roadside...It was super primo conditions this morning.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#112 Re: Caley conditions
March 09, 2010, 08:45:30 am
I will probably go tomorrow afternoon. Absolutely lovely 20 mins down the road in Pudsey

youngy

• player
#113 Re: Caley conditions
March 13, 2010, 07:31:05 pm
heading there tomorrow (sunday)
anybody been today? Is it worth the drive from liverpool?

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#114 Re: Caley conditions
March 13, 2010, 08:30:37 pm
It was fine on Thurs, can't see it having changed much.

rich d

• forum hero
#115 Re: Caley conditions
March 13, 2010, 09:11:50 pm
Was there today and it was in pretty good nick, new jerusalem looked wet but was actually ok. Blockbuster was bone dry. Bit hot in the sun if anything - tshirt weather

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#116 Re: Caley conditions
March 27, 2010, 06:04:37 pm
Hi, guys going to Yorkshire for the Easter weekend with the girlfriend so we can get on some real rock for the first time, we will be armed with lots of enthusiasm, a newly purchased moon Saturn pad, and a car.
We are currently both bouldering on V0's and V1's comfortably indoors with the occasional V2, Caley Crag looks to be the place to go for stuff around this kind of grade level, will probably have a crack at my first V3 too if i'm feeling it on the day, was just wondering if you guys had any do's/don'ts or advice relating to Caley Crag, seeing as I have never been to Yorkshire, and never bouldered on actual rock yet!
Also do you think it sounds sensible for our ability level or should we look elsewhere?

flyguy

• addict
#117 Re: Caley conditions
March 27, 2010, 07:15:54 pm
Caleys got plenty to go at, the forecast is snow this week apparently so id check that. might be good to start at the playground area if it is your first time theres plenty to play on with good landings. take it from there, have fun!

tomtom

• forum hero
#118 Re: Caley conditions
March 27, 2010, 07:47:55 pm
Hi, guys going to Yorkshire for the Easter weekend with the girlfriend so we can get on some real rock for the first time, we will be armed with lots of enthusiasm, a newly purchased moon Saturn pad, and a car.
We are currently both bouldering on V0's and V1's comfortably indoors with the occasional V2, Caley Crag looks to be the place to go for stuff around this kind of grade level, will probably have a crack at my first V3 too if i'm feeling it on the day, was just wondering if you guys had any do's/don'ts or advice relating to Caley Crag, seeing as I have never been to Yorkshire, and never bouldered on actual rock yet!
Also do you think it sounds sensible for our ability level or should we look elsewhere?

If Caleys damp - head over the valley to Almscliff - it dries much much faster. Caleys probably a more friendly place to start at, but theres stacks to go at that level at the cliff too..

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#119 Re: Caley conditions
March 27, 2010, 07:52:52 pm
Awesome, thanks very much for the advice :)

BenF

• forum hero
#120 Re: Caley conditions
April 02, 2010, 10:43:28 am
In case anyone is interested...  I was surprised to find Caley in remarkably good condition yesterday (Thursday), despite all the rain of the past few days.  Not many damp patches and only in the usual places (Terry, left of New Jerusalem, and more so in the trees up top).  The good drying wind must be really helping and it kept the friction very good too, much better than it often is at this time of year on a sunny day.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#121 Re: Caley conditions
April 03, 2010, 10:03:20 pm

Wow what a weekend, we went straight to The Roaches in the end, went up the wrong hill by accident, had a nice hike but lost 2 hours in between this, finding out we went the wrong way, and then having to go back the right way.
So we got there and it was amazing, including the weather.....for all of an hour, then it rained dammit!
Was really gutted as the place looked amazing, the problems looked amazing, it was absolutely stunning, so we had a good walk around, and checked out the boulders for future reference, definitely going to go back for another visit, this time hopefully in better weather.
Then today we went to Burbage South boulders, not quite as impressed with the quality of the problems, or the scenery, it was ok....but if I was going to go back anywhere it would be The Roaches, now that place is awesome!
It went quite well, however we got rained off after a couple of hours  so then went to the climbing works in Sheffield, also amazing! So all in all a great weekend despite shitty weather in parts, thanks for all the advice everyone :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#122 Re: Caley conditions
April 04, 2010, 07:31:28 am
Should have hung around, forecast for today is pretty good.

BenF

• forum hero
#123 Re: Caley conditions
October 08, 2010, 08:02:04 am
So, we start the annual Greenwatch season.  Yes, Caley is green, but how damp?  Anyone passed that way in the last few days?

youngy

• player
#124 Re: Caley conditions
October 08, 2010, 10:56:12 pm
Spoke to Burrows today and he was there last night and it was damp

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal