UKBouldering.com

Singapore (Read 2441 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Singapore
December 07, 2007, 11:30:34 pm
I've got my heart set on a year out to study in Singapore. What's the climbing like there?

In order of preference:
1. Trad
2. Sport
3. Bouldering (Sorry)

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#1 Re: Singapore
December 08, 2007, 08:39:32 pm
I believe there is one actual crag on the island, but there's def a couple of indoor (well plywood) walls.

I think there's a mountaineering club in Singapore. To be honest flights out to Krabi can be had pretty cheaply. That's your best bet. There's a lot of land to explore what with Vietnam, and Thailand. I haven't heard anything about Indo, but you could find a new Stanage?

It's a bit of a strange place Singapore. It's cool, very cool, but very weird. The entire country being one big city. Public transport is cheap and easy though. Very, very easy!

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#2 Re: Singapore
December 10, 2007, 05:16:18 am
the crag you're thinking of is Dairy Farm Cliff (or something like that anyway) - think its meant to be ok but nothing special.

Other than that it's all plastic so when you want to get on the rock you'll be better off spending lots of long weekends in Krabi or exploring bits of Malaysia

Think there's a pretty thriving climbing community in SGP and the climbers i've met from there have all been really friendly so shouldn't be too hard to find willing partners in crime

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3 Re: Singapore
December 12, 2007, 10:59:33 am
Thats a bit more reassuring than what I feared. I guess if there's prospects of finding and developing new crags then that'd be good too. I guess I'll just have to tell the atmosphere to fuck off and rack up plenty of airtime to Thailand.

Hydraulic Man

• player
#4 Re: Singapore
December 12, 2007, 11:34:07 am
Or fly 45 minutes and hit Batu Caves-Plenty to keep you busy there.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#5 Re: Singapore
December 14, 2007, 05:31:18 am
I guess if there's prospects of finding and developing new crags then that'd be good too.

Not within Singapore I'm afraid - think East Anglia but with hot humid weather and you're not far off the topography you'd be signing up to (wouldn't be my first choice of place to head too - find the lifestyle etc there a bit on the sterile side)

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#6 Re: Singapore
December 14, 2007, 05:35:13 am
Or fly 45 minutes and hit Batu Caves-Plenty to keep you busy there.

looks like plenty of rock there (didn't see any climbers when I went though) but the setting didn't do much for me - next to busy highway etc. Just came across as a bit grotty

guess I'm just a fussy fucker

Hydraulic Man

• player
#7 Re: Singapore
December 14, 2007, 12:26:14 pm
Actually the best crags are not near the highway but sort of round the corner and through someones backyard! One wall there has some impressive looking routes up to 8A+-You would not travel especially to go there but if you live there it is more than adequate.....and way better than Dairy farm quarry!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal