UKBouldering.com

That picture that used to be outside the Foundry... (Read 5681 times)

erm, sam

• forum hero
You know, the one of Jerry. In The Real Thing after they get snowed out of Font he says "thats me, and this is mine" as he points at the massive two colour picture outside the Foundry...
Anybody got a picture of it? A bit random I know, but I couldn't find it on the World Wide Computer Network. Can anybody help me out? Major waddage if anybody pulls this off!

grimer

• forum hero
I'm pretty sure that the original pic it was taken from was used in Boreal Ad in Mountain mag, perhaps the route is called La Ouate

andy popp

• forum hero
Its an 8a at Buoux I think. Isn't it the one with fatboyslimfast belaying?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
It was taken from a photo of Diagonale De Fou, 8a at Buoux.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

erm, sam

• forum hero
Thank you chaps, I knew you wouldn't let me down.

andy popp

• forum hero
Always thought it was a cool shot. However, it looks like he's getting some pathetic dish but I remember being told that under his hand is a sinker Buoux pocket? Am I imagining that?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
good effort an remembering the belayer andy!

and yes, there is a sinker pocket just under his hand, IIRC lucian belayed him for a lift the next day to the train station ( it's a pain to get to the route.... starts 1/2 way up the crag)... jerry tried to flash it, failed...did it real quick and then got the photo session done all in a day!

andy popp

• forum hero
There you go Sam, more than anyone could possibly want (or need) to know about that particular photo.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
I once went round to look at a house (potentially to buy it) and on the wall in the stair well was the sillouette image of Jerry on said route.  Don't know who's house or whether it was the original image from outside the Foundry ....

discuss

Paul B

• forum hero
good effort an remembering the belayer andy!

and yes, there is a sinker pocket just under his hand, IIRC lucian belayed him for a lift the next day to the train station ( it's a pain to get to the route.... starts 1/2 way up the crag)... jerry tried to flash it, failed...did it real quick and then got the photo session done all in a day!

So is this a case of someone using a duff sequence to get a better picture or is that the way?

erm, sam

• forum hero
There you go Sam, more than anyone could possibly want (or need) to know about that particular photo.

Yeah, I loved the bish-bash-bosh old school legends weaving a picture of a bygone age for me. Three replies and it was all over bar the nostalging.  I almost got dewey eyed.
I might try again with an even more obscure ask: Inside cover of the 1921 East Woking Shale guide anybody?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
I once went round to look at a house (potentially to buy it) and on the wall in the stair well was the sillouette image of Jerry on said route.  Don't know who's house or whether it was the original image from outside the Foundry ....

discuss

We're still waiting for the answer on this one....

andy_e

• forum hero
I might try again with an even more obscure ask: Inside cover of the 1921 East Woking Shale guide anybody?

erm, sam

• forum hero
Nice try, but I think you'll find thats the 1927 edition.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk

life is not about what you need. It"s about (getting) what you want. Sam just got what he wanted.

andy popp

• forum hero
Yeah, I loved the bish-bash-bosh old school legends weaving a picture of a bygone age for me.

We bish bash boshers always aim to please.

Alan James, Rockfax

• player
    • www.ukclimbing.com
That picture and the resulting boards in the car park were the result of about a month's work for me and a couple of others. Paul Reeve and Jerry asked me to design a logo for them and in the end we came up with that. I lifted the design off the photo posted above and Heinz Zak (or whoever took it?) was happy for us to use it for the logo.

I actually did a load of different Foundry designs and, for some curious reason, I still have them all - http://www.rockfax.com/images/i.php?id=795

The other names being contemplated for the place were 'Jerry's Wall' and 'Steel River'.

Seems a long time ago now..

Alan

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Yeah, I loved the bish-bash-bosh old school legends weaving a picture of a bygone age for me. Three replies and it was all over bar the nostalging.  I almost got dewey eyed.

Fucking hell we're not that Old Skool. Well I'm not, I can't vouch for Andy..........

Seems a long time ago now..

Alan

It was.  ;)

dave

cracking - this is the type of thing that should have been in that foundry mag article recently, not that load of boring shite it actually ended up being.

anyone got any more anecdotes, like whoever it was who landed on the cafe roof etc?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a

If it was called "Jerry's Wall" you'd have to open another 20 of them scattered around the country to match all the Jerry's Traverses and Jerry' Aretes etc.
The dismembered yellow hand is quite funky.  Shame you couldn't use this though:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I'm just so glad it wasn't called "Jerry's Wall".  :wank:

On the subject of the Foundry does anyone know what the "Foundry Pinches Problem" is which Andy Harris quoted as being English 7b in a thread about said grade a while ago?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Quote from: Andy Harris from 2004
7b moves in the UK: hubble crux, sampson, Gaskins problems, Quintessence, No of things at School, foundry pinch problem

:-\

Norton Sharley

• forum hero

DT, miles out from a wobbly threaded M24 nut placed between a seagulls feet, wearing supertight black 3/4 black lycra leggings and skin tight black polar neck top?

Paul B

• forum hero
I'm just so glad it wasn't called "Jerry's Wall".  :wank:

On the subject of the Foundry does anyone know what the "Foundry Pinches Problem" is which Andy Harris quoted as being English 7b in a thread about said grade a while ago?

possibly the feature problem on the wave, there's a couple of variations between around Fnt7c+-8a+ I think? One of the pinches crumbled a bit making one variation a bit harder.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal