UKBouldering.com

Motivation and Continuity (Read 3091 times)

clgladiator

• menacing presence
  • a deceptively
    • Climbing Photography
Motivation and Continuity
October 15, 2008, 02:35:47 pm
Does anyone have any tips to improve your motiivation. For a while i have had a training plan, however i find it hard to get continuity as life always seems to get in the way.
Any tips for overcoming these problems and gaining motivation or is just sack up and get on with it?

Chris

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Re: Motivation and Continuity
October 15, 2008, 02:46:50 pm
Good topic.

Not really sure of simple answers, but some thoughts:

> find things that really inspire you, inspiration leads to motivation.

> accept the cycle of motivation going up and down, realise that ability and opportunity waxes and wanes and it will come back after a low period.

> diversify, look for other aspects of climbing (or life) that are inspiring.

> find simple training options that can more easily be fitted in around life e.g. fingerboards running etc etc.

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Motivation and Continuity
October 15, 2008, 03:09:05 pm
This is something i've suffered from lately so....

all the things fiendy said but add

Enjoyment, if you enjoy what you're doing you're far more likely to stay motivated and find the time. Ultimately if you're not enjoying it, whats the point?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#3 Re: Motivation and Continuity
October 15, 2008, 03:25:01 pm

I initiated a weekly thread on ukclimbing.com for this very reason called UKC Fit Club. I love climbing and had goals but generally found training and bouldering a chore.

The idea is to post each week, every week on the thread, however little or much you have done. By making a regular public record of your activities and restating your goals every week could help instill good training habits on a continuing basis.

Its on week 82 now I think. I've found it useful as have quite a few others.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#4 Re: Motivation and Continuity
October 15, 2008, 03:40:37 pm
Ultimately if you're not enjoying it, whats the point?

the point could be that you're not actually enjoying training at the time, however you're not training for now you're training for later.

daley thompson hated doing weights. he did them because they were necessarry for him to be as good as he could be. no-one else, him

a dense loner

• forum hero
#5 Re: Motivation and Continuity
October 15, 2008, 03:45:58 pm
just to clarify what i meant. i'm log at climbing, if i didn't get/stay motivated and train i would be a lot logger. for me that is all the reason to train

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: Motivation and Continuity
October 15, 2008, 03:47:46 pm
Ultimately if you're not enjoying it, whats the point?

the point could be that you're not actually enjoying training at the time, however you're not training for now you're training for later.

daley thompson hated doing weights. he did them because they were necessarry for him to be as good as he could be. no-one else, him
Point taken. I was trying to convey that if you made your training program more appealing, you're more likely to stay psyched and actually find time to fit it in. You have to be on very psyched individual to force yourself to spend free time doing something you actively dislike.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#7 Re: Motivation and Continuity
October 15, 2008, 03:56:46 pm
When I am on a trip I come back certain I will train hard so I won't have the same disspointment I get from not doing a problem I want to. But then life gets in the way and the cycle repeats. I have read about people just accepting training is boring and getting on with it but I haven't got the hang of this.

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Motivation and Continuity
October 15, 2008, 04:00:58 pm
after watching in awe as Dave Graham's forearms appeared to be hydraulically assisted last night at the works I'm beginning to doubt whether or not training is of any use whatsoever. It's certainly not going to get me what he's got  ;D

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: Motivation and Continuity
October 15, 2008, 04:08:57 pm
after watching in awe as Dave Graham's forearms appeared to be hydraulically assisted last night at the works....

Looks a bit old :shrug:

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#10 Re: Motivation and Continuity
October 15, 2008, 04:56:26 pm
Are you climbing outside enough? Seems like most people on here are lucky to live in the northern half of the country. If you're not motivated being close to rock then you're mad!

(Only mad because if you live down south the rock there is happens to be arse - except dartmoor)

clgladiator

• menacing presence
  • a deceptively
    • Climbing Photography
#11 Re: Motivation and Continuity
October 15, 2008, 05:52:02 pm
I live in winchester, lol. Arse all rock here :(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal