UKBouldering.com

Recommend me a motherboard- please (Read 8097 times)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 02, 2007, 11:09:47 pm
Right then.  Looking at creating a new PC.  Plan is for a Core 2 Quad processor, 4GB RAM initially, 512 or above Graphics, decent soundcard, CD/DVD/DualLayer drive, HD compatible Beast.  I'd like RAID available for later, but I may not use it straight away.
I've trawled through loads of confusing reviews and I'm no better off.  Can some people in the know give me nod towards the dog's bollocks.  Cheers.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 03, 2007, 06:28:51 am
shouldn't this be in computer section?
Whats your budget? anything over £80 will get you a very good motherboard
to use over 2GB of ram you have to be running a 64 bit operating system.
I usually stick with ABIT or ASUS boards.
Will be getting a quad core myself very soon with any luck.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 03, 2007, 08:09:03 am
Computing- yeah sorry, I'm sure a mod could move it as appropriate.
Budget up to 150 but obviously I'd rather spend less if I could still get something good with a bit of future-proofness.
Microsoft say you can run 4GB of RAM on a 32 bit system, but only 2GB at once.  ie you can only really utilise 2GB.  Seems a bizarre way of putting it.
I've looked at various board around the 80-100 quid mark, but there's a lot to compare.  Also, there's conflicting info on Core 2 Quad support even within the Intel camp. 
Thanks Jim.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 03, 2007, 10:47:58 am
This seems to fit the bill nicely?   :-\
Mind you this looks a better deal.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 10:57:14 am by GCW »

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 03, 2007, 09:12:17 pm
Interestingly, the home versions of Vista seem to be 32bit, but the OEM versions are 64.  Am I mis-reading or is this the case?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#5 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 03, 2007, 09:59:56 pm
Also, there's conflicting info on Core 2 Quad support even within the Intel camp. 
What they saying?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#6 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 03, 2007, 10:13:29 pm
Some Intel MoBos say they don't support Core 2 Quad, but when you check the Intel site for cores it says they do.
Since the Core 2 Quad isn't a true quad core (ie it's just 2x Duo bolted together in one processor) it should (theoretically) work with any MoBo supporting duo, but this doesn't seem to be true.  And to confuse things more some boards say they are OK with Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme but not Quad?!?!
Just looked at the Vista/XP x64 help site.  Clear as mud.  Bloody Windows.  But it seems standard home Vista doesn't support 64 bit, you need the OEM version of Vista or XP Pro x64 (I reckon I'd prefer the latter).

Anyway, I'm thinking I'd go with the second board I linked
Mind you this looks a better deal.
with the Q6600 Quad processor, and initially 2GB RAM and then upgrade later when I manage to get things going.
I'm sure you know more than me Jim, so your input has been appreciated.  Cheers.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#7 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 03, 2007, 11:13:02 pm
why do you want more than 2gig ram?
Obviously I will be getting more than 2 gig on my next machine but only when a decent 64 bit stable operating system is available from the interweb and of course when the proper quad cores are cheap and my machine will crush uncle's at benchmarking, no other reason for more than 2 gig ram really.
I would consider going for an asus board, I really rate their stuff

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#8 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 03, 2007, 11:20:49 pm
I don't need more than 2GB of RAM, I was just toying with the idea and looking at all the options.  Looking into it I may just stick to 2GB, with a board with an 8GB option:  hat Asus one I linked seems decent enough.  Also, avoiding 64 bit at present is seeming more and more like a good idea.  And I could keep XP from my current CD-ROM, hence saving a bit of money for something else.   ;D Now, RAID or no RAID.....   :o
Thanks Jim.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#9 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 03, 2007, 11:22:58 pm
ps don't bother future proofing, sell your computer in a year or so and build a new one. This is by far the cheapest way to maintain dominance of the benchmark crushing league.
Also you get to build an ace computer every year.
I'm 18 months behind. Anyone want to buy a decent computer?

Raid, I think most motherboards support up to 7 or 8 sata as std anyway

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#10 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 03, 2007, 11:26:08 pm
True, but do you gain much and is it complex to sort?  I've never had experience of it so all I know is from reading on the net and a lot of opinoin suggests not bothering  :shrug:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#11 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 03, 2007, 11:33:13 pm
Ignore me when I talk about raid, I have no idea what I'm on about, I have no idea about raid either. All I know is nothing.
What is raid?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#12 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 04, 2007, 07:55:22 am
I understand the concept of RAID but when it comes to deciding if it's a good idea or whether to go for RAID 1, RAID 0+1 or RAID 5 I start to feel ill.
Keep it simple.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 06, 2007, 10:03:49 am
Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBOD#Concatenation_.28JBOD_or_SPAN.29

Say you have 2 100gb disks - basically RAID 0 is like just using them like 2 normal IDE disks, giving you 200gb storage.

With RAID 1 the two disks will mirror each other - so you'll have 2 copies of the same 100gb of data - great for guarding against disk failure coz if one disk fails, you just (well sort of) pop another one in and continue with no data loss.

RAID 2 and above is unlikely to concern you in a normal user environment.

I just use SATA RAID 0 but really should use RAID 1 but of course it's hardly a cheap option coz you need to double up all your disks.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#14 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 06, 2007, 10:17:57 am
Cheers, I've read that already but when I've chatted to people they recommend at least 3 HDDs with RAID (I assume this is not RAID 1?).  I assume the more drives the more secure, but they suggested avoiding using 2.  Which confused me a bit.
Stupid question:  If you use 2 drives at 100GB mirrored (ie RAID 1), does that mean you only have 100GB storage in total?
RAID 5
RAID 1
RAID confusatron :lol:

Just ordered 2GB RAM for 29 quid so the project is underway.  Slowly.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#15 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 06, 2007, 10:39:38 am
This sums it up quite well:

RAID offers many advantages over the use of single hard disks, but it is clearly not for everyone. The potential for increased capacity, performance and reliability are attractive, but they come with real costs. Nothing in life is free.

It is essential to keep in mind that with RAID, it's definitely the case that "the devil is in the details". Most common blanket statements made about RAID like "RAID improves availability" or "RAID is for companies that need fast database service" or "RAID level 5 is better than RAID level 0" are only true at best part of the time. In almost every case, it depends. Usually, what RAID is and what it does for you depends on what type you choose and how you implement and manage it. For example, for some applications RAID 5 is better than RAID 0; for others, RAID 0 is vastly superior to RAID 5! There are situations where a RAID design, hardware and software that would normally result in high reliability could result instead in disaster if they are not properly controlled.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#16 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 06, 2007, 12:14:47 pm
Just ordered 2GB RAM for 29 quid so the project is underway.  Slowly.
What speed, brand and where from?

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#17 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 06, 2007, 12:56:14 pm
this is something you probably already know, but for others... If you are considering a RAID approach then don't think you'll be using any onboard RAID stuff. For a decent RAID setup you need a decent RAID controller which will cost anywhere between £50-500. Is there a difference? Yes. What is it? You'll have to resort to google for that because there are so many different cards and so many different reviews. I'm about to take the plunge on a new HDD to speed things up a bit...

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#18 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 06, 2007, 04:06:53 pm
What speed, brand and where from?
Here  I've been told by a few people it's pretty good, and for the price it's worth a go.   :shrug:
Unc:  Yeah, that's another thing I need to research more as I am unsure which driver would best.  Cheers for the addition though.  :thumbsup:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#19 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 06, 2007, 06:36:28 pm
that is cheap. Yeah Elixir is good stuff. I think that's what I'm running in mine at the minute, obviously I paid a lot more than that for it.
Microdirect is just round the corner from my house so I use them alot as well as www.aria.co.uk
Why not go for the faster memory its only £1.17 more. Also DDR3 is worth considering but is tres £££ at the mo.

Uncle drop me the knowledge on hard disc's. I want a smallish, very fast one to run my system on

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#20 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 06, 2007, 07:10:15 pm
The one near MRI?  Bunch of arses in there.  I only deal with them online so I don't have to speak to them.
I will no doubt upgrade soon but I've grabbed that deal while it lasts.  1/3 usual price ain't bad.
Yeah, Unc I'm listening too but I want around 1TB drive space.  Or more.   :o

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#21 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 06, 2007, 10:16:45 pm
I go to the one in stockport opposite McVities. Decent people in there and you get a nice smell of biscuits from over the road.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#22 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 06, 2007, 10:25:39 pm
Sounds better.  The Upper Brook Street one is awful.  Two sales guys on the floor, the other 6 stand around talking.  They are really condescending- if you don't have a PhD in computer design they take the piss.  When you try to buy something, you pay and then stand about for hours before they bother their arse to get your kit.

Or maybe it's just me :lol:

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#23 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 06, 2007, 10:50:23 pm
Hard drive answers;

Something small and very fast; Western Digital Raptor 150Gb. Spins at 10k, but is also a bit louder than your regular drive. Looking at about £120. Might seem expensive per Gb but you're paying for performance!

Something big (and very fast); Western Digital 750Gb. Make sure you buy the AAKS version. It is nearly as fast as a raptor (making it the fastest 7.2K drive around) and it also very large. You're looking at around £100 if you can find a good deal.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#24 Re: Recommend me a motherboard- please
December 08, 2007, 02:58:13 pm
This one, Unc?  Looks interesting.  4 platter of 200GB running together as a 750?  Neat.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 03:13:18 pm by GCW, Reason: Extra url added »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal